R2 Attendances

On 2/10/2019 at 12:54 PM, Sparse Attendance said:

I know it’s up to the home clubs to fill the stadium, but for some reason Leeds fans have never really been one for travelling to away games. They are a complete opposite to the city’s football club. 

At Huddersfield, they usually have the biggest support, but not by a lot, considering the distance, the success they've had, the size of their club, their travelling support is pretty poor relatively speaking, quite a few times over the last few years they've struggled to muster 2,000 supporters at Huddersfield, still good numbers compared to most, but in terms of percentage of their home support, pretty poor.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, fcl said:

9211 with few huddersfield fans (but very friendly). They came with a flag in honor of a player from the local rugby union club; One of these Englishmen wore a beret in the colors of the rugby union club. They were photographed with this flag and this to launch a little controversy on the part of fundamentalists treizistes

We took the flag to the game and presented it around the pitch and it now resides in Bar and Britz on Place Republique, Barend was a gentle giant who always looked after us in Perpignan, we needed to do a tribute to the big man!

The locals were very friendly and welcoming as always and we had a great weekend in Perpignan again, as you say, not many of us as the Lloret holiday makers stayed at home, but it's quality not quantity with us.

bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb1.jpg

2 minutes ago, meast said:

At Huddersfield, they usually have the biggest support, but not by a lot, considering the distance, the success they've had, the size of their club, their travelling support is pretty poor relatively speaking, quite a few times over the last few years they've struggled to muster 2,000 supporters at Huddersfield, still good numbers compared to most, but in terms of percentage of their home support, pretty poor.

It's strange one is this because I get the expectation that because Leeds have the highest homes crowds then there would be an assumption this would be reflected in away crowds too especially, as others have mentioned, the city's football team is synonymous with travelling in large numbers. But actually isn't the question here if other clubs apparently travel in such great numbers, why isn't that reflected (in relative terms) in their home crowds? 

Whilst away support is great - surely at the most basic level you're doing more to support your club by putting your money into their coffers at the home games?  All that said, and I don't have any stats to back this up, but I can say with a degree of certainty Leeds must have the highest average of away fans coming to the ground - whether that's because of it's central location along the M62 or because it's the potential to see their side take a scalp at Headingley I don't know, but Leeds will always do well for a crowd. As a previous poster said, pretty much every other club in SL (aside from maybe Wire and Saints) should be worried about why home fans aren't turning up instead of why a club like Leeds apparently travel in 'small' numbers 

9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It's strange one is this because I get the expectation that because Leeds have the highest homes crowds then there would be an assumption this would be reflected in away crowds too especially, as others have mentioned, the city's football team is synonymous with travelling in large numbers. But actually isn't the question here if other clubs apparently travel in such great numbers, why isn't that reflected (in relative terms) in their home crowds? 

Whilst away support is great - surely at the most basic level you're doing more to support your club by putting your money into their coffers at the home games?  All that said, and I don't have any stats to back this up, but I can say with a degree of certainty Leeds must have the highest average of away fans coming to the ground - whether that's because of it's central location along the M62 or because it's the potential to see their side take a scalp at Headingley I don't know, but Leeds will always do well for a crowd. As a previous poster said, pretty much every other club in SL (aside from maybe Wire and Saints) should be worried about why home fans aren't turning up instead of why a club like Leeds apparently travel in 'small' numbers 

It's be interesting to see a breakdown of away fans as a percentage of home crowd compared to football. I bet those kind of stats just aren't available with rugby though.

You couldn't compare like for like with Leeds Rhinos v Leeds United anyway as the latter pretty much always sell out away and the tickets go on a loyalty basis. I imagine this is true of Huddersfield now they're in the prem. I wonder how the Hull or Wigan compare with the respective football teams.

18 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I appreciate where you're coming from and do agree with most of it, we should be looking to get more people through the gates at every club, i was merely pointing out that Leeds' travelling support is nowhere near as big as it should be, relatively speaking, even our away numbers are poor, as a percentage to our home gates, compared to say, Salford, Wakefield, Castleford etc.

3 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Away fans are more likely to be young and male generally. Therefore would suggest Leeds attract more fans from outside that demographic.

I'd agree with that, I would also think in conjuction with that that Leeds have a lot of casual support in general. From experience the crowds at Headingley are quite diverse, especially in the Carnegie Terrace end. Leeds capitalise on being a city much more than any other club does or is able to. These aren't the travelling types to start with, and a Friday night in Wigan, as good as that might sound from a sporting proposition, just isn't worth it when one can watch it in your favourite watering hole without the hassle of travelling. 

Leeds have a core that travel away everywhere, thats obvious from the Facebook groups etc.

Good shout about the demographics, at Huddersfield, our core fanbase is apparently aged between 46-65and we also have a lot of young families with children, who obviously don't travel well on Thursday or Friday nights, we seem to lack a good number of, say 16-30 year olds who would be the ones to travel regularly, as seen with some clubs.

My team (Hunslet) must have one of the highest home to away ratios of fans. Whilst averaging 400ish  at home we take a full bus everywhere, plus those who travel by train and cars. We will take at least a hundred to donny away first match which is 25% of our home crowd. We took around 150 to Toronto which they said was pretty much the first time they had seen any kind of away support.

Away games are always a cracking day out and atmosphere, we just cant get people through the gates for home games.

Archived