RL in the South... What's happening???

I was under the impression that a new Southern Conference League with West and East Divisions was being planned.  Teams such as Hammersmith Hills Hoists, Torfaen Tigers, Valley Cougars, South London Silverbacks... etc... 

HOWEVER...

I cannot find anything on the internet out there which has up to date information.  Rugby-League.com just list 14 teams in two divisions but gives no further details that it is actually happening.

• Is there a website?
  • Is there a fixture list??
  • Are there indeed 14 teams spread over two divisions East and West???
  • Is it happening????
  • Does the tooth fairy really exist?????

Really want to know as I would like to take my son along to watch a few games.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is happening with fixtures commencing April 27, 14 teams split between Eat and West.  Why there is not a website or why you can not find the fixtures I have no idea, that's RFL responsibility.  The clubs were given the fixtures a few weeks ago.  The club I am involved in has our fixtures showing on our website https://www.allgoldsrugby.co.uk/fixtures/

The league itself is having a launch on February 23 at the London Broncos v Castleford Tigers match.

Shame... So the league is apparently having a launch on 23 February at London Broncos v Castleford Tigers and there is nothing to advertise it to Joe Public.

Well done RFL...

My concern is that if the RFL don't get behind this venture and make a proper effort at establishing it as THE League in the South then give it 4 years and it will sadly become another defunct competition.

• 1 month later...

The RFL have realised that they need to put a focus on the league as for far too long these new formations set up and then fail. 

This year the RFL have now allocated funding to each club in the SCL, they have also put in place a marketing team to support the SCL as well. 

Watch this space as I do believe that the RFL have woken up and finally recognise that there is a huge pot of talent in the south.

If you want fast up to date info keep supporting your local team and watch their, website, facebook, twitter and Instagram feeds.

www.slsilverbacks.com      

9 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I'm sure Haydock Warriors, Ulverston and Cutsyke Raiders will be thrilled to hear that the Southern teams are getting all this help from the RFL to develop their leagues.

LOL Pennine gets even less.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

9 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

The NCL clubs get enough funding to pay for one coach trip per season. Any league below that get nothing.

Teams in NWML get £100 to travel to South Cumbria. We get nothing for going the other way 10 times a year 

I didn't know that Shawy13. Thanks for telling me. I am quite surprised to hear that especially as so many of them still fail to travel. I will look further into that. Got a few contacts at local clubs who play up your way. Don't know how they justify that then. I have great sympathy for clubs like Dalton, Ulverston, Roose and Hindpool.

3 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I didn't know that Shawy13. Thanks for telling me. I am quite surprised to hear that especially as so many of them still fail to travel. I will look further into that. Got a few contacts at local clubs who play up your way. Don't know how they justify that then. I have great sympathy for clubs like Dalton, Ulverston, Roose and Hindpool.

Maybe if the clubs in barow & west cumbria played in a league together  instead of them player in the North west league they would spend less on travelling and wouldnt have clubs not travelling to them.

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Maybe if the clubs in barow & west cumbria played in a league together  instead of them player in the North west league they would spend less on travelling and wouldnt have clubs not travelling to them.

Its not that simple. Barrow was in Lancashire until about 1973 and some Cumberland clubs still don't accept Barrow clubs as Cumbrians. There is nothing the Barrow clubs can do about that. That is why there used to be a Cumbria league and a Cumberland league. The Cumbria league consisted of Barrow teams and Cumberland teams who didn't mind travelling to Barrow. Eventually, as amateur RL has dwindled in the heartlands and lost so many teams there clearly wasn't enough to support two leagues up there and that is why the Cumbria league didn't exist last season. The Barrow clubs had no choice but to play each other only or go in the more competitive NWML. Its a mess created by politics.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, South London Silverbacks said:

The RFL have realised that they need to put a focus on the league as for far too long these new formations set up and then fail. 

This year the RFL have now allocated funding to each club in the SCL, they have also put in place a marketing team to support the SCL as well.  

Watch this space as I do believe that the RFL have woken up and finally recognise that there is a huge pot of talent in the south.

If you want fast up to date info keep supporting your local team and watch their, website, facebook, twitter and Instagram feeds.

www.slsilverbacks.com      

Funnily enough I have just read on the NCL forum that the RFL can't afford to help the NCL clubs next season with any funding at all.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:25 PM, henage said:

Didn't say it was a shed load of funding . Maybe Cutsyke will get on the phone to someone down south and see how they have gone about getting the funding .

Cutsyke seem to be getting their act in order, every season over the last 2 or 3 they have added something to their club )2nd team/kids teams)

1 hour ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Funnily enough I have just read on the NCL forum that the RFL can't afford to help the NCL clubs next season with any funding at all.

Shouldn't the extra beer takings and BBQ sales cover the loss of the travel grant - (I'll put the big spoon away) They didn't get that much anyway so I'm sure what they did get could be recouped with an extra football card every week. 

8 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

RFL continue to fund the NCL as a Tier 4 activity but the shift has moved from travel grant to general support.

The NCL management will now decide where that goes and  as a 10k deal with Arnold Clarke / Rhino has been threatened by some clubs not supporting that initiative then do not be surprised if certain clubs are prioritised over others

Meanwhile RFL say that they support the NCL  directly but more especially indirectly to the tune of approx 200k. a year. NCL  strongly disagree that figure but recognise for instance that their paid for refs are worth approx 50k each year, they have a paid for administrator etc,,,,,,,,, so not as simple after all ! The NCL management   I'm sure  will continue to hold their corner,

As for the Southern Conference , they too are Tier 4 and as such entitled to support  I'm sure the NCL management will be  made aware of the level of assistance in due course

On 3/27/2019 at 11:56 AM, Celtic Rooster said:

I'm sure Haydock Warriors, Ulverston and Cutsyke Raiders will be thrilled to hear that the Southern teams are getting all this help from the RFL to develop their leagues.

Well the southern teams have a slightly larger geographical distance to cover. Are you saying they shouldn’t get help, which would likely reduce the playing pool even further by shutting down more clubs, just because some heartland clubs don’t get support? That’s very narrow minded 

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

Shouldn't the extra beer takings and BBQ sales cover the loss of the travel grant - (I'll put the big spoon away) They didn't get that much anyway so I'm sure what they did get could be recouped with an extra football card every week.  

Trying to find somebody to take the card round would be an issue at our club mate. People just don't want to volunteer these days. Our secretary and vice chairman often miss most of the game because they are in the kitchen preparing the after match food!

Archived