The youth of yesterday

Meant to post this on the Youth topic now locked but was too late. Still, feel it's worth reading  and no problem if it gets locked.

According to Socrates (469 to 399 BC) "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Meant to post this on the Youth topic now locked but was too late. Still, feel it's worth reading  and no problem if it gets locked.

According to Socrates (469 to 399 BC) "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

is that the same Socrates that used to jump up and down on his neighbours garage roof when he was 13? bloody  hypocrite !

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

48 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

is that the same Socrates that used to jump up and down on his neighbours garage roof when he was 13? bloody  hypocrite !

Can't argue he was good with the ball going forward though...

18 hours ago, JohnM said:

This is of course true, I grew up in the 80s and any idea that kids are worse now than when I went to school seems absurd. I always point to the example that I've never witnessed a scrap as a teacher: there were loads when I was a kid. 

I think there was a big societal change at some point after the war, but this didn't just affect the attitude of the youth. Older people seemed much more likely to be plain mean and judgmental when I was a child.

The issue we have now is not so much that kids behave worse, it is the inevitable effect that technology is having on how they act. 

My opinion on the other thread was that technology is so all consuming and in some instances so stimulating that they're not as interested in other things like history. It's not that we don't teach them about Churchill, Stonehenge or the war etc it's that they soon forget it and go back to their technology. 

Archived