Sheffield game

Raiderfan79

A hard game with 2 evenly matched teams could of gone either way today a draw would of been a fair result we gave a lot of needless penalties away today but the effort was there  a decent crowd aswell today over 1500 shame we didnt get out from the game i didnt understand why the hooter went with the board saying there 2 mins left

Probably put a few people off coming back. I'll get slated for this but officiating was horrendous they should have had a sin binning first half and the shoulder charge in the second was worthy of a yellow if not a red. I know it's a difficult job but the officiating in rugby league is horrific at the moment 

Sheffield were very quick on the play the ball throughout. Caught Barrow on the back foot once or twice.

Glad that Puara and Amean got over the line for the first time. They were consistently strong and made a few try saving tackles that others missed.

Poor performance all round. How Star Amean didn’t get MOM is beyond me. Totally outplayed in the forward which is a concern and seemed to lose every collision. We didn’t slow down the play the ball at all and they were allowed to play it as soon as they hit the deck. Need to start manning up in defence.

fair play to Sheffield they played well today and deserved the win.

14 minutes ago, RawlinsonRaider said:

Why did he move the penalty forward 10 yards from where the incident happened? Any ideas?

The barrow player on the ground was offside the penalty is from where barrows defensive line was set 

I think a draw would have been a fair result but I cannot understand why we did not go for a drop goal at almost the end of the game. As far as the time of the game is concerned I agree that the game finished 2 minutes early according to the clock but my watch said that the first half was 50 minutes long.

The two playing disappointments to me were the poor tackling and defending in mid field and the lack of ball that Spedding and Loxam had.

I hope we can maintain the gate.

37 minutes ago, renfrew refugee said:

Lost to a far superior team, too slow at the play the balls, Charnock, didn't realise he was playing until it was announced he was MOM??????   Thackeray best player on the park took us apart. Dallimore non existent again.

You mean dallimore that was organising us all game? Watch what happens off the ball

48 minutes ago, renfrew refugee said:

Lost to a far superior team, too slow at the play the balls, Charnock, didn't realise he was playing until it was announced he was MOM??????   Thackeray best player on the park took us apart. Dallimore non existent again.

In fairness a lot of halfbacks need the teams pack as a platform to play on. 

Just 6/10 standard stuff from 6 and 7 for me. 

However Sheffield won the collision. Therefore aided thackery looking good. Very much like we did last year. 

Good crowd figure

1/2 games won. Most of the forum honestly probably would have thought we would have won today and lost last week.

An element of realism needs to be applied with the mindset on here. (In my opinion)

Although refs can be poor, discipline needs to improve. .. seems a niggling undertone through pre season and 1st two games. 

I thought we lost this match in the two minutes before half time.  At 6-6 we got a kick-able penalty but chose to run it.  We immediately got another penalty in the same place and again chose to run.  We gave it away on the first tackle (penalty for double movement) and Sheffield went to the other end and scored to make it 10-6 at half time,

That 6 point turnaround (6-10 instead of 8-6) ultimately cost us in my opinion. 

BarrowRaiders-keithnutter-1.png

2 hours ago, Barty said:

Why did the hooter go when there was 2 mins on the clock in the ground?

the clocks around the grounds are not the official game time....

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

The score line reflects the closeness of the game but I thought over 80mins Sheffield probably deserved the win, their ruckspeed was noticeably quicker, a key point in the game for me was when Ritson made a break up the middle on tackle 1 and somebody ended up kicking to nobody and going dead, instead of playing down their end Sheffield took the 20m restart and scored on their next set of 6 to draw level, possibly aided by a penalty? I think we saw good signs today from the PNG lads now they can feel their fingers!

For Sheffield I thought Ben Blackmore on the wing was outstanding for them.

19 minutes ago, The Vet said:

The score line reflects the closeness of the game but I thought over 80mins Sheffield probably deserved the win, their ruckspeed was noticeably quicker, a key point in the game for me was when Ritson made a break up the middle on tackle 1 and somebody ended up kicking to nobody and going dead, instead of playing down their end Sheffield took the 20m restart and scored on their next set of 6 to draw level, possibly aided by a penalty? I think we saw good signs today from the PNG lads now they can feel their fingers!

For Sheffield I thought Ben Blackmore on the wing was outstanding for them.

Totally agree about Blackmore Phil - he was immense.  Farrell very good too. 

BarrowRaiders-keithnutter-1.png

1 hour ago, RPH said:

the clocks around the grounds are not the official game time....

What's the point of having it then? I've never known the hooter to go before the clock says 00 since they've had it at CH. Perhaps someone could tell us how it works and who controls it and why it could be different from the official timekeeping. I think that the players might be influenced by the clock and make decisions based on what they can see.

I thought the better team won today. They were miles quicker than us at the PTB.

How many clean breaks did we make compared to them?

I think they are a very good side and obviously that 60 points last week was not a fluke.

That said  by what small margins are games won and lost?

Dally conversion hits the post and it bounces out, they hit the post and it bounces in. There's 4 points

It's a long season.... we'll be reet!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived