Beating ourselves...............

Therein73

Well, that's the first league game out of the way.......... after a promising start, a massive disappointment to throw away 2 points........... We simply cannot afford such poor discipline if we're to have any chance going forward............... Stupid, stupid penalties -- especially Morton, Trout and Walshaw in the second half......all of which gave York the impetus and belief to come at us.

Anyone who blames the referee is kidding themselves -- though the Touch Judge on the South Stand side in the 2nd half was as poor as anything I've seen -- he simply wasn't at the races today and crucial decisions (or non-decisions to be more accurate) helped put us on the back foot.

We have to tighten things up in this department.......otherwise it's a long hard season ahead.

On the plus side..... Thought Annakin went well........ Sam Day stood out, Sykes' tackling was awesome and Garratt could be a real 'find'..........

Not convinced by Iggy at centre and both wingers looked suspect under the high ball. Promising and disappointing at the same time today......... A frustrating defeat.

Final word -- huge praise to the York fans.........really got behind their team AND turned up in numbers -- Well done.

2 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Well, that's the first league game out of the way.......... after a promising start, a massive disappointment to throw away 2 points........... We simply cannot afford such poor discipline if we're to have any chance going forward............... Stupid, stupid penalties -- especially Morton, Trout and Walshaw in the second half......all of which gave York the impetus and belief to come at us.

Anyone who blames the referee is kidding themselves -- though the Touch Judge on the South Stand side in the 2nd half was as poor as anything I've seen -- he simply wasn't at the races today and crucial decisions (or non-decisions to be more accurate) helped put us on the back foot.

We have to tighten things up in this department.......otherwise it's a long hard season ahead.

On the plus side..... Thought Annakin went well........ Sam Day stood out, Sykes' tackling was awesome and Garratt could be a real 'find'..........

Not convinced by Iggy at centre and both wingers looked suspect under the high ball. Promising and disappointing at the same time today......... A frustrating defeat.

Final word -- huge praise to the York fans.........really got behind their team AND turned up in numbers -- Well done.

Went today not expecting a win or to even to be in the game for such a long period. But up to half time we were not troubled and I thought we were good value. But if you think the referee had a good game today then it is you sir who is kidding. We were guilty at times of giving away silly penalties which needs stamping out but both teams need a fair crack of the whip and the penalty count was massive in York's favour when they were just as guilty of the same offences. You look for consistency from the man in the middle and on that count he failed miserably. York were consistently not releasing the player in the tackle, consistently not square at play the ball but hardly ever penalised. They took quick tap kicks on 3 occasions and allowed to play on whereas Dewsbury did it the same number and told to come back and  start again. Why do you think that was? York lost the ball in the tackle at least twice and got penalties for stripping. We lost the ball in the the tackle,  in the first half I believe, and it was an obvious strip but classed as knock on. I too am  not convinced Iggy is a centre but thought the lads gave their all today and Annakin was superb. Browns kicking was also something we have sorely missed in past seasons. 

All in all, yes a frustrating start. But with a consistent referee we would have been celebrating a win.

Lads did well and showed character when they fell behind to come back and score even with 12 men. 

Things that need to stop

Stupid penalties 

And the main one

Gobbing for 80 minutes in the refs ear, 

Whether the calls are bad or wrong

Stop doing it, simply shake your head and walk away. Every exchange with the ref is gonna hurt the team. 

For a first run out they did good and will grow. 

50 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

the penalty count was massive in York's favour.

Penalty count was 12-15.

27 penalties in a game is ridiculous though, both teams need to improve in that department, as does the referee. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

50 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

Went today not expecting a win or to even to be in the game for such a long period. But up to half time we were not troubled and I thought we were good value. But if you think the referee had a good game today then it is you sir who is kidding. We were guilty at times of giving away silly penalties which needs stamping out but both teams need a fair crack of the whip and the penalty count was massive in York's favour when they were just as guilty of the same offences. You look for consistency from the man in the middle and on that count he failed miserably. York were consistently not releasing the player in the tackle, consistently not square at play the ball but hardly ever penalised. They took quick tap kicks on 3 occasions and allowed to play on whereas Dewsbury did it the same number and told to come back and  start again. Why do you think that was? York lost the ball in the tackle at least twice and got penalties for stripping. We lost the ball in the the tackle,  in the first half I believe, and it was an obvious strip but classed as knock on. I too am  not convinced Iggy is a centre but thought the lads gave their all today and Annakin was superb. Browns kicking was also something we have sorely missed in past seasons. 

All in all, yes a frustrating start. But with a consistent referee we would have been celebrating a win.

Consistency was lacking for both sides not just Dewsbury. The quick tap that was made to be retaken was due to 2 balls on the pitch. You had Ronan Dixon having the ball stripped during a 3 man tackle but given as a knock on which counters the Dewsbury strip given as a knock on, a York try disallowed for obstruction then later on a similar obstruction by Dewsbury ignored. Dewsbury penalised for moving too far forward off the mark when playing the ball, then later the exact same play (by your # 34, don't know his name but he's a great runner) but this time a penalty against York. Zero consistency.

Just to show I'm not too biased (too much!), the try for Graeme Horne looked forward. But overall both teams will be frustrated at the refereeing but I don't think either team can say the ref favoured one team. Penalty count was 15-12 in favour of the Knights.

Onto the match itself I thought one of the game breakers was Sykes going for goal at 12-0 up on 23mins. York were on the ropes, looking tired and on a team warning, if Dewsbury had tapped it I think you'd have got a try or a Knights player in the bin. At 14-0 there was still a glimmer of hope.

Anyway, nice stadium you've got there (all done without SL money) and a competitive team. Looking forward to the return match.

55 minutes ago, coolie said:

Lads did well and showed character when they fell behind to come back and score even with 12 men. 

Things that need to stop

Stupid penalties 

And the main one

Gobbing for 80 minutes in the refs ear, 

Whether the calls are bad or wrong

Stop doing it, simply shake your head and walk away. Every exchange with the ref is gonna hurt the team. 

For a first run out they did good and will grow. 

So when was the last time that you saw a referee change his mind when being yapped at by any player?

I always liked Billy Thompson's tale about being challenged by players; when he blew for a penalty the offending tem's captain began striding towards him with a thunderous face, to which Billy said "It was a penalty when you set off, and it will still be a penalty when you get here!", at which the player simply turned and walked away.

I am sure that referees do all in the power to be fair to all sides but when one of them is consistently chelping it doesn't help their even-handedness. We need to be smarter.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

Consistency was lacking for both sides not just Dewsbury. The quick tap that was made to be retaken was due to 2 balls on the pitch. You had Ronan Dixon having the ball stripped during a 3 man tackle but given as a knock on which counters the Dewsbury strip given as a knock on, a York try disallowed for obstruction then later on a similar obstruction by Dewsbury ignored. Dewsbury penalised for moving too far forward off the mark when playing the ball, then later the exact same play (by your # 34, don't know his name but he's a great runner) but this time a penalty against York. Zero consistency.

Just to show I'm not too biased (too much!), the try for Graeme Horne looked forward. But overall both teams will be frustrated at the refereeing but I don't think either team can say the ref favoured one team. Penalty count was 15-12 in favour of the Knights.

Onto the match itself I thought one of the game breakers was Sykes going for goal at 12-0 up on 23mins. York were on the ropes, looking tired and on a team warning, if Dewsbury had tapped it I think you'd have got a try or a Knights player in the bin. At 14-0 there was still a glimmer of hope.

Anyway, nice stadium you've got there (all done without SL money) and a competitive team. Looking forward to the return match.

I saw at least four occasions where York should have been penalised but weren't. I also saw at least five where Dewsbury should also have been penalised, and also weren't.

The overall penalty count was too high, indicating either very indisciplined players or a referee struggling to exert his authority.

The referee didn't determine the outcome but the response of the players to his decisions might have done.

Good support from a bunch of friendly fans, as ever. I look forward to visiting your latest ground.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

After 55 minutes, most York fans would have been happy to see a drop goal just to get a point on the board. We had been outplayed, but once Graeme Horne returned to the field, and York scored, we took control. A few Rams players were oblivious in the last 15 minutes, and York took full advantage. We are all one eyed when it comes to referees, but the man in the middle today had a shocker. Apparantly he has a first class honours degree. In guesswork.

Good luck for the rest of the season

43 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

11-15 according to the League Express.

I'd agree that the reffing wasn't great,  

Neither was the counting of penalties, it seems.

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Let’s look at the positives- we were competitive and deserved something from the game for our efforts. We scored three decent tries against a strong defence, I thought our right hand side defence in particular was good. It is a bit of a failing of ours to drop intensity when a decision goes against us and BSJ is right in that no matter  how bad the decision is against us it won’t be reversed so you just get on with it and concentrate. However I am still optimistic for the season; the only dark cloud is the growing habit of balls being deliberately dropped in the expectation of a penalty. Feath & Barrow did it last season if I remember correctly and it is no doubt on the increase to judge from yesterday. Two refs, anyone?

On 10 February 2019 at 7:14 PM, Blind side johnny said:

.....Good support from a bunch of friendly fans, as ever. I look forward to visiting your latest ground.

I honk we are scheduled to be the last team to play the Knights at Bootham Crescent. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I made it 9-15!

Nah it's definitely ten past nine!!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

4 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

Where do rugby league express get there penalty count from have to get them an abacus

I had to laugh last season when I read the report of the Toronto match away where Alex Rowe got a 7, it was a remarkable achievement since he never left the country. Talk about impact props, but having the impact to get a 7 when he was 4000 miles away is some going.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:05 PM, HaxbyKnight said:

Where do you get yours from? Are you suggesting Dewsbury only had 6 penalties all afternoon, were you there?

Yes i was moron i know for a fact he is personal friends with your coach and he was +1 for referee xmas party with him. Been told by a fellow referee

8 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

I sensed sarcasm that why i called you a moron sorry if you wasnt being sarcastic. What about this referee being personal friends with your coach though surely not right 

So what if he is? Some of your players will be personal friends with our players, doesn't stop them trying to win the game does it?

9 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

I sensed sarcasm that why i called you a moron sorry if you wasnt being sarcastic. What about this referee being personal friends with your coach though surely not right 

Whwn we played Toronto, the ref (Gareth Hewer) was calling all of their players by their Christian names, but not many York players. Does that imply he was friendly with the Toronto team, and not the York team? We could imply he was biased on that basis, but as has been said, many coaches, players and official are friends, it should not have any bearing on how they perform.

Anyway, you have got Mr Hewer this week, good luck with that.

Archived