Are the RFL not accepting any new teams?

Mr Plow

1 hour ago, owls said:

Sheffield eagles problem was never having a permanent base which they could call home,  you can not develop a permanent fan base without having  your own stadium, Manchester would have that,

big mistake by the RFL,

So what about the 23 years at the Don Valley ?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Until the RFL accepts that a presence of London, Toronto, Toulouse, and New York in Super League are essential to grow the game, and bolster its finances, then rugby league will continue to be a parochial M62 sport suffering financial stress. 

Liverpool and perhaps Manchester would be nice, as would Newcastle and even Bristol, but their presence would have minimal impact on the game's general fortunes, as compared with the impact of the other four mentioned.

I agree 100% ?

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So what about the 23 years at the Don Valley ?

regarding the years at Don Valley, it was not their stadium,  it was too far away from the pitch, they also had too play at other  home venues in the same season,  they were cuckoos in other peoples nest,

as I said they never has their own home,

Just now, owls said:

regarding the years at Don Valley, it was not their stadium,  it was too far away from the pitch, they also had too play at other  home venues in the same season,  they were cuckoos in other peoples nest,

The LSV isnt Leighs , Hilton park wasnt for the last 30 years they played in it , the Shay isnt Fax's , AJ bell isnt salfords , halton isnt Widnes's , DW isnt wigans , odsal isnt Bradfords , Belle vue isnt wakeys , keepmoat isnt donny's

It was still a site better than what we now see , more to it than just the Don Valley for the Eagles , bottom line is there isnt really any appetite for RL in the city

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The LSV isnt Leighs , Hilton park wasnt for the last 30 years they played in it , the Shay isnt Fax's , AJ bell isnt salfords , halton isnt Widnes's , DW isnt wigans , odsal isnt Bradfords , Belle vue isnt wakeys , keepmoat isnt donny's

It was still a site better than what we now see , more to it than just the Don Valley for the Eagles , bottom line is there isnt really any appetite for RL in the city

I don't think they are similar situations, Eagles started off at Owlerton speedway stadium, the played at Bramall Lane. Hillsbrough,Saltergate. Millmoor, Dronfield, Doncaster and so on , disappeared through the Huddersfield merger and then had to stat from scratch all over again,

you may be correct their is no appetite for League in Sheffield but without having permanent roots we will never know for certain,

lets just agree to disagree for now,

31 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That is disingenuous to say the least. None of those are athletics stadiums and a good few where built for the Rugby League club to be primary tenants or Rugby League clubs moved to them to be significant partners.

In the first few years of Super League Sheffield's average attendance was only a few hundred behind the likes of Castleford and Warrington and more than teams like Oldham and Workington. Not bad for a team playing in an Athletics stadium and with no traditional derby matches to boost crowds.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

If  2 or 3 people are interested there is appetite. They get a hardcore of 600 fans?  Batley have a hardcore of 800m or so. So no appetite for RL there then. It's how the picture is painted. When the Bulls played the Broncos in Leicester there's appetite for it there.

It's as a game and ruling body we struggle. I'd go as far as saying there's an appetite for TGG in practically all Cities in England. If we don't know how to manage the game, sell the game and a biggy HAVE CONFIDENCE in the game then we will never succeed.

As a game we have changed the structure at the top level some 20 odd times in 30 years with regards to P and R etc. Does that show us as a sport that knows what it wants or just as an indecisive short sighted sport. Take the joke that was asking Catalans to pay 500k or whatever it was to enter the challenge cup because the RFL can't work out how to market the game if a foreign team gets there! Err how about cheaper tickets and incentives to clubs. No lets have the defending champions coin up half a million. Joke.

With regards to Manchester. Wasn't bonds in the past priced at 80k or around that mark. Why 500k now?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, owls said:

I don't think they are similar situations, Eagles started off at Owlerton speedway stadium, the played at Bramall Lane. Hillsbrough,Saltergate. Millmoor, Dronfield, Doncaster and so on , disappeared through the Huddersfield merger and then had to stat from scratch all over again,

you may be correct their is no appetite for League in Sheffield but without having permanent roots we will never know for certain,

lets just agree to disagree for now,

Still 23 years at one primary venue , and a modern one at that ,

1 hour ago, Damien said:

That is disingenuous to say the least. None of those are athletics stadiums and a good few where built for the Rugby League club to be primary tenants or Rugby League clubs moved to them to be significant partners.

In the first few years of Super League Sheffield's average attendance was only a few hundred behind the likes of Castleford and Warrington and more than teams like Oldham and Workington. Not bad for a team playing in an Athletics stadium and with no traditional derby matches to boost crowds.

So what went wrong ?

13 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

If  2 or 3 people are interested there is appetite. They get a hardcore of 600 fans?  Batley have a hardcore of 800m or so. So no appetite for RL there then. It's how the picture is painted. When the Bulls played the Broncos in Leicester there's appetite for it there.

It's as a game and ruling body we struggle. I'd go as far as saying there's an appetite for TGG in practically all Cities in England. If we don't know how to manage the game, sell the game and a biggy HAVE CONFIDENCE in the game then we will never succeed.

As a game we have changed the structure at the top level some 20 odd times in 30 years with regards to P and R etc. Does that show us as a sport that knows what it wants or just as an indecisive short sighted sport. Take the joke that was asking Catalans to pay 500k or whatever it was to enter the challenge cup because the RFL can't work out how to market the game if a foreign team gets there! Err how about cheaper tickets and incentives to clubs. No lets have the defending champions coin up half a million. Joke.

With regards to Manchester. Wasn't bonds in the past priced at 80k or around that mark. Why 500k now?

Is it the RFL's responsibility to increase individual clubs attendances and income ?

20 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Why does Rimmer keep asking people to give him 500 000 pounds all the time?....how does he even come up with that actual figure.   RL needs to be more welcoming to new investment...just look at all the hassles Toronto has has to put up with.

My  bill for that advice is 500 000 pounds please.

Ralph Rimmer.  Astronaut. A man barely alive. 
Gentlemen.......we can rebuild him. We have the technology. 
Lee Majors is ............Ralph Rimmer - The Five Hundred Thousand Pound Man.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Sadly I think they won’t admit new teams to League 1 as League 1’s days as a semi professional league with central funding are numbered. 

Tend to agree. The tea leaves show we could be heading for ‘Super League 1&2’ and that will get all the slices of the central funding cake. 

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Tend to agree. The tea leaves show we could be heading for ‘Super League 1&2’ and that will get all the slices of the central funding cake. 

Yes, that would tend to explain Rimmer's approach with Manchester Rangers

2 hours ago, Pyjamarama said:

Ralph Rimmer.  Astronaut. A man barely alive. 
Gentlemen.......we can rebuild him. We have the technology. 
Lee Majors is ............Ralph Rimmer - The Five Hundred Thousand Pound Man.

Sounds more like Nigel.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

4 hours ago, owls said:

Few teams playing on someone else's field, I didn't know you had to have a  minimum distance between the stands and pitch and as for playing on other grounds, where did Toronto play last week.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

If there are plans to shut the door so to speak, does it matter how many teams there are outside of the fold? In theory, we could let loads of clubs in but if the drawbridge is going up, it’s going up, not necessarily with a “Liverpool”, “Manchester” or whoever inside the new leagues. 

I take it there will be opportunities to “buy” into the “club” as with the NRL, it’s grown and new sides have been admitted over the years. I wonder if it would be better to start off as a new club now, with the longer term intention of buying a seat at the top table but that sounds financially naive, really. 

If this is true it’s really quite depressing. Ralph might work long hours but I can’t think of one constructive thing he’s done since taking over from his mate Nige. I do know so CEO’s have bonus schemes triggered by how well they improve their cash reserves though...

I happen to believe that we should be aiming not only for four international big city teams to play in Super League  (i.e. London, Toulouse, Toronto and New York) at a minimum by 2022, but we should also be aiming in the medium term to complement these teams over time with further growth in France and North America. That would entail pursuing Eric Perez's dream of four or five North American clubs (the other two or three after Toronto and New York coming from Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago). It would also entail having more French clubs after Toulouse, preferably at least Avignon and Paris.

These new non-British clubs need not be instantly injected into Super League, but rather could serve a kind of short apprenticeship in the Championship as Toronto and Toulouse have done. However the certainty of their promotion requires the abolition of the current structure of promotion and relegation, and its replacement by licensing, modeled on the successful NRL and NFL systems.

The ideal roster to have in 2022, in my opinion, would be a 14 team competition:

Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington, Leeds, Bradford, Hull FC, Hull KR, Castleford, Huddersfield, 

Catalans, London, Toronto, Toulouse, New York.

It could be expanded over the following 5-10 years with six more international clubs:

Avignon, Paris, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago

That would create a 20 team competition with nine heartland M62 clubs, and eleven international big city clubs -- ten British clubs, four French clubs, four USA clubs, and two Canadian clubs

Such a truly international Super League would be a revolutionary development in world sport, one that would greatly enhance popular interest in rugby league in at least four nations -- Canada, the USA, France and the United Kingdom.

11 hours ago, Colliwobble said:

To be honest, I can't see how Manchester Rangers would add anything to the game.

To think a new club would do better than established clubs in GM, simply because it has the name 'Manchester' in it is folly!

When Toronto applied to the league, they already had serious potential backers and their own TV deal arranged. Unless Manchester Rangers have a similar plan, they would be doomed to fail. If people in that area want to go to a Rugby League match, they will go to Salford which is about a 30 minute drive from where the Rangers play at the Etihad Campus, but they don't because they are not interested!

We need to concentrate on selling into non-RL areas and building up from there (Coventry, Newcastle etc).

Junior development perhaps?

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:00 AM, Manfred Mann said:

Until the RFL accepts that a presence of London, Toronto, Toulouse, and New York in Super League are essential to grow the game, and bolster its finances, then rugby league will continue to be a parochial M62 sport suffering financial stress. 

Liverpool and perhaps Manchester would be nice, as would Newcastle and even Bristol, but their presence would have minimal impact on the game's general fortunes, as compared with the impact of the other four mentioned.

Agreed. Except the person behind NYC RL is from England, unlike Argyle who's based in Canada. I wouldn't accept NYC RL either if I had to choose.

We need people actually based in the city and know people there to bring the sport overseas. The NYC RL team is a liability, and likely to be a flop. I'm glad RFL isn't giving them the go-ahead but also are smart enough not to say no. Because it's the public who are unaware that this rejection has less to do with "New York" and more to do with the viability of this particular incarnation. If they said "no", they'd just be lambasted when it's actually a result of due-diligence.

14 minutes ago, NotToday said:

Agreed. Except the person behind NYC RL is from England, unlike Argyle who's based in Canada. I wouldn't accept NYC RL either if I had to choose.

We need people actually based in the city and know people there to bring the sport overseas. The NYC RL team is a liability, and likely to be a flop. I'm glad RFL isn't giving them the go-ahead but also are smart enough not to say no. Because it's the public who are unaware that this rejection has less to do with "New York" and more to do with the viability of this particular incarnation. If they said "no", they'd just be lambasted when it's actually a result of due-diligence.

It's not the RFL that has rejected the New York City bid. 

Archived