ARL Grand Final (Auckland)

I watched the ARL grand final on the weekend between the Glenora Bears and the Pt Chevalier Pirates. I haven’t kept up with the comp in recent years. 

It was played on a wet surface so ball handling was always going to be an issue and plenty of ball was spilled. The fans were keen although not a huge crowd at Mt Smart #2 ground. What struck me was how different it was from when I was a lad.

Back yonder in time, there were big players and there were small ones, with some in between. In this match, they all seemed huge. It was like sumo wrestling meets RL. They smacked into each other all all game with gusto but conditions and perhaps the size of the players meant going through the defence was the only tactic used. It seemed like there were too many players on the pitch.

In the end it was 6-0 but probably should have been 0-0. I can’t say the game was exciting but absorbing due to the close score line. I thought how a person like me and probably 98% of the population would never make it in Auckland RL now as it seemed being of a huge frame with copious kilograms was a minimum requirement. By the way Epalahame Latakia was playing for the losing side Glenora.

If RL in Auckland is to return to a game that many can aspire to playing, then something needs to be done. A 5 metre defensive line may reduce the impact of huge players hitting the defensive line with speed. That and a few other tweaks would do the trick. As it is, the game I saw was too predictable in style and very limiting as what body sizes could play.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I was under the impression the ARL GF was in September Ray. Do they usually play it in your summer?

You are right. It was shown on tv the other day And didn’t see it when it was current but only caught this repeat showing.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived