Brits in the NRL

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Never heard of Farnworth what’s  the story with him how old was he when he went?.  Did he ever play for a club over here or has he come through the Aussie system?.

Bit of both. Been going over to Australia (Brisbane) to develop since age 15 or so but has played junior rugby in the UK and for England youth.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14459222.herbie-farnworth-has-a-stepping-stone-for-england-rugby-side/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hope Savelio goes well... such bad luck to have his whole season wiped out last year before NRL round 1.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Never heard of Farnworth what’s  the story with him how old was he when he went?.  Did he ever play for a club over here or has he come through the Aussie system?.

He's been going over to Queensland during the summer since 2014. An incredibly driven young man. He’s from Barrowford near Burnley. Never been on the books of any SL side, although they wanted him.

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/more-sport/herbie-makes-dream-move-to-the-broncos-1-8382042

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

He's been going over to Queensland during the summer since 2014. An incredibly driven young man. He’s from Barrowford near Burnley. Never been on the books of any SL side, although they wanted him.

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/more-sport/herbie-makes-dream-move-to-the-broncos-1-8382042

Great post, I hope they both progress well this year.

Without wishing to stray off the OP, that is a frighteningly good array of talent coming through the Broncos system e.g. Haas/Fifita.

• Like 1

I'd almost forgotten Savelio. I wonder how he'll do, if he gets a decent run without injury/illness.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Bit of both. Been going over to Australia (Brisbane) to develop since age 15 or so but has played junior rugby in the UK and for England youth.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14459222.herbie-farnworth-has-a-stepping-stone-for-england-rugby-side/

Thanks. That’s a great story will look out for him in future. 

Herbie Farnworth has been a talent for years and has been chased by all the top clubs and RU. His uncle is Brian Foley, ex Wigan and St Pats and the coach of many top players past and present in Super League. As such he has been coached in the correct skills and proper technique since being a toddler. It was actually a relief him going to Australia because many feared he would be lost to RU as they were offering far more than he would have got for Wigan in Super League.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Long time lurker, first time poster here. 

Had never heard of the lad Farnworth. Good luck to him, and hope Savelio can get fit and back to the level of quality he showed at Saints and Wire.

I’ve seen a thread previously, but as a Pom living in Aus I thought it would be good to compile the Englishmen (and English qualified) playing down under. Remember an ex-pro saying a while ago the only way we’d beat the Kangaroos is if we had 30+ English lads in the NRL. Looks like we’re not far off having a 17.

Brisbane

Herbie Farnworth

Andre Savelio

Canberra

John Bateman

Josh Hodgson

Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead

Cronulla

Josh Morris (already capped by Australia)

Manly

Trent Hodkinson

Souths

George Burgess

Sam Burgess

Tom Burgess

St George

James Graham

Gareth Widdop

Sydney Roosters

Ryan Hall

Brett Morris (already capped by Australia)

Victor Radley

Wests

Chris McQueen

As far as I can see: Canterbury, Gold Coast, Melbourne, NZ, Newcastle, North Queensland, Parramatta and Penrith don’t have any English players - though am sure there are loads qualified for England if anyone cares to point them out.

Anyone missing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BallPlayingProp said:

Had never heard of the lad Farnworth. Good luck to him, and hope Savelio can get fit and back to the level of quality he showed at Saints and Wire.

I’ve seen a thread previously, but as a Pom living in Aus I thought it would be good to compile the Englishmen (and English qualified) playing down under. Remember an ex-pro saying a while ago the only way we’d beat the Kangaroos is if we had 30+ English lads in the NRL. Looks like we’re not far off having a 17.

Brisbane

Herbie Farnworth

Andre Savelio

Canberra

John Bateman

Josh Hodgson

Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead

Cronulla

Manly

Trent Hodkinson

Souths

George Burgess

Sam Burgess

Tom Burgess

St George

James Graham

Gareth Widdop

Sydney Roosters

Ryan Hall

Victor Radley

Wests

Chris McQueen

As far as I can see: Canterbury, Gold Coast, Melbourne, NZ, Newcastle, North Queensland, Parramatta and Penrith don’t have any English players - though am sure there are loads qualified for England if anyone cares to point them out.

Anyone missing?

Surely a "Tier One Nation" like England does not need heritage players like the Morris Twins already capped by the nation of their birth or lay claim to players like Radley or others through their  Fathers or Grandparents.

Ryan Sutton has not played in the NRL

Andre Savelio was born a Kiwi and  has not played in the NRL

Herbie Farnworth has not played first grade in the NRL and is a fringe player for one of their feeder Clubs.

Just associating these players with England makes England look like another Tonga or Samoa.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

Surely a "Tier One Nation" like England does not need heritage players like the Morris Twins already capped by the nation of their birth or lay claim to players like Radley or others through their  Fathers or Grandparents.

Herbie Farnworth has not played first grade in the NRL and is a fringe player for one of their feeder Clubs.

Just associating these players with England makes England look like another Tonga or Samoa.

You missed Hodgkinson.

The formula works for Australia too Allora and they've used it well.  You cant have it all ways.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

You missed Hodgkinson.

The formula works for Australia too Allora and they've used it well.  You cant have it all ways.

I did not miss Hodgkinson, I didn't think anyone would want him either way.

He is an also ran.

When was the last time Australia picked a player that has never lived in Australia or been brought up in Australia through their Parents or Grand parents?

The closest thing was the Fijian Winger on residency rules, they changed the rules after that debacle. 

England has chosen several players on residency rules like Rangi Chase amongst others.

Edited by Allora

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I did not miss Hodgkinson, I didn't think anyone would want him either way.

He is an also ran.

When was the last time Australia picked a player that has never lived in Australia or been brought up in Australia through their Parents or Grand parents?

The closest thing was the Fijian Winger, they changed the rules after that debacle. 

I'll agree his is.  People on here do though.

Arent you including 'born' in Australia?  They might have changed the rules now but made good use of them previously.

I agree it was a debacle.

2 hours ago, Allora said:

I wouldn't call Farnworth a fringe player for a Broncos feeder team. His appearances for Norths Devils are being controlled by the Broncos to a great extent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make his NRL debut this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

I wouldn't call Farnworth a fringe player for a Broncos feeder team. His appearances for Norths Devils are being controlled by the Broncos to a great extent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make his NRL debut this season.

He played nine games for Norths Devils last year.

4 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

Brisbane

Herbie Farnworth

Andre Savelio

Canberra

John Bateman

Josh Hodgson

Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead

Cronulla

Manly

Trent Hodkinson

Souths

George Burgess

Sam Burgess

Tom Burgess

St George

James Graham

Gareth Widdop

Sydney Roosters

Ryan Hall

Victor Radley

Wests

Chris McQueen

Anyone missing?

The Morris twins aren't English and don't qualify for England. They could qualify for one of the other home nations and play for GB, I suppose.

Victor Radley, whilst a promising player, is miles away from even being spoken about as an England player. He'll need to improve a lot. I suspect he's better aiming for NSW where he has more of a chance of playing.

• Like 1

People called Romans they go the house

2 hours ago, Allora said:

To be fair to the (first time) poster he was simply listing payers wasnt really making a judgement call on them. 

Agree with you though judging a couple for "not playing" while they have been injured or just joined is a little harsh.. 

Totally agree that we dont need to be looking at players "who qualify" as we have enough of quality without going down that path but I dont see anyone actually suggesting that either (though sevelio came over at 1 so wouldnt have that much of an issue). 

No one is saying they should all be capped, or that they are all going to be good enough or will be setting the NRL alight just a list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

Brisbane

Herbie Farnworth

Andre Savelio

Canberra

John Bateman

Josh Hodgson

Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead

Cronulla

Manly

Trent Hodkinson

Souths

George Burgess

Sam Burgess

Tom Burgess

St George

James Graham

Gareth Widdop

Sydney Roosters

Ryan Hall

Victor Radley

Wests

Chris McQueen

Anyone missing?

First of all welcome, BPP - I see your first post has already had a mini baptism of fire! 

I'd probably go along with most however and say heritage players shouldn't really be included when talking about English players in the NRL. Personally I love seeing English SL players moving down to the NRL and more than holding their own because it works two fold in my mind - it not only shows up the quality that England as a national side as to offer but also shows that players who have done all their training and playing career in the northern hemisphere can play at the top level down under, which suggest SL as a comp is getting stronger even if that in the short term mens losing the cream at the top. 

English forwards have proved themselves time and time again - the next stage for me is for the backs to prove they can cut it down there. Whilst he's definitely an Englishman, I have mixed views on whether Widdop is classed as a product of the English game - I'm more inclined to think the NRL made him the player he is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Allora said:

He played nine games for Norths Devils last year.

Yes. Had quite a bit of time out with a hand injury that reoccurred. Like i said, his appearances are controlled by Brisbane. I always think of being a fringe player as someone who drifts in and out of a side through not being picked regularly. Norths would have him for every game if they could. I get what you mean though, he's only played 9 games.

• Like 1

I think Allora is in full on “Everything English is rubbish” mode for some reason. 

I think it is an interesting list, and don’t see why you can’t have all the English qualified players on a list of English qualified players. I thought the Morrises were born here, but may have that muddled. Certainly, there has been discussion from time to time about their availability (and the other “Aussies” on the list). I thought that Sutton was lined up to play in the Canberra first team, though that might have been in the Wigan papers. I will be interested to see whether how far he goes. I also read that Bateman needed an interpreter. 

The point though is well made. The more English qualified players we have in the NRL system, the better our strength in depth. Anything that deepens the pool. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I thought that Sutton was lined up to play in the Canberra first team, 

He definitely is. Canberra have lost both Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo so they needed to strengthen the front row