Brits in the NRL

19 hours ago, AB90 said:

He can do both if he's good enough (play Origin and Internationals). NSW and the Kangaroos. He's Australian. End of conversation.

Even if the rules were changed he would only be allowed to play for one country. We are all assuming a born and bred aussie would shun playing for Australia just to represent his Dads country of birth. Highly doubtful.

I mean he literally says if he could play for England and still be selected for Origin he'd do it in a heartbeat, so we're not assuming - that's what he actually said.  My point was when push comes to shove he wants to play for NSW, which as Scubby has said is understandable as it's more prestigious than a handful of internationals currently and may be default mean he does turn out for the Kangaroos.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I mean he literally says if he could play for England and still be selected for Origin he'd do it in a heartbeat, so we're not assuming - that's what he actually said.  My point was when push comes to shove he wants to play for NSW, which as Scubby has said is understandable as it's more prestigious than a handful of internationals currently and may be default mean he does turn out for the Kangaroos. 

Your running with a quote he said in response to an off the cuff question!

What do you think the answer would of been if he was asked what his thoughts were on potentially playing for Australia? 

If your taking his quote in a 'literal' manner, I would assume you think he would say something like 'Yeah, if I could play for Australia and still be selected for England, I'd do it in a heartbeat'. But if I can't do both Im going to have to pass on that Kangaroos jumper'.

On 2/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, AB90 said:

He can do both if he's good enough (play Origin and Internationals). NSW and the Kangaroos. He's Australian. End of conversation.

Even if the rules were changed he would only be allowed to play for one country. We are all assuming a born and bred aussie would shun playing for Australia just to represent his Dads country of birth. Highly doubtful.

He can play Origin and for England, can't he?

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

A feature on Farnworth on NRL.com

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/22/farnworths-epic-journey-from-red-devils-to-red-hill/

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm a bit worried about the interview with Farnworth though… when he talks about Darius Boyd he says "I look up to Boydy heaps"

Surely anybody who uses the word 'heaps' is destined to play for Australia!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

There certainly is a bit of buzz coming through about this bloke now. Brisbane were happy to let Kahu go, which suggests they think this guy is up to the job. He's got a quality back three ahead of him, but he's probably the next in line now.

Is Corey Oates still touting for a move to the back row, maybe that offers a chance for Farnworth?

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I'm a bit worried about the interview with Farnworth though… when he talks about Darius Boyd he says "I look up to Boydy heaps"

Surely anybody who uses the word 'heaps' is destined to play for Australia!

The only thing anyone cares about is eligibility for Origin. If he arrived after the age of 13 then he is not eligible which makes playing for England less of a hassle - i.e. no baiting from the like of Kevin Walters.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The only thing anyone cares about is eligibility for Origin. If he arrived after the age of 13 then he is not eligible which makes playing for England less of a hassle - i.e. no baiting from the like of Kevin Walters.

He is not eligible and more than a very long shot to be selected if he was. 

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

My last comment was a light hearted quip.

He has already played for England youth so he is definitely going to be an English rep if he is good enough. He is only young so need to put pressure on him too soon, none of us know how good he is going to be.

Looking at his Norths Devils profile to find his age, I notice he is listed as being born in March 2018 and officially 0 years of age. Now that's a prodigy. 

https://northsdevilsrlfc.com/player/herbie-farnworth/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

My last comment was a light hearted quip.

He has already played for England youth so he is definitely going to be an English rep if he is good enough. He is only young so need to put pressure on him too soon, none of us know how good he is going to be.

Looking at his Norths Devils profile to find his age, I notice he is listed as being born in March 2018 and officially 0 years of age. Now that's a prodigy. 

https://northsdevilsrlfc.com/player/herbie-farnworth/

That is the same algorithm Stanley Gene used when he moved to the UK in the mid 1990s.

Edited by Scubby
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is Corey Oates still touting for a move to the back row, maybe that offers a chance for Farnworth?

I think that's unlikely. Brisbane's back row depth is very good. Remember we've got Andre Savelio there too, and he's about sixth in the pecking order (and I really rate him!) Oates is an outstanding winger. I think he'll be there until either his speed goes, or he changes clubs.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Watching the Rabbitohs game it looks like a cold winters day at the Watersheddings.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Watching the Rabbitohs game it looks like a cold winters day at the Watersheddings.

I'm watching the Raiders game. Sutton playing long minutes. It is cold though in Sydney - 23C and cloudy and windy

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:28 PM, BallPlayingProp said:

Au contraire...

"If I could play for England in this break, and come back and play for NSW I'd do it in a heartbeat"

I really hope that one day he fulfills his dream of playing for New Swails, whoever they are.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I love it how so many people believe the mantra that playing in New South Wales or Queensland makes you eligible for SoO.

I think the name State of Origin has something to do with it.

It used to be which State you first came into grade football, its changed a few times since then.

Does anyone have a status update on Andre Savelio.  He was named (and played I think) in the first Broncos trial and then hasn't been named again - including the extended interchange bench for this weeks final trial against the Titans.  I would have thought that after a full season out the staff would want to give him some decent game time.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Does anyone have a status update on Andre Savelio.  He was named (and played I think) in the first Broncos trial and then hasn't been named again - including the extended interchange bench for this weeks final trial against the Titans.  I would have thought that after a full season out the staff would want to give him some decent game time.

No news about him, he is not injured.

Maybe they are rotating as many new faces through the trials as they can.

He needs to be on the field making an impression after his bad luck last year, his contract is only till the end of 2019.

I'm assuming not being named the last two weeks means he isn't seen as being in the running for the top 17 right now. He'll have to play his way in through the Queensland Cup. It may be that the goal is to have him up to speed and ready for NRL by origin time (when we'll lose Gillette and possibly a number of others)

• 2 weeks later...