Brits in the NRL

On 2/22/2019 at 10:22 AM, Dunbar said:

I'm a bit worried about the interview with Farnworth though… when he talks about Darius Boyd he says "I look up to Boydy heaps"

Surely anybody who uses the word 'heaps' is destined to play for Australia!

Watch out if he starts saying Dayboo.

ROUND 1 TEAMS

Brisbane v Melbourne

Herbie Farnworth - at Norths Devils in Q Cup, scored twice last weekend.

Andre Savelio - gone to Hull

Canberra v Gold Coast

John Bateman - named at 13

Josh Hodgson - starts at 9

Ryan Sutton - on the bench 

Elliot Whitehead - starts at second row

Manly v Wests

Trent Hodkinson - benched. Was expected to partner DCE. Likely a utility pivot this season.

Souths v Roosters

George Burgess - still banned

Sam Burgess - starts at second row.

Tom Burgess - starts at prop

St George v N Qld

James Graham - starts at prop

Gareth Widdop - starts at FB

Roosters v Souths

Ryan Hall - still not fit

Victor Radley - starts at 13

Wests v Manly

Chris McQueen - named in the 21. doubt he'll play

1 hour ago, BallPlayingProp said:

ROUND 1 TEAMS

Brisbane v Melbourne

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/03/10/key-farnworth-points-haul-steers-devils-over-bears/?fbclid=IwAR0Oh6vNMlTw0IBd7RUZSMLc0tqWfieR2xswligTxRwZgEaI0chhG-Xp27g

Edited by burnleywelsh

2 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

ROUND 1 TEAMS

Brisbane v Melbourne

Andre Savelio - gone to Hull

Canberra v Gold Coast

John Bateman - named at 13

Josh Hodgson - starts at 9

Ryan Sutton - on the bench 

Elliot Whitehead - starts at second row

Manly v Wests

Trent Hodkinson - benched. Was expected to partner DCE. Likely a utility pivot this season.

Souths v Roosters

George Burgess - still banned

Sam Burgess - starts at second row.

Tom Burgess - starts at prop

St George v N Qld

James Graham - starts at prop

Gareth Widdop - starts at FB

Roosters v Souths

Ryan Hall - still not fit

Victor Radley - starts at 13

Wests v Manly

Chris McQueen - named in the 21. doubt he'll play

Bateman starting now, he was set to start on the bench. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on

11 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Cant be bothered to look elsewhere; what position does Farnworth play?

Radley at Easts is British?

Bateman will go well in the middle.

Can't wait for season to start

Full back and wing

Born in Sydney but eligible through his English dad if he puts his hand up

Agreed

Agreed

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Full back and wing

Born in Sydney but eligible through his English dad if he puts his hand up

Agreed

Agreed

See Jordan Pereira is the latest today to say he’d play for England ...or NZ ... or Samoa

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

See Jordan Pereira is the latest today to say he’d play for England ...or NZ ... or Samoa

He was born in New Zealand to a Samoan father and English mother.  I would say it is perfectly fine that he is eligible to play for each of these three countries.

Having not been in such a position myself (born in England to English parents), I am in no position to understand his feeling belonging, identity, loyalty and preference for each of these countries. These things are very personal and always individual.

Whether he is good enough (for any of these countries) is a different question.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He was born in New Zealand to a Samoan father and English mother.  I would say it is perfectly fine that he is eligible to play for each of these three countries.

Having not been in such a position myself (born in England to English parents), I am in no position to understand his feeling belonging, identity, loyalty and preference for each of these countries. These things are very personal and always individual.

Whether he is good enough (for any of these countries) is a different question.

Unfortunately in our instance he’s in our strongest position 

46 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Genuine question..

Does anyone know anymore about his "English mum" cos the way it's worded in that article I saw,to me,it looks like its a step mum and not his maternal mum..

"I grew up in New Zealand but I wasn't raised by Kiwis, I was raised by an English woman and my dad is from Samoa so it is hard to pick. I don't really know what I am – I just call myself a human."

Strange to say "raised by a English woman" 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

23 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Genuine question..

Does anyone know anymore about his "English mum" cos the way it's worded in that article I saw,to me,it looks like its a step mum and not his maternal mum..

I agree the wording is ambiguous but in the context of the point he was making it seems reasonable. 

He is saying that even though he was born and brought up in New Zealand the cultural influences of Samoa and England are there from his parents.  

No point saying (in this context) "I was raised by my mum" so it was either 'raised by an English woman' or 'raised by my mum who is English"... but it seems strange to say raised by your mum as that is usually a given.

Wikipedia states that he has a Samoan father and English mother and as there is no reference to an extended family I assumed biological relationships. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hodgson,Whitehead and Bateman named in Canberra's starting 13 with Sutton on the bench.

They face up against a very decent forward pack at the Titans, it will be a good test of where the Raiders are at.

8. Jarrod Wallace

9 Nathan Peats

10 Shannon Boyd

11 Kevin Proctor

12 Ryan James

13 Jai Arrow

• Like 1

Looked at Big League teamlists, there's also another Englishman: Luke George - Wilf's son and of a great couple of years with Huddersfield is at the CQ Capras in the Q Cup. That's where Dave Taylor is atm. 

Down the road at Mackay, Lloyd White (Welsh) and Alex Gerrard, both formerly Widnes are at the Cutters. 

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/16884482.blackbrook-under-18s-wrap-up-title-and-treble/ 

https://www.scotlandrl.com/2017/10/08/england-lions-youth-defeat-scotland-under-19s/

Backrow by looks of things, who kicks goals and played for England Lions - not academy - and won the 18s treble with Blackbrook. Not sure if they played for a SL academy. No idea where he will be playing club-wise.

10 minutes ago, Clinton Baptiste said:

Campbell Graham,the very tall and young South Sydney winger has a Scottish (Glasgow) father and an English(Midlands) mother.Does he count?

Yes he does. Throw all the Scots in.

Euan Aitken (Dragons), Jarred Anderson (Dogs).

Sheldon Powe-Hobbs (N Pride) and Billy McConnachie (Ipswich) in Q Cup.

Lachlan Stein (Newtown)