Brits in the NRL

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Pangai should play 13. Move Gillett back to the edge. 

None of it matters unless they sign a 7

When Lodge and Haas are back in the mix I hope Seibold does move Pangai to 13.

I think Nikorima and Milford can do a job for the Broncos, I expect them to improve as they play more under their new coach.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 4/3/2019 at 6:01 PM, Dunbar said:

When Lodge and Haas are back in the mix I hope Seibold does move Pangai to 13.

I think Nikorima and Milford can do a job for the Broncos, I expect them to improve as they play more under their new coach.

Pangai with a dog shot on Cronk last night. Think the comparisons with Taumalolo are overblown personally. JT was way ahead of him at that age and had already won a Dally M. 

Think Broncos are looking really shaky. Boyd looks half the player and their halves are erratic. No organisation

https://twitter.com/NRLonNine/status/1113735860665573376

8 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

Pangai with a dog shot on Cronk last night. Think the comparisons with Taumalolo are overblown personally. JT was way ahead of him at that age and had already won a Dally M. 

Think Broncos are looking really shaky. Boyd looks half the player and their halves are erratic. No organisation

https://twitter.com/NRLonNine/status/1113735860665573376

It was a dirty shot by Pangai on Cronk and he deserves a ban.

The commentators did point out though that Cronk's injury in the photo was not the result of the Pangai incident. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Really interesting listening to Mal Meninga and Matty Johns praising the Brits for not being over coached, playing what they see, not being precious and playing anywhere the coach asks of them.

I think it's time everyone recognised the strengths and sang the praises of our comp!

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

55 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Really interesting listening to Mal Meninga and Matty Johns praising the Brits for not being over coached, playing what they see, not being precious and playing anywhere the coach asks of them.

I think it's time everyone recognised the strengths and sang the praises of our comp!

I agree. SL does produce alot of good players particularly in the forwards. 

Given the low salary cap, there is often a case of players filling in, like Peter Mata'utia last night at HB for Cas and putting in a Stellar preformance. 

SL while it Dosent have near the depth of the NRL does have some very good players and a all stars game between the two leagues would be closer than people may think.... 

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

SL while it Dosent have near the depth of the NRL does have some very good players and a all stars game between the two leagues would be closer than people may think...

That or a "League of Origin Series"  just before  planned international tests .... yes I know pie in the sky, but

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The four English lads in the Canberra pack went well today. They were up against a Cowboys pack where the three middle forwards were Kangaroos and the two edge forwards were Queensland State of Origin reps and came out on top.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

The Raiders pack got the better of the Eels last night.

Whitehead and Bateman were as reliable as ever and Hodgson steered the team around with ease.

But the surprise for me is how well Ryan Sutton has performed so far.

Sutton was very good yesterday, apart from a missed tackle towards the end which almost resulted in an Eels try. He ran hard and made a lot of metres. Seems a bit of a surprise package, perhaps other clubs/players are underestimating him too. 

Whitehead was excellent. Hodgson was good, controlling the ruck and leading the team around the pitch as usual. However he does have a tendency of playing to the forwards too much instead of finding his halves and outside backs and Canberra really should’ve put more points on the board in the first half given their dominance. Perhaps he doesn’t have much faith in his halves of Williams and Wighton. 

Bateman was rather subdued, not sure if he was suffering from blisters or discomfort in his boots as he changed them midway through the first half. He didn’t look his dynamic self but was solid enough 

Edited by DoubleD

Bateman played well - that run towards the end where he carried 3 players with him and managed to offload was top drawer.  I would agree he wasn't quite as outstanding as the other games but I think he was giving some of the Aussie lads a chance to shine. ? 

Credit to Blake Ferguson playing on with the remains of his nose and then suspected fractured ribs - you really do have to be made of stone to play Rugby League

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Sutton was very good yesterday, apart from a missed tackle towards the end which almost resulted in an Eels try. He ran hard and made a lot of metres. Seems a bit of a surprise package, perhaps other clubs/players are underestimating him too. 

Whitehead was excellent. Hodgson was good, controlling the ruck and leading the team around the pitch as usual. However he does have a tendency of playing to the forwards too much instead of finding his halves and outside backs and Canberra really should’ve put more points on the board in the first half given their dominance. Perhaps he doesn’t have much faith in his halves of Williams and Wighton. 

Bateman was rather subdued, not sure if he was suffering from blisters or discomfort in his boots as he changed them midway through the first half. He didn’t look his dynamic self but was solid enough 

Or perhaps he's just doing what his coach wanted him to do. Stuart said that the game plan was to take them on up the middle and that's what they did.

• Like 1

Bateman solid as ever. Cant expect him or anybody to shine in every game. Did his job as usual to high standards

Whitehead similar to Bateman. Solid and does his job well. Seems to improve each season.

Hodgson as usual made a couple of awful passes from Dummy Half to nobody and kicked out on the full once. I think he tries way too hard and over plays things. Dont rate him as highly as some do. With the Halves Canberra have though, can understand why he does try and do their job as they dont create much and dont get the ball out wide at all.

Sutton is a plodder, who goes OK, but thats it. Offers little in attack or defence really. Just Mr Average. He just seems to be used as a battering ram. Hope he gets a bit of a passing game developed in future.

Canberra seem to be trying to copy Melbourne with strong defence and an attack that will sort itself out. This has worked so far, but they lack a 1,6 and 9 that can control a game and can create something from nothing. The halves are awful. Sadly then Hodgson at 9 tries to do everything and against a top hooker like Smith or Cook is left wanting. Canberra should be well in the 8s this year, but lack quality to do much in the Playoffs.

• Like 1

So Round 6. Sam and Bateman on 6 points in Dally M reckoning. Munster leads with 11.

Dragons v Manly

Widdop still out but Graham plays. Jordan Pereira who put his hand up for England has been going great on the wing.

Souths v Bulldogs

Sam now captain after GI retirement, twins both in as is Campbell Graham.

Canberra v Brisbane

All four Poms slated to play. Sutton been really impressive, still waiting for Whitehead to explode into action. Bateman and Hodgson been great.

Roosters v Storm

Radley fills in at 9 again, Hall expected back Rd 8. 

Q Cup

Devils - Herbie Farnworth is second in points chart after scoring four tries and kicking goals. Next cab off the rank if Brisbane go a man down in the backs?

Cutters - Alex Gerrard has been playing, Lloyd White not in this weekend - unsure why.

Capras - Luke George scored just once so far this season. Bottom of the table