Brits in the NRL

20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

John Bateman and Ryan Sutton score their first NRL tries vs Brisbane in a 26-22 win. 

Two assists for Bateman as well. Worth seeking out his offload for Joey Leilua. Sheer class.

An exciting game and a tense finish.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

John Bateman and Ryan Sutton score their first NRL tries vs Brisbane in a 26-22 win. 

Two assists for Bateman as well. Worth seeking out his offload for Joey Leilua. Sheer class.

Half the crowd damn near had a heart attack in those last few minutes!

Edited by Copa
  • Haha 1

I hadn't seen any Raiders games this year until tonight. How good are the Poms on the team!!

I feel Great Britain is a smokescreen for the Kangaroos right now.

England are stronger than I've seen them for over 20 years. The Kangaroos are in a state of change with Slater, Thurston, Cronk, Smith, Inglis all out. All their "once in a generation" talent are gone. 

England need to be pushing hard to play the Kangaroos as many times as possible. If not, they need to be playing Tonga and New Zealand multiple times a year.

The RLIF also need to grow some balls and put in place a rule that would require Tier 1 nations to play a minimum amount per year. Right now the Kangaroos are essentially camping on the top spot.

Great Britain can't accumulate ranking points. It's not going to help change the attitude of Australia.

• Like 9

new rise.jpg

Don't we know it.  Best chance to beat them in decades and we aren't playing them.

Great match this morning - praise to CNK at fullback for the Raiders, I thought he looked a decent winger at the Warriors but his game has come on leaps and bounds.  Bateman was excellent again (that offload was world class) and good to see Sutton doing well.

• Like 1

I am not sure that the Sutton try should have been given as the ball was headed (accidently) and I thought that was classed as a knock on. But with so many rules I sometimes get mixed up! Maybe its just in the UK where any heading of the ball is classed as a knock on.

Englands problem is,as can be seen in the NRL, they have quality forwards like Sam Burgess, Elliot Whitehead and John Bateman. Probably only matched for power by Tonga. But much like Tonga the Halfbacks and Backs are not very good in comparison to what Australia have. You look at Tedesco, Addo-Carr, Mitchell, Munster and  Keary and England have not that type of quality for me.

33 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I am not sure that the Sutton try should have been given as the ball was headed (accidently) and I thought that was classed as a knock on. But with so many rules I sometimes get mixed up! Maybe its just in the UK where any heading of the ball is classed as a knock on.

I thought it was only classed as a knock on if you head it forward on purpose, being outlawed after that Saints try years ago.

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

You look at Tedesco, Addo-Carr, Mitchell, Munster and  Keary and England have not that type of quality for me.

I don't disagree with you general points, but England has five wingers better than Addo-Carr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

People called Romans they go the house

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The Mole is reporting that the Bulldogs are interested in Thompson.  At 23, the NRL is a no brainer imo.

Tbh unless the salary cap goes up in SL I can see in a few years 20 English players or so in the NRL.

SL produces some very good Forwards and given the salary and lifestyle on offer some will want to go down under. 

Having said this, I don't know how much the cap could go up before SL becomes less competitive. 

2M plus 2 x marquee and home trained allowances seems reasonable. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The Mole is reporting that the Bulldogs are interested in Thompson.  At 23, the NRL is a no brainer imo.

As much as he’ll be missed at Saints I think he needs to go and within in a couple of years will be classed as the best prop in the world. As long as he avoids serious injury. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Tbh unless the salary cap goes up in SL I can see in a few years 20 English players or so in the NRL.

SL produces some very good Forwards and given the salary and lifestyle on offer some will want to go down under. 

Having said this, I don't know how much the cap could go up before SL becomes less competitive. 

2M plus 2 x marquee and home trained allowances seems reasonable. 

Just shows how good our forwards really are.  Bateman has always been a battler, many times in a struggling team.  Now he’s is a stronger team, he’s shining even more and so is Sutton.  

Thompson will get excellent advice from JGraham.  

• Like 1

This is gonna happen more n more . Eyes there are turning this way with the success - mainly of our forwards . They really do seem to rate and value a Pom forward . Sticky Ricky really is eulogising over the ethic they bring , and similar with Graham and especially Sam 

33 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I always have a think who else could go and play in the NRL. Thompson is an obvious one. Who else would be able to go and do well?

Any forward with a good workrate who can play 50 minutes should think about it. Look at Mike Cooper. All he did was tackle a lot and do a lot of the unglamorous hitups off his own line and he was in the team every week. Every team needs about 6 of those guys and they don't have to be megastars. Look at Finucane at the Storm or Josh Jackson at the Dogs. Guys like that will be in the 17 every week. Aiden Tolman is in his 12th year and he's no megastar.

Edited by Farmduck

Not sure how Greenwood failed to make a go of it, as he is clearly a better player than Sutton. Maybe he joined the wrong team? There is a risk that SL will be unable ever to keep its stars, but I hope that is one of the things focussing the minds of the chairmen. Wigan are particularly susceptible to people leaving, as our name is so well known, when compared with clubs like St Helens.

When Williams joins, Canberra will play more Englishmen than Catalans play Frenchmen most weeks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I always have a think who else could go and play in the NRL. Thompson is an obvious one. Who else would be able to go and do well?

I think a few of the Saints young forwards would go well over there, and despite what our Wigan friend thinks it's not the club you play for, witness Whitehead, Hodgson, the Burgess boys, that determines your desireability to NRL club's it's their contacts over here who they take opinions from.

7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I disagree, joining the Bulldogs would be a backward step for Thompson. They’re a mess currently 

9 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

The Mole also said they were interested in SBW. The Dogs are skint, so make of that what you will. Worth taking with a pinch of salt. I remember reading somewhere that Thompson's dad is a multi millionaire, so I guess chasing dollars is not his priority. If he did try his hand in the NRL, you'd think Nathan Brown would have had a quiet word -  Same with Theo Fages who is rumoured to be on the move...

Although, if I was the Dragons I'd try and get Thompson in as as a replacement for Jammer or (if convicted/banned) JDB.