Brits in the NRL

Saw The Roosters game on replay. 

Hall had a solid game and is defensively very strong and able. A good showing imo. 

Hall should improve more as he gets more games under his belt and used to the Roosters systems. 

33 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Saw The Roosters game on replay. 

Hall had a solid game and is defensively very strong and able. A good showing imo. 

Hall should improve more as he gets more games under his belt and used to the Roosters systems. 

If the Roosters were half as good at moving the ball to their right as they are to the left he would be in with a shout... he didn't get too much of a sniff today.

But 200+ meters with ball in hand was a solid effort.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hall has been brought in for that specific purpose and is doing it better with each week. Line breaks and tries are the next step for him, and I don't think it's too far away. Excited to have both him and Watkins both in the NRL now. England's best backs in this generation, being challenged to find their best form after injury, in this comp. I think they'll both do it, later this year and certainly next.

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 1

We’re now just a FB and 5/8 from a bona fide ‘Brits in the NRL’ XIII (ie not having to put George Burgess, Chris McQueen etc in and out of position to make up the numbers)

?

Farnworth

Watkins

Bateman

Hall

?

Widdop

Graham

Hodgson

Tom

Whitehead

Sam

Sutton

George Williams is apparently joining Canberra and Jack Walker was on the NRL radar last year let alone now, so those gaps may be filled quite soon.

It begs questions about England/GB Tests and whether we should be playing Down Under each year during the international window at the very least.

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Has Ryan Hall had to swap wings? 

Played all his career at Leeds/England on the left but played yesterday on the right.

I think he’s played all his games for the Roosters on the right wing. Daniel Tupou has been impressive this year on the left and formed a good relationship with Mitchell so don’t think they want to disrupt that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Has Ryan Hall had to swap wings? 

Played all his career at Leeds/England on the left but played yesterday on the right.

I'm fairly certain he's played mainly on the right for England and I certainly remember him scoring tries there against Australia and New Zealand on the right.

20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think he’s played all his games for the Roosters on the right wing. Daniel Tupou has been impressive this year on the left and formed a good relationship with Mitchell so don’t think they want to disrupt that

They an interesting team the Roosters. While Mitchell and Manu are both capable of miracle passes neither are classic wingers centres and the centres themselves are the real strike weapons.

As a result Robinson tends to go with big wingers who can carry the ball for 200 metres a game and support the forwards in go forward so that they have the energy for their suffocating defence. 

It works well.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm fairly certain he's played mainly on the right for England and I certainly remember him scoring tries there against Australia and New Zealand on the right.

Mainly on the left for England if my memory is right. Remember the disallowed try against Australia at Wembley when Perenara was reffing? Or the fingertip try/no try against Australia in Melbourne? Both on the left. 

Edit. The Wembley try was Tom Briscoe I think. 

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Fair enough, I saw his first game against the broncos and he played outside Mitchell who had a horror show on the left.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Mainly on the left for England if my memory is right. Remember the disallowed try against Australia at Wembley when Perenara was reffing? Or the fingertip try/no try against Australia in Melbourne? Both on the left. 

I think when Slater tried to stop him scoring in the corner and did his shoulder in he was playing right wing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

• Thanks 1

I think I have worked it out. Hall has played on both wings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Kallum Watkins hasn't even been named in the extended 21 man squad for the Titans game this week - he's not down as injured either. 

I get it's a big move etc but he's been down there well over a week and compared to Rhyse Martin, who literally landed last Wednesday and played the Friday...  

Maybe there's another reason he's out but with strong murmurings that the Titans coach didn't even want Watkins, it looks very ominous for his time there at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Kallum Watkins hasn't even been named in the extended 21 man squad for the Titans game this week - he's not down as injured either. 

I get it's a big move etc but he's been down there well over a week and compared to Rhyse Martin, who literally landed last Wednesday and played the Friday...  

Maybe there's another reason he's out but with strong murmurings that the Titans coach didn't even want Watkins, it looks very ominous for his time there at the moment. 

Is he actually "fit" though.. its one thing not being injured but is he "fit"? IMHO when he was playing the last few times, no he isnt and Leeds were so desperate that they played him even though he was well off the boil, hence him playing the 2nd row as well. The one thing I thought when he went to the NRL was "good, he can rehab better and he can take him time getting fit for the next month or so".. its a purchase for next season for the Titans not this really.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 06:56, Man of Kent said:

We’re now just a FB and 5/8 from a bona fide ‘Brits in the NRL’ XIII (ie not having to put George Burgess, Chris McQueen etc in and out of position to make up the numbers)

?

Farnworth

Watkins

Bateman

Hall

?

Widdop

Graham

Hodgson

Tom

Whitehead

Sam

Sutton

George Williams is apparently joining Canberra and Jack Walker was on the NRL radar last year let alone now, so those gaps may be filled quite soon.

It begs questions about England/GB Tests and whether we should be playing Down Under each year during the international window at the very least.

but its ok to play Bateman out of position?? :kolobok_ph34r:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Interestingly on the GC website AJ Brimson was asked about Watkins and he said that he couldn't wait to see Watkins play when he is '100% fit'.  I think that the Titans will be looking to assess his condition before playing him.  Probably the best move as I think a few weeks for Watkins to refresh and get ready would be good for him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RP London said:

Is he actually "fit" though.. its one thing not being injured but is he "fit"? IMHO when he was playing the last few times, no he isnt and Leeds were so desperate that they played him even though he was well off the boil, hence him playing the 2nd row as well. The one thing I thought when he went to the NRL was "good, he can rehab better and he can take him time getting fit for the next month or so".. its a purchase for next season for the Titans not this really.

That's kind of what i'm hoping, RP. If he get's thrown in with the Queensland Cup side I think that suggests he's just not getting picked but if he's just out then yeah, hopefully that means GC have put him on a program to get him ready for next year. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Interestingly on the GC website AJ Brimson was asked about Watkins and he said that he couldn't wait to see Watkins play when he is '100% fit'.  I think that the Titans will be looking to assess his condition before playing him.  Probably the best move as I think a few weeks for Watkins to refresh and get ready would be good for him.

Yeah same sentiments I just replied to RP. Hopefully that's the case mate. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah same sentiments I just replied to RP. Hopefully that's the case mate. 

Agreed.  But I hope he gets a chance to show what he can do later this year as it will set him up nicely for a pre-season and a big 2020.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 15:07, deluded pom? said:

Correct been a left winger for Leeds but both sides at international level

incorrect, the ref was Sutton and his brother was the video ref. Biggest stitch up at international level I’ve ever seen!

C3C1892B-B0FD-43B6-A86F-4FEDEF6A4BF3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1