Brits in the NRL

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

According to Wikipedia its these two and Central Queensland Capras but I don't know how accurate this is.

Ah okay - I would've never guessed that as they play out of Rockhampton which is way north of Brisbane, never mind the GC. If Watkins ever was going to play Qld Cup i'd assume it'd be Burleigh or Tweed Heads as they're both in and around the GC at least. 

• Like 1

Suggesting he can't force his way in looks wide of the mark to me. Given he's not playing reserve grade, I think it's pretty clear Watkins is unavailable. I'd guess he's being given time to get his body right, as he's looked like he's been playing half injured all year. I've also read his working visa paperwork was still being processed... Probably a blessing in disguise. A chance to have a month getting himself back to 100% might be just what he needs.

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Morningstar said:

Watkins working visa hasn’t been processed yet so he can’t play any grade yet.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/09/jacks-fighting-for-future-in-taylors-continued-absence/

England international Kallum Watkins trained well but won’t be available for selection until his working visa paperwork has been processed.”

Thanks.  Well, that's sorted that conversation out then!

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I see that James Graham has been named to start at 13 for the Dragons in his comeback game from injury.  Not that 8, 10 and 13 are very different these days in the majority of teams.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I see that James Graham has been named to start at 13 for the Dragons in his comeback game from injury.  Not that 8, 10 and 13 are very different these days in the majority of teams.

With no Ben Hunt or Widdop i'm surprised he's not in the halves....and i'm only slightly joking. But yeah, I expect his attack workload to be limited with him only just returning so wouldn't be surprised at all to see him give it more than carry it up. 

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

With no Ben Hunt or Widdop i'm surprised he's not in the halves....and i'm only slightly joking. But yeah, I expect his attack workload to be limited with him only just returning so wouldn't be surprised at all to see him give it more than carry it up. 

I would love to see Graham passing more. This part of his game has fallen away a lot in the last couple of years... not the talent, he just seems to be a workhorse prop these days which is a real shame as he is a very creative passer of the ball.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

Gareth Widdop has been named at 6 for St George this weekend.

The Dragons are desperate for a winning run to try and make the finals.  I just hope Widdop is ready as I felt that he was rushed back last year in the finals and suffered a recurrence of his injury.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

lso looking forward to seeing Kallum Watkins in action. A month off should have done him some good.

Agreed, I hope he goes well.  Back in his proper position and after some rest and conditioning work and with little pressure on him.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Gareth Widdop has been named at 6 for St George this weekend.

The Dragons are desperate for a winning run to try and make the finals.  I just hope Widdop is ready as I felt that he was rushed back last year in the finals and suffered a recurrence of his injury.

I couldn’t believe I just saw that. Great news if he is fit. I hope he’s not being rushed because I can’t see St George making the playoffs so it would be pointless 

Really pleased to see Watkins straight into the starting line up for his debut. Just a slight shame that the Broncos have dropped Farnworth back to the reserves as we'd have got to see them up against each other - but there's time for that in future I guess. 

As others have said, really hope Widdop is ready to play and not being rushed because of Dragons poor season. 

• Like 1

Sometimes players on the fringe of the NRL 17 are sent to reserves because they haven't played for a while. Depending on the scheduling of your NRL and NSW/Q Cup teams, your #18 and #19 may not get a game for a few weeks. This week is a split round in the Q Cup. If Farnworth didn't play for Broncos this week or next, there would be no Norths Devils game for him next week. Also this week Norths kickoff is 6pm Sat and Broncos 5.30pm Sat. Possibly, if the Norths Devils game had been on Sunday the Broncos would have kept him with the NRL squad until the final team announcement.

• Thanks 1

So Kallum Watkins made his NRL debut in the derby match vs Brisbane today. Predictably Brisbane won comfortably. Watkins was one of Gold Coast’s better players but it was very much a mixed bag.

He missed a cover tackle of David Fifita, after Tyrone Roberts had missed the original one, which led to a Michael Gordon sin binning for holding on after the full back got Fifita. He also lost a ball in the tackle in his own half, which led to a late Broncos try in the first half.

On the plus side, the right edge for Gold Coast was most lively and he had some nice touches and passes and solid bar the one missed tackle. However, he still doesn’t look 100% to me. There was a break by Gordon on the right edge and he passed inside to Watkins who was lagging too far behind the play and a Broncos player intercepted. I’m not sure what is up, he looks like he’s not fully fit/carrying an injury. At least I hope it’s that and not that he’s on the decline.

On a separate matter, what a waste of space and talent Tyrone Peachey looks at GC. He doesn’t look half the player he was at Penrith. I bet they wished they hadn’t shelled out for him now 

Edited by DoubleD
Correction ref Peachey

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

On a separate matter, what a waste of space and talent Tyrone Peachey looks at GC. He doesn’t look half the player he was in the capital. I bet they wished they hadn’t shelled out for him now 

When did he play for the Raiders ??

Solid enough start for Kallum. He didn't look like a player making his debut. 

The Miss on Fifita wasn't good, but plenty of players have and will have a tough time stopping him! 

Kallum needs a good off-season/NRL pre-season.

He could probably do with not getting picked for GB.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The Roosters have ridiculous depth in the outside backs. 6 top line internationals competing for 5 spots, plus a number of good youngsters. Robinson seems to be rotating and resting all of them. Hall has improved with every week and should be hitting top form come finals. His metre making is already valuable and the other parts of his game are getting up to speed. I'd be surprised if he's been dropped. As for Watkins - looked solid, and the only way is up with game time and combinations.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 11:39, Davo5 said:

Bateman outstanding for the Raiders in their win at Penrith today and strong games from Hodgson & Whitehead,Canberra are genuine contenders for a premiership this year.

He was, probably MOM, although he did bomb a 3 vs 2 in the second half. 

What are your thoughts on the Nicol-Klopstad try in the 2nd half? I was surprised it didn’t get called for a tackle in the air, it would’ve done over here but they seem more lenient over there with it. Makes it very open to interpretation though.

Josh Mansour is also a shadow of himself, he’s barely first grade quality now. Perhaps a good off and pre season will help him 

• Like 1

Why the laughing emoji Allora,did you think the 3 players I mentioned didn't have good games or is it you can't stand English players going well in the NRL  with your one eyed Aussie supremacy theory.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Why the laughing emoji Allora,did you think the 3 players I mentioned didn't have good games or is it you can't stand English players going well in the NRL  with your one eyed Aussie supremacy theory.

Probably Canberra’s contender comment.

26 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Probably Canberra’s contender comment.

Probably but being this forums resident  Pommie bashed you wouldn't know,obviously a team sat in 4th on points difference and only 2 off second place has no chance.