Brits in the NRL

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Probably but being this forums resident  Pommie bashed you wouldn't know,obviously a team sat in 4th on points difference and only 2 off second place has no chance.

I think Canberra are contenders as are Souths and probably Manly. 

But I think all three fall a little short on quality come the really big games and I can't look past Melbourne and the Roosters for the Grand Final if they don't play each other in a qualifying semi.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

But I think all three fall a little short on quality come the really big games and I can't look past Melbourne and the Roosters for the Grand Final if they don't play each other in a qualifying semi.

Manly are in good form but I don’t see them as contenders. Agree with Melbourne and Roosters with Souths and Raiders as outside bets

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree,wouldn’t be surprised to see a repeat of last yrs Grand Final but Souths & the Canberra are going well and could pip the Roosters for 2nd in the ladder which would open up the playoffs.

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago Watkins having a brilliant game against GI when he was on the top of his game. Obviously Watkins has got a lot worse since then so will see how he goes. 

With regards to contender comments, I put the Roosters as clear favourites, Souths and Melbourne just behind Canberra and Manly just behind them. 

Melbourne and Canberra can't compete with the others in terms of experienced world class players. I think they are both punching above their weight with very good coaching and fantastic defence. I think Melbourne have a better squad than Canberra. 

Manly have a very strong team throughout (3rd best IMO) but I don't think they are coached as well and seem to be inconsistent. 

Souths and Roosters have the right mix of world class quality and good coaching but the Roosters just have far too many top class players. 

James Tedesco - Best full back (maybe player) in the world. 

Latrell Mitchell and Joseph Manu - Both in the top 5 centres, back end of last season I'd have said top 2. 

Cooper Cronk - Just an absolute winner through and through. 

Luke Cleary - Fully fit he starts in the halves for Australia for me. 

Boyd Cordner - NSW captain and winner. 

Angus Crichton - Made NSW squad this year.

So you've got 6 or 7 match winners IMO with a further 4 or 5 ex internationals in the squad and a wealth of experience throughout makes them the favourites IMO. 

Edited by RSN

I really hope the Storm don’t get to the GF . It’s getting a bit repetitive and I don’t like them or enjoy watching them tbh .I’d really like to see Canberra there with , say , Manly or Souths just for interest and difference 

3 hours ago, Abicus said:

Watkins has probably signed with the worst club in Rugby League. Titans being beaten 46-0 with 20min to go against the Sydney Roosters.

to be fair I doubt Watkins has ever faced a team of even half the quality of that roosters outfit in his entire career in sl

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, Abicus said:

Watkins has probably signed with the worst club in Rugby League. Titans being beaten 46-0 with 20min to go against the Sydney Roosters.

To be fair, there roster isn't that bad as they have lots of injuries. You add Jai Arrow (origin player and will probably make the Australia squad), Shannon Boyd (former Australian player) and Ryan James (Captain - close to origin selection) to the forward pack that will help.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

to be fair I doubt Watkins has ever faced a team of even half the quality of that roosters outfit in his entire career in sl

And that is a Team without JWH, Ryan Hall, Jake Friend and Captain Boyd Cordner.

The Titans can improve a lot, they just need management and coaching.

2019_squads_titans.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

6 hours ago, Abicus said:

Worst in the NRL at the moment.

Worst in Rugby League? not even close.

As a Test player and SL big name player he is making his way cautiously into the NRL, he got brushed off in defense several times today.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

51 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

only saw the highlights but Watkins looked ineffective against an average dragons team today

What percentage of the game was shown in the actual highlights (taking away replays)? Maybe 2% or 3%? I'm not saying Watkins had a blinder but it is a bit of a generalisation.

James Graham might have had an amazing game and he might not figure a single second in the highlights.

I saw the second half of the Dragons Titans game.  I would describe Watkins performance as quiet rather than ineffective. The Titans threatened a comeback midway through the half and all their attack was on their left edge away from Watkins.

This season is lost to the Titans and Watkins, we will see what Watkins can do next year with a full pre season and a new coach. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I saw the second half of the Dragons Titans game.  I would describe Watkins performance as quiet rather than ineffective. The Titans threatened a comeback midway through the half and all their attack was on their left edge away from Watkins.

This season is lost to the Titans and Watkins, we will see what Watkins can do next year with a full pre season and a new coach. 

He didn’t look fit still in that Roosters game last week, i still can’t figure out what’s wrong with him 

57 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He didn’t look fit still in that Roosters game last week, i still can’t figure out what’s wrong with him 

I remember him being interviewed a while ago (several years) on Sky after a game and he had got a knock on his knee and he said something like "and it was my bad knee as well". As he had not been injured for a while I can only assume the knee that injured a couple of times early in his career continued to cause him problems. 

Only speculation but maybe it is just a recurring thing he manages.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I remember him being interviewed a while ago (several years) on Sky after a game and he had got a knock on his knee and he said something like "and it was my bad knee as well". As he had not been injured for a while I can only assume the knee that injured a couple of times early in his career continued to cause him problems. 

Only speculation but maybe it is just a recurring thing he manages.

It doesn’t look like he’s managing it very well. Could be similar to Konrad Hurrell cos he’s clearly not fit and regularly limps (and went off early again last night)

After this weekend’s round the top 4 is clear:

1, Melbourne Storm

2. Sydney Roosters

3. Canberra Raiders

4. South Sydney Rabbitohs.

This means that British players will be very important for teams 3 and 4. Bateman and Hodgson are two of the most important stars for Canberra. The Burgess brothers are very important for South Sydney, and Sam is the captain.

Whether Ryan Hall plays for the Sydney Roosters in the finals is an open question. In Hall’s absence with a knee injury, Brett Morris has played very well. Trent Robinson has a selection dilemma.

However I am very confident that Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters will be the Grand Finalists

Edited by Manfred Mann