Brits in the NRL

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sam Burgess looks set to miss the start of the finals for hair pulling

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/rabbitohs/burgess-banned-for-a-week-for-hair-pull-on-roosters-rookie/news-story/f4a3d87e6666febccb7bfebd259017b5

Hair pulling! What the hell

I am fast coming to the conclusion that with his error rate and disciplinary issues that Burgess is more of a liability than an asset these days.  He really needs to sort himself out and return to being one of the best players in the world.

Wouldn't quite go that far - he's still the best enforcer in the league. I agree however that he's let a lot of ill discipline and just outright petulance creep into his game over past 2 seasons. All 3 Burgess' back in finals could weirdly galvanise the Bunnies for a huge push. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Sam Burgess looks set to miss the start of the finals for hair pulling

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/rabbitohs/burgess-banned-for-a-week-for-hair-pull-on-roosters-rookie/news-story/f4a3d87e6666febccb7bfebd259017b5

Hair pulling! What the hell

I am fast coming to the conclusion that with his error rate and disciplinary issues that Burgess is more of a liability than an asset these days.  He really needs to sort himself out and return to being one of the best players in the world.

x

Edited by Allora
  • Haha 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Sam Burgess has always had a dirty side to his game.

His contribution to the game versus his grubby play  has got worse for the last two years.

He is not an on field enforcer by any means.

I would love to see him have a serious disagreement with JWH or Paul Gallen.

My money is not on him.

I agree with part of this.

Burgess has a stupid part of his game.  Hair pulling to get a ban from the finals is just an idiot play.  It's not tough and it's not being an enforcer pulling someones hair.

But, when he concentrates on the proper stuff he is as tough as they come, I would say as tough as JWH and Gallen.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

Sam Burgess has always had a dirty side to his game.

His contribution to the game versus his grubby play  has got worse for the last two years.

He is not an on field enforcer by any means.

I would love to see him have a serious disagreement with JWH or Paul Gallen.

My money is not on him.

Never seen him take a backward step against anyone - except Dylan Napa a few years back. Paul Gallen......please - he's the same as the likes of Ben Westwood over here, hard as nails in his day and postures a lot but nobody actually has any real fear of running at them. Burgess protects his team by putting himself in the firing line week in week out. Sometimes it backfires. 

13 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Never seen him take a backward step against anyone - except Dylan Napa a few years back. Paul Gallen......please - he's the same as the likes of Ben Westwood over here, hard as nails in his day and postures a lot but nobody actually has any real fear of running at them. Burgess protects his team by putting himself in the firing line week in week out. Sometimes it backfires. 

x

Edited by Allora
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I know Dylan Napa and his Dad Stan personally

My Son played Rugby Union with Dylan at School.

Paul Gallen has had a few Boxing matches and won all of them I think.

I do not gamble but I would back Gallen or JWH against  that Flog Sam Burgess.

Given Australia's long history of having zero boxing talent,Gallen having a few "fights" against bums dragged from Kings Cross nightspots isn't much of a statement.

Im a Roosters fan but JWH is a bigger liability than Sam Burgess,he's also up at the disciplinary this week.

Napa liked a good shot but didn't fancy the hard yards and lived off that Souths game for 3 seasons.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Given Australia's long history of having zero boxing talent,Gallen having a few "fights" against bums dragged from Kings Cross nightspots isn't much of a statement.

Im a Roosters fan but JWH is a bigger liability than Sam Burgess,he's also up at the disciplinary this week.

Napa liked a good shot but didn't fancy the hard yards and lived off that Souths game for 3 seasons.

x

Edited by Allora
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

That is your opinion for what its worth.

You do realise a Footballer fighting in a charity match or promotional event is not the same as professional Boxer fighting his way to the top.

Nothing like a long distance expert view....

Your opinion of Napa sums up your knowledge of the game in Australia  in general, overseas limited exposure expert.

Sam Burgess is delivering less each game and season than he has before.

Australians have a term for a player like him in recent times "GRUB"

You were the one who quoted Gallen having boxed as a measure of his "hardness"

Nothing like an armchair expert view who quotes a million reasons for not attending games and has a long sad history of inaccurate & laughable posts about British players that sums up a total lack of knowledge of the game.

We have a term for your type.Gobs###e.

Nothing like an armchair expert view who quotes a million reasons for not attending games and has a long sad history of inaccurate & laughable posts about British players that sums up a total lack of knowledge of the game.

x

Edited by Allora

x

Edited by Allora
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Allora said:

I know Dylan Napa and his Dad Stan personally

My Son played Rugby Union with Dylan at School.

Paul Gallen has had a few Boxing matches and won all of them I think.

I do not gamble but I would back Gallen or JWH against  that Flog Sam Burgess every day of the week.

What are you laughing about "Davo"

Enlighten me.

I believe a previous poster that you attacked and shamed and ran off these boards last year is looking at their options .......

You can well laugh Davo, I am sure the Admins and owners of this Forum do not feel quite as comfortable about is as you.

Yeah Dylan is definitely a tough kid who has mixed it with the hard men of the NRL from day one. 

Not sure the relevance of Gallen's, or any other NRL players, fighting ability has anything to do with being an enforcer in the NRL these days. The fear of getting dropped if you p*ssed off the wrong guy are long gone. For example i've no doubt SBW could outbox Sam but that didn't stop Sam intimidating him on the field many times over the years. Tallis, Harragon and even as recently as Morley wouldn't be the type of 'enforcer' we recognised them as back then in today's game. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah Dylan is definitely a tough kid who has mixed it with the hard men of the NRL from day one. 

Not sure the relevance of Gallen's, or any other NRL players, fighting ability has anything to do with being an enforcer in the NRL these days. The fear of getting dropped if you p*ssed off the wrong guy are long gone. For example i've no doubt SBW could outbox Sam but that didn't stop Sam intimidating him on the field many times over the years. Tallis, Harragon and even as recently as Morley wouldn't be the type of 'enforcer' we recognised them as back then in today's game. 

x

Edited by Allora
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Allora said:

Burgess is not an "enforcer" more a thug who works outside the rules of out game..

Burgess has shown what he is and most do not appreciate it.

So you're saying Burgess doesn't run hard or tackle hard he just does dirty tactics the whole time to intimidate opponents?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Allora said:

Burgess is not an "enforcer" more a thug who works outside the rules of out game..

Burgess has shown what he is and most do not appreciate it.

Can normally see your point on most things NRL related mate - but I just completely disagree with this. 

Pretty much any article you read/hear about Sam in the Aus media literally refer to him as much. Countless current and former NRL players regarding him as one of the toughest players in the game. Is he regarded by some as a 'grub'? Of course, but that doesn't mean he isn't still all of the above? 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Having looked at it, it’s more of a penalty than anything else.  If the Ref thought it was serious he should given him 10 minutes, but a ban, considering he got nothing for his indiscretion last time, smacks more of an evening up call by the judiciary.

He should maybe give Cam Smith a ring and ask how he continually gets away with similar if not worse offences.

• Like 1

Sam Burgess is an enforcer, but he is also a loose cannon who hurts his team often more than helps them. His discipline is shocking, despite being Captain. He is also 30 and has missed a few weeks due to injury etc. Yes he is tough and can play quality Football at times. But he is also a liability! And why he feels the need to pull hair and grab the balls of oppponents I dont know. He just does some really dumb things. I think there are better, more consistant forwards on less money that offer more than Sam- David Fifita, Big Nelson for example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Sam Burgess is an enforcer, but he is also a loose cannon who hurts his team often more than helps them. His discipline is shocking, despite being Captain. He is also 30 and has missed a few weeks due to injury etc. Yes he is tough and can play quality Football at times. But he is also a liability! And why he feels the need to pull hair and grab the balls of oppponents I dont know. He just does some really dumb things. I think there are better, more consistant forwards on less money that offer more than Sam- David Fifita, Big Nelson for example.

This sums up my original point.

If he cuts out the stupid bits, concentrates on his game and reduces the unforced errors, Burgess will be back to being one of the very best forwards in the game... if not the best.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris