Brits in the NRL

56 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I wonder if Sutton is in with a shout for the final.  I wasn't convinced by Lui and Guler off the bench for the Raiders to be honest.

Although it would be a brave call for Stuart to change the team.

I just hope for both his own and the Raiders sake that Papalii escapes punishment for the tackle he was placed on report for.

Explain to me what was wrong with that tackle.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Think they were saying contact with the head. They will have to look at it in super slo mo to see whether it was direct or not. If it turns out it was I think there’s a good chance he’ll miss the final which would be a real shame. 

If Billy Slater can knee someone in the head Im sure Papalii can ride a textbook tackle. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It looked worse because he was was slipping but even then it wasn't dangerous. If he gets banned for that I'd be disgusted.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

32 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Why are you asking me what was wrong with it, I said I don't want him to be banned.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

40 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Think they were saying contact with the head. They will have to look at it in super slo mo to see whether it was direct or not. If it turns out it was I think there’s a good chance he’ll miss the final which would be a real shame. 

If papali gets banned for that I’ll give up this game , seriously . That was a fantastic textbook crunching shot and has been for a 100 years . It does my head in that we scrutinise tackles in minute slow motion frame by frame . The game isn’t played like that , you could do that with dozens of  tackles a game . It’s a fast moving sport and examining things the exact opposite way is totally distorting and misleading .Players are moving at pace , changing direction , changing height etc . And it’s accentuated if a guy stays down - then we work back to find something . Look at Union is becoming with tackle strictures going off the scale , we don’t want that or you’ll suck the life out the game we knew 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Speaking of tackles, Gagais tackle on Wighton which was a neck shirt collar tackle from behind how do people feel about the shirt collar grab? 

Does it merit being a legit tackle? 

What does all this discussion have to do with Brits in the NRL?

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

If papali gets banned for that I’ll give up this game , seriously . That was a fantastic textbook crunching shot and has been for a 100 years . It does my head in that we scrutinise tackles in minute slow motion frame by frame . The game isn’t played like that , you could do that with dozens of  tackles a game . It’s a fast moving sport and examining things the exact opposite way is totally distorting and misleading .Players are moving at pace , changing direction , changing height etc . And it’s accentuated if a guy stays down - then we work back to find something . Look at Union is becoming with tackle strictures going off the scale , we don’t want that or you’ll suck the life out the game we knew 

He hasn't been banned:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/28/i-got-the-ball-papalii-not-sweating-gf-after-doueihi-hit/

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Strange one why he got left out over Guler anyway - he did have an injury about 3 weeks back which never really got mentioned by Canberra but I saw on Instagram his leg in a temporary splint. So not sure if that what's kept him out and they just keep naming him in reserves to give every opportunity if he is fit? 

Sutton is far superior to Guler. I don’t think he is quite right though because he hasn’t been himself in recent weeks. 

Not surprised by the George Burgess omission as he’s been poor recently. It’ll be interesting to see how he goes at Wigan and I hope the change will rejuvenate him because he’s been on a downward spiral for a while

3 minutes ago, Rick Ollett said:

Is Victor Radley available for GB/England? Born in South Yorkshire??

Roosters enforcer Victor Radley says he has no aspirations to represent England at any point in the future, pledging his full commitment to NSW and Australia.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/victor-radley-nrl-sydney-roosters-nsw-blues-squad-tevita-pangai-jnr/okzc3c2ct7u1vgr679oi387l

Is having 3/4 English players playing for one of the Grand Finalist a first?

Edited by audois

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

15 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Has that ever happened before?

I should be asking Statto this I know

No. The only way this can happen is if two of Melbourne, New Zealand or Canberra make the final. 

NZ and Canberra have only now made one final a piece since the NRL era.

Obviously with Perth and Adelaide teams in the past the odds were much higher but neither made a final.

This means nothing now though with the Roosters making it.

new rise.jpg

Bateman has got a new agent in Australia.

Seems like the agent has got in his ear to explain he can earn a lot more if he were to negotiate an exit from the Raiders.

He uses the "I have to do what's best for my family" line a few times.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/john-bateman-to-seek-upgrade-future-clouded-at-raiders/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Seems like the agent has got in his ear to explain he can earn a lot more if he were to negotiate an exit from the Raiders.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/john-bateman-to-seek-upgrade-future-clouded-at-raiders/

All rather odd this - especially in finals week! 

I get the agent is just doing what agents do but Bateman himself is commenting on it - can't imagine that's going down too well with anyone at Canberra, least of all his teammates. 

No doubt this will all get sorted and it'll be announced soon he's signed a new 4 year deal with the Raiders and all will be forgotten, but still, the timing is awful. Just to add - be interested to know if any new deal Bateman signs still includes the clause about him returning to Wigan if he comes back to SL. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I get the agent is just doing what agents do but Bateman himself is commenting on it - can't imagine that's going down too well with anyone at Canberra, least of all his teammates. 

No doubt this will all get sorted and it'll be announced soon he's signed a new 4 year deal with the Raiders and all will be forgotten, but still, the timing is awful. Just to add - be interested to know if any new deal Bateman signs still includes the clause about him returning to Wigan if he comes back to SL. 

I agree that the timing is poor in the week leading up to the Grand Final.

I suspect the agent is jumping on Bateman being the front runner for Dally M second row of the year... but for Bateman to get involved and speak about a potential exit this week I hope is naivety rather than opportunism.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I’d give it to Bateman in that list . I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get that accolade 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’d give it to Bateman in that list . I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get that accolade 

I think he will get it too, and it will be well deserved.

16 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I doubt that has anything to do with his contract with Canberrra. If it exists it would’ve been negotiated with Wigan as part of his release.