Brits in the NRL

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

For those with Watch NRL, this is on at a civilised hour, if you're interested in seeing what sort of shape Kallum's in.

9:00am NRL Pre Season

Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans

LIVE STREAM: 9:00am Watch NRL

I shall be tuning in.

And we could see a bit of Herbie Farnsworth as well as he is on an extended Broncos bench.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

No Bateman until ‘round seven or eight’ ☹️

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/27/bateman-hit-for-six-after-shoulder-surgery/

Meanwhile George Williams is to play alongside Jack Wighton in the halves in Saturday’s friendly against Canterbury 

That's a real shame. Could be good news for Ryan Sutton though as they may decide to move Tapine into the back row and play Sutton at 13. 

51 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That's a real shame. Could be good news for Ryan Sutton though as they may decide to move Tapine into the back row and play Sutton at 13. 

I would expect Sutton will make the 17 for the Raiders in the early rounds. More so than Bateman being injured, Hudson Young is suspended until round six due to an eye-gouging charge from last season.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would expect Sutton will make the 17 for the Raiders in the early rounds. More so than Bateman being injured, Hudson Young is suspended until round six due to an eye-gouging charge from last season.

Yeah that's what I mean - if Young was available I'd expect him to come in for Bateman but with him out and my expectation Tapine moves to back row, it leaves 13 open to either Sutton, Horsburgh or Soliola if they start Horsburgh at prop and move Soliola over. Either way Sutton at least makes the bench. Hopefully he can prove himself as despite putting in some good showings last term I do worry he'll find himself just out of the 17 this year. Guler, Young (when he's back), Murchie Horsburgh, Lui and Havili are all fighting for those bench spots - can only be good for the Raiders overall. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah that's what I mean - if Young was available I'd expect him to come in for Bateman but with him out and my expectation Tapine moves to back row, it leaves 13 open to either Sutton, Horsburgh or Soliola if they start Horsburgh at prop and move Soliola over. Either way Sutton at least makes the bench. Hopefully he can prove himself as despite putting in some good showings last term I do worry he'll find himself just out of the 17 this year. Guler, Young (when he's back), Murchie Horsburgh, Lui and Havili are all fighting for those bench spots - can only be good for the Raiders overall. 

Sutton did well when selected last year and his back end of the year was hampered by injury.  I do see him as one of the better middles for Canberra though and I would be disappointed if he didn't make the 17 regularly this year.

I think he is better than Guler and Lui. I don't know enough about Murchie.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I'm watching the Broncos v Titans trial match through the NRL website (it's free) right now, and am happy to report Kallum Watkins looks great. He's been fast, strong and elusive with the ball. I think if the Titans can get their act together, he's set for a big year.

I agree. Only managed to catch the second half but he has looked strong with good footwork. 

Herbie Farnworth gets on the scoresheet as well.

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree. Only managed to catch the second half but he has looked strong with good footwork. 

Herbie Farnworth gets on the scoresheet as well.

He actually had a quieter second half - the ball never really found him in space. In the first half he set up a try with speed to go past Boyd, and then made a half break right on half time with some good stepping. A really good involved performance. Still some queries on his defensive positioning at times, but physically (and maybe mentally?) he looks back to his best.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

He actually had a quieter second half - the ball never really found him in space. In the first half he set up a try with speed to go past Boyd, and then made a half break right on half time with some good stepping. A really good involved performance. Still some queries on his defensive positioning at times, but physically (and maybe mentally?) he looks back to his best.

Thanks. I'll check out the highlights when they are loaded up.

3 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

That goes for a lot of Gold Coast players in fairness 

35 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Is it available to watch anywhere now it's over?

The full match replay is at the bottom of this page. You have to sign up but it is free.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/29/titans-stun-broncos-with-comeback-trial-win/

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

A few glimpses by george williams but quiet really . Not really surprising  , got took off before the hour 

Lot of pressure on Williams this year with him being swapped in for Sezer (a decision made before their Final's run last year).

Due to a disrupted pre-season I don't think we will see the best of him in the first half a dozen rounds. I just hope he doesn't get made the scapegoat if the Raiders don't start the season as well as expected. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

The problem is with the Titans is their halves are so bad they always take the wrong option. Watkins rarely gets the ball early and the only player who passes to Watkins is Cartwright. 

That's true. There were a couple of times when it was screaming for a quick spread to Watkins, to put him one on one with Boyd. Instead the Titans ball players would always just run across field until they got cornered, then turn it inside. Still, I think he's over his knee issues which is good news for England.

• Like 1

It is starting to look as though Ryan Hall will have his work cut out trying to make the Sydney Roosters starting side in 2020. This is because it looks as though the Roosters will be able to sign the current Cronulla star Josh Morris, to play in the centres as a temporary replacement for Latrell Mitchell, alongside Josh's twin brother Brett, who normally plays on the wing. This will mean that only if there is an injury to one of the Morris brothers will Ryan Hall get the call to play in the NRL team,.

Even if that does not happen, the Roosters are planning to try playing Angus Crichton in the centres, with Brett Morris as one first choice winger, along with Daniel Tupou.

Ryan Hall looks being used by the Roosters merely as cover for the injuries to others. It's a sad end to an illustrious career.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/29/robinson-still-hopeful-morris-will-end-up-with-premiers/

Edited by Manfred Mann

8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

It is starting to look as though Ryan Hall will have his work cut out trying to make the Sydney Roosters starting side in 2020. This is because it looks as though the Roosters will be able to sign the current Cronulla star Josh Morris, to play in the centres as a temporary replacement for Latrell Mitchell, alongside Josh's twin brother Brett, who normally plays on the wing. This will mean that only if there is an injury to one of the Morris brothers will Ryan Hall get the call to play in the NRL team,.

Even if that does not happen, the Roosters are planning to try playing Angus Crichton in the centres, with Brett Morris as one first choice winger, along with Daniel Tupou.

Ryan Hall looks being used by the Roosters merely as cover for the injuries to others. It's a sad end to an illustrious career.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/29/robinson-still-hopeful-morris-will-end-up-with-premiers/

Can I clarify. 

One. The Roosters signing a centre ro replace a centre they have lost is bad news for one of the wingers?

Two. If the Roosters do sign Josh Morris then they have to play Brett Morris because they are brothers?

Have I got that right?

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Can I clarify. 

One. The Roosters signing a centre ro replace a centre they have lost is bad news for one of the wingers?

Two. If the Roosters do sign Josh Morris then they have to play Brett Morris because they are brothers?

Have I got that right?

No, you don't have that right.

Brett Morris is the first choice right winger, ahead of Ryan Hall.

If the Roosters did not sign Josh Morris, they might move his twin brother Brett Morris to the centres, thereby leaving the wing spot available for Ryan Hall.

The Roosters want to sign Brett's brother Josh because they want a top quality centre, and because each brother wants to play with his twin brother before they both retire.

26 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

No, you don't have that right.

Brett Morris is the first choice right winger, ahead of Ryan Hall.

If the Roosters did not sign Josh Morris, they might move his twin brother Brett Morris to the centres, thereby leaving the wing spot available for Ryan Hall.

The Roosters want to sign Brett's brother Josh because they want a top quality centre, and because each brother wants to play with his twin brother before they both retire.

The Roosters signing a centre to replace a centre has nothing to do with the winger situation at the Roosters. Essentially it is exactly the same as last year with three quality wingers (Tupou, Morris and Hall) vying for two spots.

Last year, at various times in the season, Hall and Morris were unavailable through injuries however I am happy to concede your points if you can point me to evidence of Robinson saying...

1.Brett Morris is the first choice right winger at the club.

2. He will be obliged to play Brett on the wing if Josh is signed and playing in the centre.

Otherwise it is just you making stuff up to suit your agenda.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

josh and brett play fantasic together when in the same team, hope hall gets a gig but he doesn't do full back or  centre utility cover as the twins do so hes only gonna be a squad player if fit

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The Roosters signing a centre to replace a centre has nothing to do with the winger situation at the Roosters. Essentially it is exactly the same as last year with three quality wingers (Tupou, Morris and Hall) vying for two spots.

Last year, at various times in the season, Hall and Morris were unavailable through injuries however I am happy to concede your points if you can point me to evidence of Robinson saying...

1.Brett Morris is the first choice right winger at the club.

2. He will be obliged to play Brett on the wing if Josh is signed and playing in the centre.

Otherwise it is just you making stuff up to suit your agenda.

This is such a needlessly aggressive post. Old mate made the completely valid point that Brett Morris is a competitor with Hall for a wing spot (and I think most of us can see who is in front), but could shift to centre this year because Mitchell has left. That would potentially open up a spot for Hall on the wing. But if the Roosters sign another centre, that avenue closes, and it becomes harder for Hall to play. It's fairly logical... If you don't see how signing a centre affects their wing spots, I can only assume you're new to the sport? Clearly didn't see Morris carve up Wigan from centre in last year's WCC.

• Like 1