Brits in the NRL

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

This is such a needlessly aggressive post. Old mate made the completely valid point that Brett Morris is a competitor with Hall for a wing spot (and I think most of us can see who is in front), but could shift to centre this year because Mitchell has left. That would potentially open up a spot for Hall on the wing. But if the Roosters sign another centre, that avenue closes, and it becomes harder for Hall to play. It's fairly logical... If you don't see how signing a centre affects their wing spots, I can only assume you're new to the sport? Clearly didn't see Morris carve up Wigan from centre in last year's WCC.

Which bit is aggressive? I have read it back a few times and I can't see anything particularly aggressive so I assume you mean the last sentence. 

The problem with the post I quoted is that his assumptions were presented as facts (i.e. that Morris is ahead of Hall in the pecking order and if Josh is signed then Brett will have to play). 

I find that frustrating.  Even so, I don't think my reply was over the top.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Which bit is aggressive? I have read it back a few times and I can't see anything particularly aggressive so I assume you mean the last sentence. 

The problem with the post I quoted is that his assumptions were presented as facts (i.e. that Morris is ahead of Hall in the pecking order and if Josh is signed the Brett will have to play). 

I find that frustrating.  Even so, I don't think my reply was over the top.

Maybe aggressive wasn't the right word. Perhaps 'combative' is closer to what I meant, sorry. But yes, in particular, I meant the last sentence.

1 minute ago, ghost crayfish said:

Maybe aggressive wasn't the right word. Perhaps 'combative' is closer to what I meant, sorry. But yes, in particular, I meant the last sentence.

Fair enough.  And yes, my post was a bit too combative. Perhaps a little too energetic a defence of Hall who, despite a season top and tailed with injury, did pretty well when called on by the Roosters last year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Fair enough.  And yes, my post was a bit too combative. Perhaps a little too energetic a defence of Hall who, despite a season top and tailed with injury, did pretty well when called on by the Roosters last year.

He did. I think he was going nicely and had probably won the spot before his injury. But the way Morris finished the year, combined with Hall hurting his knee again for GB, means he is well behind now IMO. Adding another Morris to the outside backs will put him further behind (and remember, Josh can also play wing if they ever need). I hope Hall can turn it around, but I felt like in that last GB game he played we were watching a guy very close to the end. 

Edited by ghost crayfish

2 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

He did. I think he was going nicely and had probably won the spot before his injury. But the way Morris finished the year, combined with Hall hurting his knee again for GB, means he is well behind now IMO. Adding another Morris to the outside backs will put him further behind. I hope he can turn it around, but I felt like in that last GB game he played we were watching a guy very close to the end. 

Certainly Morris is the incumbent and in the box seat.

The GB game didn't do him any good, he should have had a full pre season and got back to the top of his fitness... as we have seen Watkins do.

But Hall hasn't had too many injuries in his career and he has always taken good care of himself (and over a year younger than the Morris twins). I hold out some hope we can see the best of Hall in Australia. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Certainly Morris is the incumbent and in the box seat.

The GB game didn't do him any good, he should have had a full pre season and got back to the top of his fitness... as we have seen Watkins do.

But Hall hasn't had too many injuries in his career and he has always taken good care of himself (and over a year younger than the Morris twins). I hold out some hope we can see the best of Hall in Australia. 

knowing the nrl some Fijian or samoan  freaky talent  or young aussie whizzkid will come out of nowhere and put them all in retirement by round 4 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

SO do we have an official "Brits in the NRL" for 2020 list?

Is this the full list

Raiders

John Bateman

Josh Hodgson

Elliott Whitehead

George Williams

Ryan Sutton

Roosters

Ryan Hall

Souths

Tom Burgess

Gold Coast

Kallum Watkins 

Broncos

Herbie Farnsworth 

Dragons 

James Graham 

Any more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ta Dunbar. What with Widdop, Sam B and George not there , it's a shorter list this year. 5 of the 9 at Canberra

Yes. Puts all of the over the top reactions of losing our top talent to the NRL when Thompson signed for the Bulldogs for next year into context.

When you look at the player movement from the NRL to Super League and vice versa this year, the Super League has come out net stronger by a long way.

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes. Puts all of the over the top reactions of losing our top talent to the NRL when Thompson signed for the Bulldogs for next year into context.

When you look at the player movement from the NRL to Super League and vice versa this year, the Super League has come out net stronger by a long way.

Not just this year but the last couple of years has seen a change. Obviously other Brits to have retired are Reed, Heighington and Hodkinson and we've seen Brits like of Hastings and Austin come  back home ? so the number has dwindled over in NRL

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is this the full list

Raiders

John Bateman

Josh Hodgson

Elliott Whitehead

George Williams

Ryan Sutton

Roosters

Ryan Hall

Souths

Tom Burgess

Gold Coast

Kallum Watkins 

Broncos

Herbie Farnsworth 

Dragons 

James Graham 

Any more?

Chris McQueen ... Wests ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Chris McQueen ... Wests ?

Everyone's forgetting that Tyson Frizell's a Welshman. Including Tyson himself, it would seem.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Round 1 squad announcements are a mixed bag for the Brits. 

Williams starts at #7 for the Raiders, alongside Hodgson and Whitehead. Bateman (injured) and Sutton (suspended) miss out. 

Watkins named starting centre for Holbrook's Titans. 

Props Graham and Thomas Burgess start for Dragons and Rabbitohs respectively. 

Farnworth makes Broncos extended match day squad whilst at Roosters Ryan Hall misses out on even that. 

29 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Round 1 squad announcements are a mixed bag for the Brits. 

Williams starts at #7 for the Raiders, alongside Hodgson and Whitehead. Bateman (injured) and Sutton (suspended) miss out. 

Watkins named starting centre for Holbrook's Titans. 

Props Graham and Thomas Burgess start for Dragons and Rabbitohs respectively. 

Farnworth makes Broncos extended match day squad whilst at Roosters Ryan Hall misses out on even that. 

Whilst everything points to J Morris joining from the Sharks and/or Crichton starting at centre with B Morris on the wing, to me Hall would still make the extended squad if he was fully fit. His scheduled return was trials week 2 but he didn't play any trials so would be surprised to see him get a run out for North Sydney. 

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Whilst everything points to J Morris joining from the Sharks and/or Crichton starting at centre with B Morris on the wing, to me Hall would still make the extended squad if he was fully fit. His scheduled return was trials week 2 but he didn't play any trials so would be surprised to see him get a run out for North Sydney. 

I like Ryan Hall but I think he is going to struggle to make the grade at the Roosters.

He was always a big Winger that scored more tries in the oppositions side of the field rather than long range tries.

He is getting towards the end of his career and looks to have filled out a little, what pace he had is diminishing.

I am not sure why the Roosters signed him at his age to be honest.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 minutes ago, Allora said:

Perhaps as cover for the aging Brett Morris who was older than Hall was when he signed for the Roosters?

12 minutes ago, Allora said:

I like Ryan Hall but I think he is going to struggle to make the grade at the Roosters.

He was always a big Winger that scored more tries in the oppositions side of the field rather than long range tries.

He is getting towards the end of his career and looks to have filled out a little, what pace he had is diminishing.

Yeah you raise an interesting point which i've discussed with Ryan in the past - could he move into the back row? I'm not saying at the Chucks necessarily as they obviously have an abundance of talent there too, but to prolong his career it may be an option back in SL. That said, i'm confident given a run of games the tries would come and he's more than capable of holding that spot - just a case of whether he's given the chance now that J Mozzle is all but certainly coming. 

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Perhaps as cover for the aging Brett Morris who was older than Hall was when he signed for the Roosters?

Both Morris boys have had plenty of full length of the field speed over their careers.

Maybe but Hall is at least 10 Kg heavier than Morris and looks to be filling out in a hurry.

The bigger you are the slower you get is the norm.

Edited by Allora

8 minutes ago, Allora said:

Maybe but Hall is at least 10 Kg heavier than Morris and looks to be filling out in a hurry.

The bigger you are the slower you get is the norm.

That could well be so.

However with size and strength comes over contributions to the team.

Remember, on average Ryan Hall made the 2nd most metres per game for the Roosters last (after James Tedesco) and on average ranked 7th on tackle busts per game.

I will wait to see Hall play this year before I write him off as a has been. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dunbar said:

That could well be so.

However with size and strength comes over contributions to the team.

Remember, on average Ryan Hall made the 2nd most metres per game for the Roosters last (after James Tedesco) and on average ranked 7th on tackle busts per game.

I will wait to see Hall play this year before I write him off as a has been. 

Ok then.

We have done this conversation before.

I watched all of Halls games at the Roosters and did not see how he made those Stats, he looked lacklustre and short of confidence IMO.

I predict this year will be like Sam Tomkins second year at the Warriors, injury riddled.

We shall see.

• Confused 1