Brits in the NRL

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Farnworth is 20 now and while that is by no means old it is an age where he will definitely be wanting to play regular first grade. I hope he can do this with the Broncos but they some talent in the backline.

I hop he gets to play regular NRL games over the next few years and developed into the talent he looks to be.

Main thing is to keep him in Rugby League which seems likely, he has spent a lot of time and energy on fulfilling his Rugby League dream, I wouldn't have thought he would jump ship at this stage.

One of the few negatives of the nrl. If he stayed in England he potentially would of made his super league debut at 17 and had 50 or so first grade games under his belt already.

Broncos at full strength probably means another year in the qld cup. Which is still great for development.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the status with Ryan Sutton is, he hasn't made the bench or reserves for the Raiders this week and that is with Young unavailable through suspension?

No mention of any injury for Sutton in the NRL casualty list.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Does anyone know what the status with Ryan Sutton is, he hasn't made the bench or reserves for the Raiders this week and that is with Young unavailable through suspension?

No mention of any injury for Sutton in the NRL casualty list.

Was thinking the same , rather intriguing 

I'm sure I read something recently that said Herbie had clocked one of the fastest times in sprint tests. Quicker than Josh Addo-Carr.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Where do these journos get their info from?? Or do they just make stuff up? Family emigrated to Australia!!  His family are still living in Barrowford. Herbie has done this off his own back since the age of 14. Back and forth until he got his break. Good luck to the lad, he deserves everything he’s worked hard for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I'm sure I read something recently that said Herbie had clocked one of the fastest times in sprint tests. Quicker than Josh Addo-Carr.

Really?

I would like to see that article.

The NRL test players at different distances with 30-40 metres considered as important or more important than 100.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

31 minutes ago, Allora said:

Really?

I would like to see that article.

The NRL test players at different distances with 30-40 metres considered as important or more important than 100.

its probably on this thread if you read back.

• Thanks 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Tom Burgess was up against Waerea-Hargreaves today and I thought he went well.  In a beaten side he topped Waerea-Hargreaves in tackles, metres made, post contact metres and tackle busts.  And bagged a try.  I also thought he came off best when the two came head to head and laid on a couple of decent hits.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Tom Burgess was up against Waerea-Hargreaves today and I thought he went well.  In a beaten side he topped Waerea-Hargreaves in tackles, metres made, post contact metres and tackle busts.  And bagged a try.  I also thought he came off best when the two came head to head and laid on a couple of decent hits.

Yeah i thought Tom went well today, though still think there's more to come from him. Frustratingly he does seem to have a habit to put on a good hit, but fall off the tackle. Happened on a few occasions today, and not always on big men. 

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

Yeah i thought Tom went well today, though still think there's more to come from him. Frustratingly he does seem to have a habit to put on a good hit, but fall off the tackle. Happened on a few occasions today, and not always on big men. 

Yes, I agree. He makes far too many 'arms' tackles. Thought he put more decent shots in today than I have seen from him before. More shoulder contact.

Here's how I would rank the Brits in the NRL this week.

1. George Williams. Great game for the Raiders, setting up two tries in a dominant win over the Storm.

=2. Josh Hodgson.  His usual scheming self, bossed the Raiders pack around the park as they got over Melbourne. 

=2. Tom Burgess  In a beaten Souths team, he topped the running meters for forwards on the pitch, got the better of Waerea-Hargreaves in their personal duel and bagged a try.

4. Elliot Whitehead.  Solid as usual on the Raiders edge. He is that good you just expect him to perform every week.

5. Herbie Farnworth.  In a cameo performance he put his hand up to run the ball and a nice rib tickler hit to boot.

6. James Graham.  Only 28 minutes for St George. No errors but didn't bend the Warriors line.

Not selected. John Bateman (injury), Ryan Hall & Ryan Sutton.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Here's how I would rank the Brits in the NRL this week.

1. George Williams. Great game for the Raiders, setting up two tries in a dominant win over the Storm.

=2. Josh Hodgson.  His usual scheming self, bossed the Raiders pack around the park as they got over Melbourne. 

=2. Tom Burgess  In a beaten Souths team, he topped the running meters for forwards on the pitch, got the better of Waerea-Hargreaves in their personal duel and bagged a try.

4. Elliot Whitehead.  Solid as usual on the Raiders edge. He is that good you just expect him to perform every week.

5. Herbie Farnworth.  In a cameo performance he put his hand up to run the ball and a nice rib tickler hit to boot.

6. James Graham.  Only 28 minutes for St George. No errors but didn't bend the Warriors line.

Not selected. John Bateman (injury), Ryan Hall & Ryan Sutton.

I'd agree with that assessment. Williams was outstanding, and Hodgson also very good. I still find Hodgson a little frustrating though, because while he does some great things every week, he overplays his hand too often. If there's nothing on he just needs to stay calm and provide good quick service, but too often he'll try something too flashy. Much like Robbie Farah before him, that's the difference between Hodgson and Cameron Smith.

On 31/05/2020 at 05:53, ghost crayfish said:

I'd agree with that assessment. Williams was outstanding, and Hodgson also very good. I still find Hodgson a little frustrating though, because while he does some great things every week, he overplays his hand too often. If there's nothing on he just needs to stay calm and provide good quick service, but too often he'll try something too flashy. Much like Robbie Farah before him, that's the difference between Hodgson and Cameron Smith.

Aye.

Enjoying Williams's defensive aggression more than anything. With the ball, he does what he needs to do and doesnt try too much which is nice. Be really interesting to see how he develops, see if he becomes more dominant at 1st receiver rather than play predominantly right side.

Tom B was very good an all, he'll need to be as that Souths pack is comparatively soft. They could struggle this year.

What is Farnworth's best position? Don't Brisbane also have the really good young Tongan waiting to play 1? Maybe he could end up replacing Boyd; a game in the centres this week would do him well then.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Possible British representation in the NRL in 2021, by position:

Ryan Hall, Oliver Gildart, Herbie Farnworth,

George Williams,

Ryan Sutton,

Elliot Whitehead, John Bateman,

Tom Burgess, Josh Hodgson, Luke Thompson

Interchange: James Graham

Edited by Manfred Mann

On 30/05/2020 at 22:53, ghost crayfish said:

Sterlo has Hodgson as the best now . He turned over Smith comfortably , again and one looks suited to the new regs and one doesn’t . I’m marking smith down as well for a ###### beard 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’ll be shocked if Graham is playing next year . He’s playing on fumes now

If James Graham does retire at the end of this season, I would hope that he could land a commentary contract with Fox League, where is already a regular alongside Benji Marshall on NRL 360 every Tuesday night. Retired player Sam Burgess is already on the Fox League payroll, but James Graham is at least 25 IQ points smarter than Sam, and also has a good sense of humor.

Just now, Manfred Mann said:

If James Graham does retire at the end of this season, I would hope that he could land a commentary contract with Fox League, where is already a regular alongside Benji Marshall on NRL 360 every Tuesday night. Retired player Sam Burgess is already on the Fox League payroll, but James Graham is at least 25 IQ points smarter than Sam, and also has a good sense of humor.

I’d agree , he’s got good insight on the game and can express it