Brits in the NRL

Most eye catching for me in the line ups  is the slap in the chops for Norman and Hunt . Norman shifted out the back and Hunt shifted out of first receiver for young Adam Clune to make his debut . Although non of them are British ...

Edited by DavidM

42 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Has Aekins shown an interest in representing Wales? What's Welsh roots does he have?

Has been named in the Wales RL train on squad for Euro Championship and World Cup, so I would have thought that conversations have been had. Of Maori/Welsh descent.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Pretty much same again for the Brits in the NRL this week.

Williams, Hodgson and Whitehead to start for the Raiders but no Bateman yet as he is forecast to return in round 4.  Sutton also not in the 17 or reserves but I still cannot find any definitive news on whether this is injury related or not.

Graham to start at 13 for St George and Tom Burgess in the front row for Souths.

And Herbie Farnworth gets a starting opportunity on the wing for the Broncs.

Ryan Hall not in the 17 but named in the reserves for the Roosters.

Interesting that Graham is starting, I thought he might have been injured in the last game as he didn't play many minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Interesting that Graham is starting, I thought he might have been injured in the last game as he didn't play many minutes

Him playing at 13 is very strange , especially after signing Trent Merrin

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Most eye catching for me in the line ups  is the slap in the chops for Norman and Hunt . Norman shifted out the back and Hunt shifted out of first receiver for young Adam Clune to make his debut . Although non of them are British ...

That does not surprise me one bit.  Norman seemed to have other things on his mind.  

Strength in depth shows they must be confident enough to do it.  Not many clubs here could make those kind of decisions.

19 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

All this talk of Williams, and how GOOD he was, he wasnt even the best half back for Canberra. Big wow he's English n had a half decent game. 

Wighton is class and had another good game but Williams was clearly the better performer in that match

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Has Aekins shown an interest in representing Wales? What's Welsh roots does he have?

Welsh grandparents, he’s visited Wales a few times when younger I believe and is in the elite training squad*

*Usually that means little but I know Wales RL have asked eligible players to sign-in with their intention to play. Two rather ‘big name’ (heritage) players haven’t, Aekins has. There’s some hope he can play there then 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Wighton is class and had another good game but Williams was clearly the better performer in that match

I thought Wighton had a quiet game actually. Other than Williams, Hodgson and Croker were standouts. Those 2 really don’t get the credit they deserve on these shores

Gold Coast were poor again at the weekend, they certainly could’ve done with the Watkins from the first couple of rounds.
I don’t know how some of their players like Peats keep getting games. Peachey looks a shadow of his former self 

23 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Or a 7. Missing Cleary is huge for Penrith.

Jerome Luai had a poor game, the worst i've seen him and i've always been impressed with him. Burton looked good though. I just thought Penrith ran out of steam a bit, when Fisher Harris went off, they lost the forward battle.

There appear quite a few ordinary teams out there though - I don't see either of Newcastle, Penrith, GC, Canterbury getting near the play offs. It wouldn't surprise me if Souths miss out too, unless Mitchell can sort himself out

28 minutes ago, 7723 said:

Bateman’s now out indefinitely as he needs another shoulder operation.

Massive news for Bateman to have to have another operation.

Story on NRL.com https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/03/bitter-blow-for-green-machine-bateman-out-indefinitely/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

James Graham admitted he’s lucky to be starting on Monday after his performance against the NZ Warriors.

How long before we say he’s done?

Could be his last season, he was certainly less effective in 2019...........will Saints try and bring him back? Think it would be a mistake

Cameron Smith also looks past his best these days, and he has to shoulder even more responsibility without the star key pivots he used to have around him

Edited by DoubleD

14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Could be his last season, he was certainly less effective in 2019...........will Saints try and bring him back? Think it would be a mistake

Cameron Smith also looks past his best these days, and he has to shoulder even more responsibility without the star key pivots he used to have around him

Could be the dawning of a new type of game and era.  With the Melbourne pack in front of you and the wrestling control they’ve had, Smith could walk to each PTB.  Different now.

No doubt a very good player, but without a dominant pack, I feel there are a few that have been better.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

James Graham admitted he’s lucky to be starting on Monday after his performance against the NZ Warriors.

How long before we say he’s done?

James Graham is done. He was done last season, hes basically just surviving now and getting through games. I can't see him playing in the NRL next season. I'm sure he adds plenty to the squad and helps with the culture etc but expect him in SL next season and to not be very good there either. 

Had a great career, isnt the biggest middle player but hasnt missed many games. No surprise he's winding down. I'd like to see him retire this year and get the send off he deserves for a fantastic career.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

No authority provided in this article to back up the proposition, but alleges there's a rumour the Panthers are in talks with Liam Watts for next season and beyond. Concedes he's still under contract in the article but I suppose considering the Covid-19 impact on finances clubs may be more lenient in letting players walk if they're compensated correctly - First i've seen of it however so i'm not sure if I would put too much stock in it just yet. https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/06/masked-panther-panthers-eye-uk-prop/

James Tedesco ruled out of the game tonight v the broncos due to a temperature. Ryan Hall is the only back in the remaining 19-man squad so will likely start on the wing with Morris or Manu to move to fullback.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

How did Ryan Hall go? Thought he might have scored when I saw the score!

He was used to run the ball up out of his own half mainly.

Extra Forward.

Had a Captains challenge that was not given, a few other things.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

10 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

How did Ryan Hall go? Thought he might have scored when I saw the score!

Didn't get a chance unfortunately... as far as I recall he only recieved one pass on the wing and despite beating a couple of defenders it was never a try scoring opportunity. 

As always, he work hard bringing the ball away from his line... 17 carries and 184 metres and 5 tackles breaks (3rd highest for the Roosters).

Overall a bit frustrating that he didn't get a chance to get over the line.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris