Brits in the NRL

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Didn't get a chance unfortunately... as far as I recall he only recieved one pass on the wing and despite beating a couple of defenders it was never a try scoring opportunity. 

As always, he work hard bringing the ball away from his line... 17 carries and 184 metres and 5 tackles breaks (3rd highest for the Roosters).

Overall a bit frustrating that he didn't get a chance to get over the line.

Good Stats.

?

Rumours are circulating he will be back in SL or retired after this season when his contract expires.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

14 minutes ago, Allora said:

Good Stats.

?

Rumours are circulating he will be back in SL or retired after this season when his contract expires.

Pretty good stats I guess.

When you are a winger and not presented a try scoring opportunity then all you can do is put your hand up and work hard for the team. Which he did.

Rumours of a Rugby player who will be 33 in November retiring, what a scoop... have you told the editors to hold the back pages?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Find it very strange that people are completely misunderstanding a clear tactic to attack the opposite side of the pitch that yielded points. 

In what way are we misunderstanding? I know the Roosters favour the left side attack but all we are saying is it is a pity for Hall and his opportunity to score that he is on the right wing.

If there was no English player on the right wing for the Roosters, it wouldn't even be a topic of conversation on here.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hall was solid and that's all he needed to be - took some good early set carries and helped lay the platform with quick play the balls for 3 tries from memory. If he gets 10 games under his belt this season and comes away from Oz with a handful of tries and no horror shows then I think on a personal level he'll be happy. 

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Pretty good stats I guess.

When you are a winger and not presented a try scoring opportunity then all you can do is put your hand up and work hard for the team. Which he did.

Rumours of a Rugby player who will be 33 in November retiring, what a scoop... have you told the editors to hold the back pages?

No need to be snarky Dunbar.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

No need to be snarky Dunbar.

Ok, fair enough. I guess it's because we have had our disagreements on Hall in the past and I got a bit defensive. 

• Thanks 1

Thought Hall looked very fit, and much more confident than last season. His early hit ups were very strong, and his one attacking run showed the sort of pace and power he had before his knee injuries. It's a shame he's competing with two other test wingers for a spot - I'd love to have him at the Broncos! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Thought the other 2 Brits for the Roosters, the Morris twins were outstanding again, particularly Josh. Such an underrated pair. Really the Roosters have had an upgrade with Josh over Latrell 

3 Brits. Doesn't Victor Radley have English parentage?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is Australian.

The way its going Australia will just field 15 teams in the next World Cup through Parents or Grandparents.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

He is Australian.

The way its going Australia will just field 15 teams in the next World Cup through Parents or Grandparents.

I think it is up to him to decide that.

On 04/06/2020 at 14:18, Dunbar said:

In what way are we misunderstanding? I know the Roosters favour the left side attack but all we are saying is it is a pity for Hall and his opportunity to score that he is on the right wing.

If there was no English player on the right wing for the Roosters, it wouldn't even be a topic of conversation on here.

Joey Manu's a good runner, but he looks like he'd have trouble passing wind after Christmas Dinner. 

People called Romans they go the house

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Radley’s Dad is definitely English. My Dad knows a family friend of the Radley’s. There’s no way he’ll play for England, he has a long career of Origin to play. 

And that in itself a a travesty, the international game should be a street (never too many) ahead of origin. 

26 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

And that in itself a a travesty, the international game should be a street (never too many) ahead of origin. 

I don't think Radley is specifically choosing origin over England. I just imagine that as a born and bred New South Welshman and Australian he would prefer to go down that route and try to make those respective sides.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think it is up to him to decide that.

If he decides he is English it must really motivate the English born up and coming players to want have a go at our Sport.

They get a chance to play alongside a bunch of Aussies if they get selected in a Test team.

I don’t care what other sports do, it makes our game a joke.

The Morris boys are playing better than most English backs, may as well approach them for the World Cup as

Roosters enforcer Victor Radley says he has no aspirations to represent England at any point in the future, pledging his full commitment to NSW and Australia.

Edited by Allora

5 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

What because someone born in Australia doesn’t consider himself English.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

If he decides he is English it must really motivate the English born up and coming players to want have a go at our Sport.

They get a chance to play alongside a bunch of Aussies if they get selected in a Test team.

I don’t care what other sports do, it makes our game a joke.

The Morris boys are playing better than most English backs, may as well approach them for the World Cup as well.

I disagree. 

I think if someone has parents of different nationalities then it is entirely reasonable for them to feel equal affinity to both nations.

I have said before on these boards... my wife is Italian and my daughter was born in this country (England) and has lived here all her life but I would expect her to grow up feeling equally British and Italian as she is very connected to her Italian heritage.  If she is talented enough to play international sport, it is entirely reasonable and her choice to decide which nation she represents. 

Some examples.

Does Sam Burgess son play for Australia as he was born there and has an Australian mother?

What about George Burgess's son.  He was  born in Australia and has an Australian mother but will grow up in England for at least a few years.

Does the fact that their fathers represented England and Radley's didn't change things?

As I say. It's not our choice, it is theirs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

No. Because to many stakeholders in Australia, the main hub of the sport, Origin means a great deal more than a national jersey.

Why can it not be as simple as he’s was born in Australia and considers himself Australian?
Its a sad indictment on the English game that they have to scour Australia or NZ for Heritage players.

Don't bother mentioning Australia picking immigrants in the past.

There have been about three players Australia have chosen that were mistakes and they have changed the selection process to prevent that ever happening again after the Semi debacle.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I disagree. 

I think if someone has parents of different nationalities then it is entirely reasonable for them to feel equal affinity to both nations.

I have said before on these boards... my wife is Italian and my daughter was born in this country (England) and has lived here all her life but I would expect her to grow up feeling equally British and Italian as she is very connected to her Italian heritage.  If she is talented enough to play international sport, it is entirely reasonable and her choice to decide which nation she represents. 

Some examples.

Does Sam Burgess son play for Australia as he was born there and has an Australian mother?

What about George Burgess's son.  He was  born in Australia and has an Australian mother but will grow up in England for at least a few years.

Does the fact that their fathers represented England and Radley's didn't change things?

As I say. It's not our choice, it is theirs.

And he has already made it.

He is in line to be selected for Australia,.

Its no guarantee he will even get selected for NSW, he is one player amongst many talented players.