Brits in the NRL

1 minute ago, Allora said:

And he has already made it.

He is in line to be selected for Australia,.

Its no guarantee he will even get selected for NSW, he is one player amongst many talented players.

That's cool. If he wants to represent Australia then that's his choice. The choice is the point I am making... not us just stating that he must play for Australia. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That's cool. If he wants to represent Australia then that's his choice. The choice is the point I am making... not us just stating that he must play for Australia. 

He can play for who ever he wants.

Its sad that England as a “Tier one Nation” has to rummage through ancestors to put a team on the field to try and compete at Test level.

Do you think a Team with the Morris boys, Hastings, Radley, Austin would appeal to English fans or be appreciated by Australian fans.

I did not comment on your Burgess points because my thoughts on their situations could be taken the wrong way.

I appreciate your situation with your Wife and Children.

I was born in England but lived most of my life in Australia.

I have always thought of myself as Australian

My kids would only ever represent Australia the Country that has provided for us.

My Wife has a Scottish ancestory  but she only thinks of herself as Australian.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Its sad that England as a “Tier one Nation” has to rummage through ancestors to put a team on the field to try and compete at Test level.

Do you think a Team with the Morris boys, Hastings, Radley, Austin would appeal to English fans or be appreciated by Australian fans.

I did not comment on your Burgess points because my thoughts on their situations could be taken the wrong way.

I appreciate your situation with your Wife and Children.

I was born in England but lived most of my life in Australia.

I have always thought of myself as Australian

My kids would only ever represent Australia the Country that has provided for us.

My Wife has a Scottish ancestory  but she only thinks of herself as Australian.

We are all different and have diverse outlooks, I am very black and white, if you feel you need to represent a Nation other than where you where born then live in that Nation unless you have emigrated  to another Country .

I will get banned as a Racist the way things are going in the World.

I am not disagreeing with your views, they not dissimilar to mine. I have an Irish national grandparent but I don't have any affinity with Ireland so I would not represent them internationally.

If Radley has the strongest affinity with Australia then great and it is certainly logical. 

All I am saying is that these things are complex and identity is a very personal thing. I don't like international mercenaries but they are difficult to prove.

The only thing i disagree with in your post is that things are not black and white and you should let your kids decide what they want to do.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am not disagreeing with your views, they not dissimilar to mine. I have an Irish national grandparent but I don't have any affinity with Ireland so I would not represent them internationally.

If Radley has the strongest affinity with Australia then great and it is certainly logical. 

All I am saying is that these things are complex and identity is a very personal thing. I don't like international mercenaries but they are difficult to prove.

The only thing i disagree with in your post is that things are not black and white and you should let your kids decide what they want to do.

All good.

My kids are Aussies and proud of it, they have no thoughts about being English by heritage.

The point I would make is this.

Every player born in Australia that has made themselves available for English selection through heritage or residency  have one common theme.
They did not think they would be good enough to be selected for an AustraliaIan Test team.

They chose England to get a Test cap because it was there fall back team.

That can not be a great or proud outcome for either party.

Edited by Allora

My thoughts would be to scrap the grandparent(s) & residency rules and stick strictly to where you were born or parent(s) qualification.

Victor Radley is a superb player and has made his choice, good luck to him!

Ive also stated my opinion on national teams a few times in the past.

As far as I’m concerned it’s our best against the best of of nations and that includes everyone from the Manager to the bloke who rolls the socks into pairs with a stick of Wriggleys chewing gum.

If we prove to be not good enough then we know we need to improve and if we win the next World Cup then it’s a complete victory for the nation and not diluted or shared with another nation who provided elements of our team for us.

Simple with credibility, not contrived & shallow!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

Going to the Roosters will be a great move for him 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

it would be great move for anybody- that team is a well oiled machine at the min, can only see storm stopping them from a 3 in a row premierships

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 06/06/2020 at 14:21, Allora said:

Australia has chosen an awful lot more overseas born players than England.

• Haha 1

People called Romans they go the house

26 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Farnworth has done absolutely nothing this year. Granted, he’s in a poor side and isolated on the edge. 

I agree with your second sentence. With all due respect, I’ll go with Trent Robinson’s and Shaun Wane’s opinion of him rather than yours.

Still haven't managed to catch up with the St George game but I understand James Graham had his best game for a while.

Other than that, Tom Burgess was very strong this week and I though Ryan Sutton looked in very good shape for the Raiders... I would expect him to cement a place in the 17 and start to push for a starting spot.

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

Going to the Roosters would be the biggest mistake of his NRL career. They'd chew him up and spit him out as soon as the next best thing comes along.

If he truly wants out of the Broncos and he's smart then he'd try to get in with a team like the Knights, up and coming team, good culture, and don't have a brutal, dodgy, corporate attitude like the Roosters.

The Knights and other teams like them, would be patient with him and nurture his game as he builds into a better player, the Roosters would be looking to replace him with the next best player that comes cheaper as soon as they sign him.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Still haven't managed to catch up with the St George game but I understand James Graham had his best game for a while.

Other than that, Tom Burgess was very strong this week and I though Ryan Sutton looked in very good shape for the Raiders... I would expect him to cement a place in the 17 and start to push for a starting spot.

I wouldn't.

Ricky will keep cycling him and the others like Guler, Lui, and Horsburgh through giving them game time and keeping them match fit, but he won't really commit to one of them really cementing a starting spot until Soliola retires or some of the other guys move on.

The pack's more flexible that way, and it's easier to replace guys that are injured or suspended.

2 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

I wouldn't.

Ricky will keep cycling him and the others like Guler, Lui, and Horsburgh through giving them game time and keeping them match fit, but he won't really commit to one of them really cementing a starting spot until Soliola retires or some of the other guys move on.

The pack's more flexible that way, and it's easier to replace guys that are injured or suspended.

Do you see this player recycling as a deliberate policy from Stuart then as it seems to be unique in the NRL as the other coaches look to select their best 17 available and provide some consistency of selection?

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Do you see this player recycling as a deliberate policy from Stuart then as it seems to be unique in the NRL as the other coaches look to select their best 17 available and provide some consistency of selection?

If the other teams had the depth in a position like the Raiders do in the front row then they’d do it as well.

They might not realise it now, but at the point that those guys are in their careers it’s a win-win for them as well. Even if they don’t cement at spot at the Raiders they’ll be a known quantity, with a good record, and lots of NRL experience that they probably wouldn’t have got under other circumstances.

In other words, even if they don’t land a permanent spot at the Raiders they are being set up to land a spot somewhere else.

On 05/06/2020 at 22:47, Allora said:

Why can it not be as simple as he’s was born in Australia and considers himself Australian?
Its a sad indictment on the English game that they have to scour Australia or NZ for Heritage players.

Don't bother mentioning Australia picking immigrants in the past.

There have been about three players Australia have chosen that were mistakes and they have changed the selection process to prevent that ever happening again after the Semi debacle.

Not bad mistakes, Ian Roberts a mistake ? or Australian team of the century  representative Bobby Fulton

• Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

Not bad mistakes, Ian Roberts a mistake ? or Australian team of the century  representative Bobby Fulton

I was not talking about emigrants that moved to Australia as 2 and 4 year olds.

They changed the rules to prevent the fiasco that was the selection of Semi Radrada.

According to this article, James Graham could be making an imminent return to Super League. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/18/james-graham-in-discussions-to-return-to-super-league/

6 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

If the other teams had the depth in a position like the Raiders do in the front row then they’d do it as well.

They might not realise it now, but at the point that those guys are in their careers it’s a win-win for them as well. Even if they don’t cement at spot at the Raiders they’ll be a known quantity, with a good record, and lots of NRL experience that they probably wouldn’t have got under other circumstances.

In other words, even if they don’t land a permanent spot at the Raiders they are being set up to land a spot somewhere else.

Not only that, but it keeps them fitter and fresher if they aren't starting every weekend. Should be good for their career longevity, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Farnworth looks good in spells, but he looks exactly what he is. A rookie.

Doesnt help that hes wing one minute, 1 for spells and now centre. Outside that porous middle and with another rookie outside him.

If i wa Brisbane, id be getting Maloney and Graham over for rest of the season..

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas