Brits in the NRL

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I cant wait till Allora gets to read a post where he is quoted and England is described as 'you guys'.

(To be fair it was Harry's quote initially but it will be fun!)

You`re welcome.

59 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Luke Thompson gets his first game in the NRL this week, starting at 13 for the Bulldogs.

And Hall gets a start on the wing for the Roosters with Tupou injured.

I'm not a big fan of Thompson at 13, so it will be interesting to see how he goes and how he's instructed to play. Sometimes when he's played 13, I've seen him try to be a ball player too much and not run hard and fast at the line, like he does best

Just now, DoubleD said:

I'm not a big fan of Thompson at 13, so it will be interesting to see how he goes and how he's instructed to play. Sometimes when he's played 13, I've seen him try to be a ball player too much and not run hard and fast at the line, like he does best

Yes, I hope he keeps it simple and just adds the dynamic running game which is the by far the best part of his game.

I wondered if he would get the 13 jersey for the Bulldogs as he is in the mould of the slightly smaller, more mobile middle forward but we can't tell from this selection as it has been pretty much dictated by the injury to Adam Elliott.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I hope he keeps it simple and just adds the dynamic running game which is the by far the best part of his game.

I wondered if he would get the 13 jersey for the Bulldogs as he is in the mould of the slightly smaller, more mobile middle forward but we can't tell from this selection as it has been pretty much dictated by the injury to Adam Elliott.

They're not blessed for good props, and Elliott is decent and more natural loose forward so hopefully it's just dictated by injury. It might take Thompson a few weeks to get up and running, but i'd be amazed if he doesn't tear it up in NRL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They're not blessed for good props, and Elliott is decent and more natural loose forward so hopefully it's just dictated by injury. It might take Thompson a few weeks to get up and running, but i'd be amazed if he doesn't tear it up in NRL

Will be interesting to see which of the props Thompson comes in for if he starts in the front row.  I like Tolman but he is a textbook example of a hard working, no frills prop while Napa is hugely overrated for me and is living off the reputation of a few decent hits about 5 years ago.

Thompson is many times better than both.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

42 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I really like the look of this kid, when he fills out he will be a real handful, gets involved a lot as well which is a good sign and appears to be fairly evasive which is essential if he is going to be top drawer,  wouldn`t be in the Broncos system if they didn`t see something in him either.

He seems t have all the attributes. The only negative is his haircut.

• Haha 1

It's difficult to judge Farnworth at the moment as he is playing in a side with no confidence and a questionable attitude but I am not totally sold on him.

I have been looking forward to seeing him play as I have read a lot about him over that few years and the development journey he has been on (which is great credit to him).

He definitely works hard and has shown a few decent touches in the air and kick chase etc. but I haven't seen him beat a man yet with the ball in his hands.

If he wasn't a Brit, I am not sure I would have taken much notice of him to be fair and he hasn't shown the potential of a Bradman Best or Zac Lomax yet.  As I say, the team he is playing in doesn't help though.

11 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

He seems t have all the attributes. The only negative is his haircut.

Forgot to mention when Robinson was in England for WCC , he went and visited Farnsworth`s family about him coming to the Roosters, apparently there were several clubs after him plus the bloody ru.

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's difficult to judge Farnworth at the moment as he is playing in a side with no confidence and a questionable attitude but I am not totally sold on him.

I have been looking forward to seeing him play as I have read a lot about him over that few years and the development journey he has been on (which is great credit to him).

He definitely works hard and has shown a few decent touches in the air and kick chase etc. but I haven't seen him beat a man yet with the ball in his hands.

If he wasn't a Brit, I am not sure I would have taken much notice of him to be fair and he hasn't shown the potential of a Bradman Best or Zac Lomax yet.  As I say, the team he is playing in doesn't help though.

Lomax is a better comparison as they are of a similar build and both playing under coaches facing pressure and stuttering half/hooker combinations.

So far Lomax has shown a lot more flashes of individual quality than Farnworth who has never really been put in space by his halves.

Bradman Best looks excellent but is a very different type of player, more a power centre with some footwork close to the line like a Greg Inglis. He also has the advantage of being in a team up on confidence and with Ponga and Pearce playing well.

16 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Farnworth has only got clean ball once, in all his games, as far as I can recall. He actually skipped outside his man and almost created a try. In a badly beaten side against Newcastle I thought he matched Bradman Best. 

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on him.  You are right, he has stood up pretty well in a poor side and none of the Broncos failings in recent weeks can be put down to him.

I hope he gets a chance to shine if the Broncos improve. 

As he is only contracted to the end of this year you would imagine he is looking at other options given the state of the Broncos.

• Like 1

Thompson will hopefully just do what Thompson does . Great leg speed , hit the line hard and be a right handful to get a grip on . I’ve zero worries for him . I think he’s up there with the very best and I’m excited to see how he develops down there . 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on him.  You are right, he has stood up pretty well in a poor side and none of the Broncos failings in recent weeks can be put down to him.

I hope he gets a chance to shine if the Broncos improve. 

As he is only contracted to the end of this year you would imagine he is looking at other options given the state of the Broncos.

I think he'll shift over to the left side soon enough and hopefully outside Fifita, he'll get a few more chances to find space. He looks to me like he's a talent, but very hard to show it in this woeful Brisbane team right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think he'll shift over to the left side soon enough and hopefully outside Fifita, he'll get a few more chances to find space. He looks to me like he's a talent, but very hard to show it in this woeful Brisbane team right now.

We'll see where he stands this week or maybe next as Staggs is named in the 21. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped to the bench or reserves and they go with Staggs & Boyd in the centres. Broncos fans have been pretty vocal about a time for change and Boyd & Milford in particular deserving to be dropped, whether Seibold will have the guts to do it is another matter.

If it’s a choice then The Broncos should perservere and invest in Farnworth and cut Boyd lose . He’s been playing on fumes and reputation for quite a while . They are lauded for their great young talent , pick them and stick with them throughout the team  . They’ve nothing to lose this year 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 4

Staggs must be in the team if available, he is quality. But I would switch out Boyd for Farnworth in a heartbeat. It's the experienced players letting the Broncos down and he is one of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Staggs is an up and coming superstar , he’s got the lot . He could make Fittler’s squad this year and he’s a Kangaroo centre in waiting .... if he wants to be 

Hopefully he sticks with Tonga. He was outstanding in their win over Australia last year and if they all declare for Tonga again for the World Cup they are genuine contenders at least as much as England and New Zealand.

• 2 weeks later...

John Bateman has been named in the reserves for Canberra for this week's game and could yet be promoted to the game day 17. 

I thought Tom Burgess was really strong again for the Rabittohs today.  He has definitely stepped up his game this year. 

• Like 3

On 21/07/2020 at 13:21, Dunbar said:

John Bateman has been named in the reserves for Canberra for this week's game and could yet be promoted to the game day 17. 

The way things are going, he'll have to practise some fullback skills, 'cause the Raiders are going through them like Spinal Tap's drummers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Big week for the Brits in the NRL this week.

John Bateman returns to the second row for the Raiders and partners Elliott Whitehead.  George Williams is at 7 and Ryan Sutton on the bench.

Luke Thompson continues at 13 for the Bulldogs.

Tom Burgess at 10 for the Rabbitohs.

Farnworth plays in the centre for the Broncos.

Ryan Hall back onto the wing for the Roosters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Big week for the Brits in the NRL this week.

John Bateman returns to the second row for the Raiders and partners Elliott Whitehead.  George Williams is at 7 and Ryan Sutton on the bench.

Luke Thompson continues at 13 for the Bulldogs.

Tom Burgess at 10 for the Rabbitohs.

Farnworth plays in the centre for the Broncos.

Ryan Hall back onto the wing for the Roosters.

Half an England team right there. Not Ryan Hall obvs. He's s**t 😉

• Haha 1