Brits in the NRL

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Big Tom has looked superb recently 

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Without Sam, George and Sutton he's seems to have taken on the role of pack leader. He's thriving!

Agree. He has also added a bit more aggression into his running and a bit of sting in defence as well 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Big week for the Brits in the NRL this week.

John Bateman returns to the second row for the Raiders and partners Elliott Whitehead.  George Williams is at 7 and Ryan Sutton on the bench.

Luke Thompson continues at 13 for the Bulldogs.

Tom Burgess at 10 for the Rabbitohs.

Farnworth plays in the centre for the Broncos.

Ryan Hall back onto the wing for the Roosters.

Is Herbie naturally a centre ? That would be good for us given our centre stocks 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Is Herbie naturally a centre ? That would be good for us given our centre stocks 

I understand he has played full back, centre and wing.

I think he looks good at centre as his footwork looks good and when he fills out he will have some decent size to him as well.  Difficult to really tell in this Broncos side unfortunately as he is not getting many chances to shine in attack.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Agree. He has also added a bit more aggression into his running and a bit of sting in defence as well 

He looks like a 2014/15 George

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Good on him. He has worked massively to get an NRL contract and now he is playing first grade.

The Broncos have some troubles at the moment but they are still the biggest club in the NRL.

Two games down for the Brits and I thought Tom Burgess and Herbie Farnworth were both great for their respective teams.

• Like 2

I like the look of Herbie at centre, which is an area we're not blessed in.

A future England centre partnership of Farnworth and Newman could be quite exciting if both progress how i'm sure we all hope.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

6 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

A future England centre partnership of Farnworth and Newman could be quite exciting if both progress how i'm sure we all hope.

I agree.

And all the more impressive from Harry Newman as his Wikipedia entry shows he is only 4ft 6 inches tall 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Newman_(rugby_league)

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.

And all the more impressive from Harry Newman as his Wikipedia entry shows he is only 4ft 6 inches tall 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Newman_(rugby_league)

Just a quick update on this. Harry Newman's height on Wikipedia has just been updated to 8ft 5 inches.

Bateman's back for tomorrow's match with the Cowboys, apparently. 8:30am, UK time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bateman's back for tomorrow's match with the Cowboys, apparently. 8:30am, UK time.

Looking forward to it.

Such a pity that Hodgson is injured otherwise we would have seen the five English Raiders in action.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Just a quick update on this. Harry Newman's height on Wikipedia has just been updated to 8ft 5 inches.

He had a growth spurt . He does need to go on a high protein high carb diet though if he’s to play for England as he’s only 6kg 

Edited by DavidM

19 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Jake Wardle looks more promising than Farnworth in my opinion 

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Amazing performance by Bateman today after such an operation.  He would’ve been expected to drop off a tackle or two, but barring the odd blip, it looked as if he’d never been away.  

He really is an amazing competitor... tough as nails.

I thought all the Brits were good today in a gutsy 'fly in, fly out win for the Raiders. 

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He really is an amazing competitor... tough as nails.

I thought all the Brits were good today in a gutsy 'fly in, fly out win for the Raiders. 

......and then for the Roosters, Ryan Hall dropped a pass going over the line.  Although I couldn’t watch that, I listened.  

Just now, Lowdesert said:

......and then for the Roosters, Ryan Hall dropped a pass going over the line.  Although I couldn’t watch that, I listened.  

Not seen the Roosters game yet, I have that for later.

Pity for Hall, hope it wasn't a glaring error... I saw the game report and he looked like he put in his usual stint.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Not seen the Roosters game yet, I have that for later.

Pity for Hall, hope it wasn't a glaring error... I saw the game report and he looked like he put in his usual stint.

He barely got a mention in the commentary first half.  He missed a tackle or two.

I think he was on something like 50m at half time and then finished with around 130m? (Haven’t checked).  The commentary just said ‘PTB by Ryan Hall - no mention of his yardage.

They were sympathetic on him not getting a try though.  I think it was a half chance.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

He barely got a mention in the commentary first half.  He missed a tackle or two.

I think he was on something like 50m at half time and then finished with around 130m? (Haven’t checked).  The commentary just said ‘PTB by Ryan Hall - no mention of his yardage.

They were sympathetic on him not getting a try though.  I think it was a half chance.

According to Fox Sports he finished with 179 metres and 3rd best for the Roosters (and the game).  Sounds solid enough but nothing spectacular.

Just caught up with the Roosters game. Hall was solid but not dangerous.  He put one ball down but it was on the half way and so not a scoring chance.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Just caught up with the Roosters game. Hall was solid but not dangerous.  He put one ball down but it was on the half way and so not a scoring chance.

Ah, ok.  The commentators said he put down a scoring chance, so maybe mistaken and I can believe his meterage as it was maybe 5 minutes late updating.  179 is impressive given his first half.  And then we look at Taumalolo’s. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Ah, ok.  The commentators said he put down a scoring chance, so maybe mistaken and I can believe his meterage as it was maybe 5 minutes late updating.  179 is impressive given his first half. 

If he was a normal squad player filling in he wouldn't get a mention. It's only because of his record at leeds and international matches, but which ever way you look at it he is really poor in one of the top teams in the NRL. He is 4th choice winger who hasn't scored halfway through his 2nd season. 

Edited by ELBOWSEYE
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1