Brits in the NRL

On 02/08/2020 at 15:13, barnyia said:

Thompson does a lot of work but seems to always be the support runner to another forward and second or third man into the tackle. 

Tough work but the aussies don't seem to have 3 to 4 players in the tackle and all his tackles seem to finish with him around the legs, in the early games it was like he was pacing himself, maybe the new coach has noticed that and told him to do more in shorter stints. When he does take the ball  up he runs very hard and often wins the tackle and gets a quick play the ball

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yep these are pretty much my observations too. Think he needs to work on his one on one tackling. He's struggling a bit with the footwork of some of these NRL forwards IMO - I don't remember him being the first man in against Paulo or RCG at any stage of the game. As you rightly point out mainly coming in as 2nd/3rd man, which is why tackle numbers in RL are always a bit misleading. Not too worried at the moment at the decreasing game time as it most likely is just a realisation his fitness is a bit off for the style he plays. His running game has been strongest so far and if that means him doing a bit less in defence to save himself then that might be the strategy they're going for. 

I think these are very good observations and I would agree with them.  Thompson has looked strong carrying the ball, mainly due to the speed he goes at the line, but has not been particularly dominant in the tackle and that is something he will need to work on to be a real top class forward in the NRL.

I think he will definitely get there. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 04/08/2020 at 10:46, Davo5 said:

Got to feel sorry for Hall,he's been starved of quality ball and against the Titans was regularly left facing 2&3 attackers.

Josh Morris has pulled out of the Roosters squad for tomorrow and so Sitili Tuponiua is back to the centre and Nat Butcher back into the 13 as the edge back rower.

If anyone had any hopes of Hall breaking his try duck this week I suspect it won't happen.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Same again for the Brits this week with all of them back in action as per last weeks selections.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Josh Morris has pulled out of the Roosters squad for tomorrow and so Sitili Tuponiua is back to the centre and Nat Butcher back into the 13 as the edge back rower.

If anyone had any hopes of Hall breaking his try duck this week I suspect it won't happen.

I think they've put swapped them round though mate. So Manu will play on the same edge as Hall. 

That's what i'm taking from this anyway, but may be wrong. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/04/round-13-nrl-squad-announcements/

16 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think they've put swapped them round though mate. So Manu will play on the same edge as Hall. 

That's what i'm taking from this anyway, but may be wrong. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/04/round-13-nrl-squad-announcements/

Yes, the team list has been updated from yesterday and it looks like they have shifted Aubusson into the centre rather than Tuponiua. 

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, the team list has been updated from yesterday and it looks like they have shifted Aubusson into the centre rather than Tuponiua. 

Oh wow they really do keep that updated! When I checked before Manu had been shifted but still showed Tupouniua in the other centre position. But yeah, this is a really good chance for Hall playing outside Manu, because I can't believe they'd prefer to go down Aubusson's edge and if they do then I'm going to start believing they really don't trust Hall in attack.

9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Oh wow they really do keep that updated! When I checked before Manu had been shifted but still showed Tupouniua in the other centre position. But yeah, this is a really good chance for Hall playing outside Manu, because I can't believe they'd prefer to go down Aubusson's edge and if they do then I'm going to start believing they really don't trust Hall in attack.

If the Roosters win today and score a few tries then I would expect Manu and Tedesco to be key players.  The Roosters are definitely going to want to go to Manu's side.

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Aubusson has been a very underrated player.  Whether his pace and running angles will be enough to create space for Hall remain to be seen.  Manu would've been a different entity altogether.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting Ryan Hall to score his first try.

16 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Roosters need to get on top because on the flipside, Hall is definitely up against the Dragons strike edge in Lomax and Ravalawa - guy is a beast. 

I really like the Dragons back line... Lomax and Aitken in the centres are both dangerous and their wings are big and athletic.

The Roosters are weakened with injuries but Robinson has also dropped Flanagan which is a big call and so I expect them to be quite fired up for this one. 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Good move by Robinson,Tuponiua is a promising backrower but will never be a centre as long as he has a hole in his arris !

37 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The English quartet at Canberra got schooled by the Panthers today

The Panthers are a real quality outfit and certainly Viliame Kikaau and Liam Martin got over the top of Whitehead and Bateman today and bagged a try each.

Nathan Cleary is living up to his potential and could be the next great Kangaroo half back for me.... he has all the attributes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The Panthers are a real quality outfit and certainly Viliame Kikaau and Liam Martin got over the top of Whitehead and Bateman today and bagged a try each.

Nathan Cleary is living up to his potential and could be the next great Kangaroo half back for me.... he has all the attributes.

They’re just a well balanced side, who complement each other so well. I must admit, I didn’t overly rate them ahead of the season but Fisher Harris is probably the form prop in the comp, whilst Crichton looks excellent (I didn’t expect such things from him after seeing him in the Aussie Schoolboys side). The man who pulls all the strings is the massively underrated Koroisau, and Cleary is the leader where everything revolves around but he also has the perfect foil in Luai. And Kikau is just a beast. They don’t have a quality full back but Edwards and Aitken are steady enough. They’re definitely genuine challengers 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2020 at 10:56, Dunbar said:

I think these are very good observations and I would agree with them.  Thompson has looked strong carrying the ball, mainly due to the speed he goes at the line, but has not been particularly dominant in the tackle and that is something he will need to work on to be a real top class forward in the NRL.

I think he will definitely get there. 

Feel free to call me out for being naive, but have you been slightly disappointed with Luke Thompson's first few games? 

I think hes done alright, but maybe i was just expecting a bit more. The last couple of seasons I've probably even had a higher opinion of him than George Williams and John Bateman, yet they seemed to of excelled a bit more straight out of the gate.

In Superleague he had a very destructive running style often skittling 2 or 3 players with a quick play the ball. He has great acceleration and leg drive but seems to get stopped in contact quite easy in the first few nrl games hes played. 

Maybe it's just playing against bigger, stronger, faster, fitter middle forwards than hes used to.

27 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Feel free to call me out for being naive, but have you been slightly disappointed with Luke Thompson's first few games? 

I think hes done alright, but maybe i was just expecting a bit more. The last couple of seasons I've probably even had a higher opinion of him than George Williams and John Bateman, yet they seemed to of excelled a bit more straight out of the gate.

In Superleague he had a very destructive running style often skittling 2 or 3 players with a quick play the ball. He has great acceleration and leg drive but seems to get stopped in contact quite easy in the first few nrl games hes played. 

Maybe it's just playing against bigger, stronger, faster, fitter middle forwards than hes used to.

You’re probably right he hasn’t taken it by storm but to be fair to Thompson he’s come straight out of lockdown in the UK. So no club training for months then into quarantine in Aussie which I’m assuming means he could barely leave his home then thrown into an awful Bulldogs team in the NRL not really the best preparation for him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

williams was way out of his depth against the panthers. can see this scenario coming in an england shirt unfortunately 

He wasn’t much better or worse than Wighton his half partner who is a current Aussie International.

I have seen most Raiders games this season and would say Williams has been the better halfback.

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

williams was way out of his depth against the panthers. can see this scenario coming in an england shirt unfortunately 

Could I ask you to be just a little bit more melodramatic please. 

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Could I ask you to be just a little bit more melodramatic please. 

the predictable pass back inside and the kick time after time after time- none effective against top quality sides 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

22 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

He wasn’t much better or worse than Wighton his half partner who is a current Aussie International.

I have seen most Raiders games this season and would say Williams has been the better halfback.

Since the restart, i'd agree that's been the case

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the predictable pass back inside and the kick time after time after time- none effective against top quality sides 

If that is the case then it is the coach who is out of his depth for the poor and predictable game plan, not the half back for executing it.

It's funny isn't it. When Williams was in Super League he was off the cuff and unpredictable but criticised for being inconsistent. 

When he went to the NRL people said some structure would be coached into his game. 

Now he is playing to a structured game plan at Canberra he is being criticised for being too predictable and out of his depth.

• Like 2