Brits in the NRL

On 13/08/2020 at 15:19, DoubleD said:

After a series of underwhelming performances, Ryan Hall dropped from the Roosters game today in place of debutant Christian Tuipulotu, who naturally scores a try on debut 

utter rubbish, ryan hall pulled up with a strain during warm up - simple as that

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

utter rubbish, ryan hall pulled up with a strain during warm up - simple as that

This is a fair point, as opposed to the professional 'knockers'.

Hall did his knee playing for Leeds, after he signed for Roosters. So it's not his fault he missed a load of games and needs game play.  And I am sorry he got injured at an age when you can do without that.   

I notice that despite not playing since March, Sean O'Loughlin end up being injured just in time for the restart. 

On 15/08/2020 at 11:53, barnyia said:

Another highlights reel for Williams tonight? The defense never know if he's going to kick pass or run. 

I am a Bulls fan who was watching. I couldn't sleep last night at the thought of the last two.

☺️😉

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Luke Thompson on the bench this week.

I know it is a 17 man game now and being on the bench doesn't necessarily mean less involvement but after being underused for the last two weeks (game time and involvement), this feels like a step down to me.

I would encourage the Bulldogs to give him more time and work to get the best out of him, not less.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

He seems to be just getting through games, he seems to be a little lost, I know 13 for the bulldogs is a third prop but he seems out of position, he is always the support player in the hit ups and not very convincing as he just runs at the side of the player with a non convincing running style that he's going to be passed to, I'm sure after a good pré season he'll make a big impact. I read he only made 6 hit ups in the last game, he usually picks his runs after a quick play the ball at saints and then makes good mètres but the bulldogs are being dominated so that won't help him either 

18 minutes ago, barnyia said:

He seems to be just getting through games, he seems to be a little lost, I know 13 for the bulldogs is a third prop but he seems out of position, he is always the support player in the hit ups and not very convincing as he just runs at the side of the player with a non convincing running style that he's going to be passed to, I'm sure after a good pré season he'll make a big impact. I read he only made 6 hit ups in the last game, he usually picks his runs after a quick play the ball at saints and then makes good mètres but the bulldogs are being dominated so that won't help him either 

The key to his game at Saints is he’s a workhorse. Hit up after hit up with no drop in quality in them on top of that he is quick for his size so if a defenders having a breather he can take advantage. With that in mind if he did take 6 drives in the last game its a massive waste. 

35 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Again, I agree with your take on this - all I would say however is that if the idea (as per our conversation last week) is to use him for less minutes and more of an impact player for the time being, then coming off the bench gives him the best opportunity to do that. If he comes on the field on around the 25 minute until half time and then 15 to 20 mins after, then he'll be doing about the the same minutes but they'll broken up minutes and with a tiring defence, in the first half at least. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Let’s give Thompson time,won’t be easy joining a struggling team in a different comp after an enforced 4 month layoff.

That's fair enough but when you know what Thompson can do its frustrating to see him get 6 or 9 runs a game and yet Aiden Toleman gets 15 to 20.

Toleman is a solid prop but Thompson is much better and he should be given the opportunity to show it.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's fair enough but when you know what Thompson can do its frustrating to see him get 6 or 9 runs a game and yet Aiden Toleman gets 15 to 20.

Toleman is a solid prop but Thompson is much better and he should be given the opportunity to show it.

My point was it's harsh criticising Thompson at this stage,criticism of theBulldogs utilisation of him seems more justifiable.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

My point was it's harsh criticising Thompson at this stage,criticism of theBulldogs utilisation of him seems more justifiable.

He could be used better is what I think what most of us are saying, he's keen, but doing lots of little things and less of the big stuff, support instead of runs, third man tackles so finishing around the legs and having to make the effort to get back into the defensive line etc 

Edited by barnyia

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I am definitely fucussing on the Bulldogs and not Thompson himself.  I think he needs to add a bit more sting in defence (which he did last week) but overall the Bulldogs have acquired one of the most dynamic middle forwards in the world and are simply not using him to the best of his talents.

• Like 1

Thompson is being under utilised in terms of his running game no doubt . That’s his gig , he’s not a ball playing lock and he’s not a out n out tackling lock ... indeed he’s not a lock , but if he’s playing there he has to have big run numbers as thsts his game , he’s not adding another dimension elsewhere . He needs getting on for 20 carries . Conversely I will say that what he’s doing so far when he is involved isn’t pulling any trees up so far . His carries aren’t bending the line as we know of him , defences are up early on him as they know he’s a dynamic runner when he gets going , and they’re snapping his legs away . I’ve noticed also his defence isn’t bruising or dominating . Overall though one must remember the circumstances in which he’s arrived , in a new environment , a new team in which takes it time to gel and garner understanding - both ways , and in a struggling team . It’s all different . I’ve no worries for him long term , a full preseason , conditioning and getting to new his teammates and structures , and having the confidence to voice what you want , and he’ll be fine . They need to adapt to him and he needs to adapt to the NRL demands . I think both will happen 

Edited by DavidM

I heard an Aussie journo compare John Bateman to Shane Warne after the Raiders-Broncos game because the fear his unpredictability instils in opposition defences gives him a psychological edge. Might be overegging the pudding a touche but they love him down there.

Edited by Man of Kent

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I heard an Aussie journo compare John Bateman to Shane Warne after the Raiders-Broncos game because the fear his unpredictability instils in opposition defences gives him a psychological edge. Might be overegging the pudding a touche but they love him down there.

Just a tad 

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am definitely fucussing on the Bulldogs and not Thompson himself.  I think he needs to add a bit more sting in defence (which he did last week) but overall the Bulldogs have acquired one of the most dynamic middle forwards in the world and are simply not using him to the best of his talents.

He was one of, if not the most dynamic middle foward in super league. Doesn't necessarily make him one of the most dynamic middle fowards in the world.

It will be good to see him after a good 10 week aussie preseason.

17 minutes ago, AB90 said:

He was one of, if not the most dynamic middle foward in super league. Doesn't necessarily make him one of the most dynamic middle fowards in the world.

It will be good to see him after a good 10 week aussie preseason.

Clearly these are judgment calls when people play across multiple competitions.  In my opinion he is one of the most dynamic middle forwards in the world and I believe he will prove that.  My concern at the moment is that Canterbury are not using him to his strengths but that can of course change.