Brits in the NRL

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'd like him to get a decent, uninjured run at an NRL side, just to prove himself to everyone.

That would be good . What is he 31 or something ? Can’t be many wingers on the market who’ve got 30 odd test tries and who you could get reasonably cheaply as he may just  want a consistent chance to show he can cut it 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

That would be good . What is he 31 or something ? Can’t be many wingers on the market who’ve got 30 odd test tries and who you could get reasonably cheaply as he may just  want a consistent chance to show he can cut it 

He’s 33 next month,can’t see another NRL club taking him on unfortunately,the lad really hasn’t had any luck since he signed for the Roosters.

22 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He’s 33 next month,can’t see another NRL club taking him on unfortunately, the lad really hasn’t had any luck since he signed for the Roosters.

He hasn't had many people passing the ball to him either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time Ryan Hall touched the ball was when he was hitting it up coming out of defence. 

Which he did consistently in his few appearances.

Admittedly he didn't do much else.

hope he does find another club, even for just one more season.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

35 minutes ago, wedontneedrhinos said:

I must have watched different games to you mate. I never saw that. I was crying out for him to do that ☹️☹️

I think your username is a tiny little clue to why you're trying to slag off a former Leeds player. HTH.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/10/2020 at 00:05, wedontneedrhinos said:

He's not gone looking for the ball either. Which is one of the frustration the Roosters fans have with him. 

You've got Tupou and Ikuvali taking the ball up first or second tackle. Where was Hall. Granted Morris doesn't do that. He's not got the size but he makes up for it in tries.

Massive let down. Nearly as big a flop as Watkins

Of all the things to criticize Hall for, this is the strangest.  Literally the best thing he did was carry the ball well on the first plays for the Roosters.

This year, Hall averaged 19 carries per game, Tupou 18 and Ikuvalu 16.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 16/10/2020 at 00:05, wedontneedrhinos said:

He's not gone looking for the ball either. Which is one of the frustration the Roosters fans have with him. 

You've got Tupou and Ikuvali taking the ball up first or second tackle. Where was Hall. Granted Morris doesn't do that. He's not got the size but he makes up for it in tries.

Massive let down. Nearly as big a flop as Watkins

Complete nonsense 

Best British team to have played in the NRL in the past five years:

Sam Tomkins

Ryan Hall, Kallum Watkins, Herbie Farnworth Joe Burgess,

Gareth Widdop, George Williams

Sam Burgess

John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead

James Graham, Josh Hodgson, Tom Burgess

Interchange:  George Burgess, Ryan Sutton, Joe Greenwood, Dan Sarginson

With the exception of Sam Burgess, all these players could take the field for England today and perform extremely well.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Sam Tomkins

Sam Burgess

With the exception of Sam Burgess, all these players could take the field for England today and perform extremely well.

Only if they were playing Jamaica 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Sam Tomkins

Sam Burgess

Well yeh , but not at rugby league 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 22:19, wedontneedrhinos said:

Lol, not at all mate. Got alot of time for Ryan. Know his family well also and also played underage Rugby at Oulton with him. 

Also funny, the same comments have been posted on the Roosters message board.

Think it's time to take your Rhinos tinted glasses off 🤣

I think if you look at carries and metres made for Ryan Hall in the games that he played they were extremely high - including most metres after contact. The problem was that he was simply taking hit ups every set and not being an attacking threat.

Hall has lost any pace he had, is not a player to track inside and is not as agile as he once was. TBH it looked like the game was simply too fast for him when Roosters were on the attack - and I have loved watching Ryan Hall throughout his career. The same thing when England were in the World 9s, when your pace and agility has gone you have nowhere to hide.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Only if they were playing Jamaica 

That is ridiculous comment.

On current form:

Sam Tomkins is the best full back in Super League.

Herbie Farnworth, George Williams, John Bateman, Eliot Whitehead,, Tom Burgess, and Ryan Sutton are currently  top rated NRL players. Before his injury so was Josh Hodgson.

Sam Burgess was a super star of the NRL before he retired.

Gareth Widdop was a star in the NRL.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Sam Tomkins

Sam Burgess

If you wanted currently active players you would swap in Luke Thompson for Sam Burgess.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

On current form:

Herbie Farnworth, George Williams, John Bateman, Eliot Whitehead,, Tom Burgess, and Ryan Sutton are currently  top rated NRL players. Before his injury so was Josh Hodgson.

On current form,Your whole 3/4s are way short of International class and your pack has a prop who is on the verge of retirement,a hooker who has never performed at test level,a loose forward who had to retire and a bench containing 2 players who can't regularly get into the Wigan team and another who despite some improved form this year will never be test class and you say I'm being ridiculous.

Just because you've played in the NRL at some point doesn't make you a world beater.

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Yes. You are absolutely correct. 

I would definitely have Mike Cooper on the bench as well.

44 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

On current form:

Is it Australia this team that will do extremely well is playing Manfred ?

25 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

On current form,Your whole 3/4s are way short of International class and your pack has a prop who is on the verge of retirement,a hooker who has never performed at test level,a loose forward who had to retire and a bench containing 2 players who can't regularly get into the Wigan team and another who despite some improved form this year will never be test class and you say I'm being ridiculous.

Just because you've played in the NRL at some point doesn't make you a world beater.

You may be almost correct about the three quarters, but Herbie Farnworth is one of the few good performers at the Brisbane Broncos, and is knocking on the door of international selection. Watkins had an unlucky time with injuries at Gold Coast, but is doing okay with Salford. Ryan Hall is past his best but did reasonably as a substitute with the star studded Sydney Roosters three quarter line. Joe Burgess did reasonably well when he moved to South Sydney. That not overly impressive three quarter line would do sufficiently well in support of a star studded forward pack, playing with a selected star full back and star half back.

The forward pack, with Luke Thompson selected in place of Sam Burgess, as suggested by the estimable TRL commentator Dunbar, would be a very good international standard.

So the low bar you set of being impressive only by comparison with Jamaica is just flat wrong, even ridiculous. That England team could well be top 4.

Edited by Manfred Mann

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If you’re going back five years you’d have Jack Reed in as he had a very good 2015 and scored a try in the GF

Yes.

Either in place of Watkins, or in place of Hall with the versatile Farnworth moving to the wing. . You are correct.