Brits in the NRL

Said it since the start, Thompson was dealt a bad hand and was going to struggle. The fact he's still there and not sulked and asked for a move home tells me everything I need to know about his grit and resolve. By the end of the season he'll be one of the better middle players in the competition.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Said it since the start, Thompson was dealt a bad hand and was going to struggle. The fact he's still there and not sulked and asked for a move home tells me everything I need to know about his grit and resolve. By the end of the season he'll be one of the better middle players in the competition.

Thompson's barely begun his NRL career, thanks to the ban he had to serve. Today was him putting down a marker of what to expect. I think the NRL's pundits will be even more impressed by him as the rounds go by.

There's also a psychological boost for Thompson. When the RWC comes around, all he'll see in front of him are players he's faced and (hopefully) dominated.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Thompson's barely begun his NRL career, thanks to the ban he had to serve. Today was him putting down a marker of what to expect. I think the NRL's pundits will be even more impressed by him as the rounds go by.

There's also a psychological boost for Thompson. When the RWC comes around, all he'll see in front of him are players he's faced and (hopefully) dominated.

He's clearly a good player but some people get done by the mental side of it. He'd have been better not going to them mid-season but that's with hindsight. He's clearly got the drive for it so he'll be fine. Shame he's in a bad team but he'll be ok. Not sure about dominating but playing people week in week out certainly takes away the aura.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He's unlikely to dominate the international-standard players but is certainly now holding his own. Surely, at that level, Thompson is a 60+ minute workhorse with good foot speed and agility. He's not going to bulldose the top forwards in the NRL too often.

Thompson was brilliant yesterday. Great yardage and at times won the ruck with ease to allow for quick PTBs.

He seemed to set the tone for Canterbury’s win through sheer effort.

I can see him playing at loose forward for England but I like the idea of him as first interchange against tiring defences. 

Edited by Man of Kent

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Williams seems to have gone backwards since he went missing in the Faders’ lucky win against Cronulla. This has always been the worry about him, that he’s not a great organising half.

williams outclassed and outplayed 2 weeks in a row by cleary and moses then on the wrong side of a comeback by the cowboys- simply not good enough

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

williams outclassed and outplayed 2 weeks in a row by cleary and moses then on the wrong side of a comeback by the cowboys- simply not good enough

That’s a very simplistic view, is Jack Wighton “simply not good enough” too because, as a half, Moses is more a six than a seven.

Maybe it’s more to do with Canberra’s pack not being dominant leaving the half struggling to find the room and time to play.

Maybe it’s due to missing a few of the regular backline players including Charnze Nicole-Klokstad whose become vital to the Raiders attacking play.

maybe it’s a bit of all of the above?

All that said, I don’t think Williams is playing that bad at all, yes he can be better but his performances aren’t in isolation

• Like 1

20 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

I don't think it matters that other halves are playing better than Williams but it does matter that Canberra are losing games from winning positions. Game management etc. 

Edited by Man of Kent

49 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

That’s a very simplistic view, is Jack Wighton “simply not good enough” too because, as a half, Moses is more a six than a seven.

Maybe it’s more to do with Canberra’s pack not being dominant leaving the half struggling to find the room and time to play.

Maybe it’s due to missing a few of the regular backline players including Charnze Nicole-Klokstad whose become vital to the Raiders attacking play.

maybe it’s a bit of all of the above?

All that said, I don’t think Williams is playing that bad at all, yes he can be better but his performances aren’t in isolation

Canberra have not reacted to the new rules. They still play slowly and do set up drives for set plays. You don't see many other teams now doing drop offs 5 metres from the defence to set up a play. Their attack seems alot slower than the other teams and less heads up rugby. 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Interesting.

What would you say is the difference these days?

3 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Interesting.

What would you say is the difference these days?

In some teams virtually nothing but others still run with a more traditional stand off who falls somewhere between a centre, a second Row and a scrum half. 
I’ll grant you that some coaches like run with two half backs who fit the scrum half description and control either the left or right sided attack but not really Canberra. Wighton is more of a traditional 6 as is Moses although less so

Edited by OMEGA

Not quite the NRL but well worth a mention. 

To bring together a couple of threads on these boards from the last few months... Dom Young has been named to line up against Joseph Suaalii as Newcastle take on North Sydney in the NSW Cup this weekend. 

I am pretty sure Suaalii plays tight centre normally as does Young but they have been named at 3 and 4 respectively. If they are going head to head it will be a mouthwatering clash.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Not quite the NRL but well worth a mention. 

To bring together a couple of threads on these boards from the last few months... Dom Young has been named to line up against Joseph Suaalii as Newcastle take on North Sydney in the NSW Cup this weekend. 

I am pretty sure Suaalii plays tight centre normally as does Young but they have been named at 3 and 4 respectively. If they are going head to head it will be a mouthwatering clash.

Can see Suaalii playing first grade this week if Tedesco is stood down following his third concussion in the last 10 months.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Can see Suaalii playing first grade this week if Tedesco is stood down following his third concussion in the last 10 months.

Yes, he has been named as a reserve and in the NSW Cup team. As you say, all down to how Tedesco fares following his HIA.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Also, a quick mention for Elliott Whitehead who captains the Raiders this week in the absence of normal co-captains Josh Hodgson and Jarrod Croker.

Agreed, it's a bit harsh dropping one player... especially as he has missed two games before last weekend and has been described as one of Brisbane's best this year.

It lays down a statement that Wane will not tolerate a drop in form and he is the boss, maybe that is a message he wanted to get out.