Brits in the NRL

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

@DavidM saw your post in the Kyle Feldt thread... thought I would pick up here.

I thought Luke Thompson was ok this morning but far and away the best Brit in the NRL this week was Farnworth.

I don't suppose we will ever hear the specific reason he was dropped from the England squad but I would love to know what it was.

Thomson looks like he has so much more in the tank. Wish he would impose himself more when the Bulldogs are in possession. Suppose we were spoilt with Sam Burgess just wanting the ball at every opportunity.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

...far and away the best Brit in the NRL this week was Farnworth.

I don't suppose we will ever hear the specific reason he was dropped from the England squad but I would love to know what it was.

Does anyone know what kind of time frame was placed on being dropped? 

Hypothetically, Farnworth still has 5ish months to 'put things right'.

Wane needs to consider that Farnworth is playing against 100-110 kg NRL centres each week (who can tackle, move and read play effectively). Our Super League centres play against too many 80-85 kg 'kids' with less athleticism and reduced game sense.  Apples and oranges and all that...

Whilst I am not claiming to have provided 'deep analysis' - it genuinely concerns me how 'surface level' the analysis of a typical British coach is (in this regard).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scubby said:

Thomson looks like he has so much more in the tank. Wish he would impose himself more when the Bulldogs are in possession. Suppose we were spoilt with Sam Burgess just wanting the ball at every opportunity.

I think Thonpson looks OK going forward. He is topping the carries and metres regularly for the Bullbogs now. Agree he can do more but it is a lot better than last year when we was a decoy runner so often.

It is defence where I want to see more... not effort as he is topping the tackle count as well, but he is often grabbing and holding and I would like to see him put some big shots on as well.

All in all though he is doing as well as he can in a team that has very little in the way of direction from the spine.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I think Thonpson looks OK going forward. He is topping the carries and metres regularly for the Bullbogs now. Agree he can do more but it is a lot better than last year when we was a decoy runner so often.

It is defence where I want to see more... not effort as he is topping the tackle count as well, but he is often grabbing and holding and I would like to see him put some big shots on as well.

All in all though he is doing as well as he can in a team that has very little in the way of direction from the spine.

Wonder if he is spooked by the constant reviews and bans that are going on at the moment? A slightly mistimed hit is getting people a few weeks on the sidelines now (unless you are Victor Radley).

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So he’s regularly topping the carries,metres made & tackle count but you want more ?

Just now, Davo5 said:

So he’s regularly topping the carries,metres made & tackle count but you want more ?

Yes, I want him to prove he is one of the very best props in the world.  Don't you?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I want him to prove he is one of the very best props in the world.  Don't you?

If I was his coach I’d want him playing the role that most benefits the team and that’s what he seems to be doing.

Just now, Davo5 said:

If I was his coach I’d want him playing the role that most benefits the team and that’s what he seems to be doing.

Jeez, you like a good argument don't you. 

Luke Thompson is playing well for the Bulldogs at the moment but I don't want him to play well, I want him to prove himself to be one of the very best forwards in the world and that means breaking more tackles and adding sting to his defence. 

He is capable of this and even though he probably the Bulldog's best forward at the moment he is a long way from being one of the best in the competition and that is where I would like him to be... because I think he is.  If you are ok with what he is showing at the moment then fine.

• Like 1

Thompson's defence has been noticeably flaky when I've seen him. He doesn't dominate in the tackle. I can't remember noticing this in SL, but perhaps it's because I'm focusing on him more now when I watch him play. The missed tackle in the 4th minute vs the Eels last week, when Mahoney cut through the middle of the ruck was particularly concerning.

He's looked good going forward, no concerns on that front

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Luke Thompson is playing well for the Bulldogs at the moment but I don't want him to play well, I want him to prove himself to be one of the very best forwards in the world and that means breaking more tackles and adding sting to his defence. 

He is capable of this and even though he probably the Bulldog's best forward at the moment he is a long way from being one of the best in the competition and that is where I would like him to be... because I think he is.  If you are ok with what he is showing at the moment then fine.

Sorry,thought this was a RL forum which allows for differing opinions.

Maybe give Trent a call and tell him to play Thompson  in short spells so he can look more flashy.

Hes playing well given he missed the start of the season in a team that’s getting flogged regularly,hard for any prop to look the best in the world.

FWIW I’ve never rated him near the best prop in the game,but he is very good.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Wonder if he is spooked by the constant reviews and bans that are going on at the moment? A slightly mistimed hit is getting people a few weeks on the sidelines now (unless you are Victor Radley).

It’s ridiculous . As usual they react to one thing by completely overreacting . I was watching the Sea Eagles game and the bunker was in the refs ear so much getting guys put on report even the commentators didn’t know what he was seeing . We were going back ages at times . Jason Saab got put on report for a crusher which the bunker ‘ found ‘ after a player stayed down , and it was like ‘ ok I will find something  for you ‘ but it was nothing .And the touchie was a metre away .  I understand player welfare but it’s rugby league - fast furious high speed collision sport , dissecting it to the nth degree in extreme slow mo frame by frame has always seemed totally wrong and counter intuitive to me . You can find anything anywhere if you look for it . We encourage guys to stay down now .The judiciary will be going 24/7 at this rate and the number of HIA’s will mean the full squad should be on the bench 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree hes a bit of a grabber. Bit of a zombie tackler and goes too high. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2021 at 17:14, burnleywelsh said:

Leading average metres, for a centre, in the NRL. The stats must be wrong, they don't align with Exiled Wiganer's observations 🤣 

(Next - "They've been the 'wrong' type of metres.")

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There’s talk of Farnworth being the Broncos full back in the longer term.

With Adam Reynolds at halfback, this time next year young Herbie could be a superstar, as they like to say Down Under. 

Herbie is an out and out fullback. Played his England rep age grades there. The intention was to replace Boyd at fullback, being introduced on the wing. But circumstances, due to his versatility, saw him being played at centre. His form in that position meant that he couldn’t be dropped. He would smash it at fullback and I believe that’s where he will end up............if Broncos can replace him at centre.

• Like 2

There's talk of them signing Gagai which would enable Farnworth to move to fullback.  Physically he looks more like a fullback than centre to me.  If he can pass (which we haven't seen much of) he'll be a major boost to the Broncos. Isaako has been playing OK there but he's an out and out runner and couldn't set up a play to save his life. If anything just switching them round might work, as Isaako at his best is a great runner..

On Thompson, his defence just in't good enough yet. Sometimes he doesn't even seem to know where he's supposed to be in the line.  He also looks pretty slow to get into position following a tackle - particularly ones where he was nearby but not actually in the tackle.  I'd be surprised if opposition coaches weren't targeting him. The good news is that defensive issues should be easier to fix than lack of oomph carying the ball.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

Leading average metres, for a centre, in the NRL. The stats must be wrong, they don't align with Exiled Wiganer's observations 🤣 

(Next - "They've been the 'wrong' type of metres.")

I really don’t mean to offend the Farnworth fan club. You love him, I get that. I am sure there are still annual reunions of the Reed and Heighington fan clubs as well, where they can swap stats all day. As I don’t pick the side, you will be pleased to know, whether he is selected or does well for England is out of my hands. 

On the Wane - Farnworth situation, I think Herbie has intimated to Wane that he’s not sure he wants to nail his colours to the England mast. He’s moved his life to Australia, maybe he doesn’t see himself ever returning to the U.K. and perhaps feels the need to become an Australian through and through.

If he’s suggested to Wane that he’s unsure then that would fit Wanes wording as he explained Farnworths removal from the England squad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I really don’t mean to offend the Farnworth fan club. You love him, I get that. I am sure there are still annual reunions of the Reed and Heighington fan clubs as well, where they can swap stats all day. As I don’t pick the side, you will be pleased to know, whether he is selected or does well for England is out of my hands. 

I'm not particularly sure that too many people have ever defended Heighington's selection.

Reed, however, at the time of his selection, had scored 12 tries in his first NRL season. He scored 3 tries in his 5 England appearances too. Maybe you would have preferred the selection of a 'Super Leaguer' like Richard Horne to surprise the Aussies again 🤣

If stats aren't to be used, I'm not sure what alternative(s) you're expecting. 

Let's say we go we use qualitative, rather than quantitative, data regarding Farnworth - if you don't recognise him as 'a talent' then we must be looking out for very different attributes in a player 🙂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, OMEGA said:

On the Wane - Farnworth situation, I think Herbie has intimated to Wane that he’s not sure he wants to nail his colours to the England mast. He’s moved his life to Australia, maybe he doesn’t see himself ever returning to the U.K. and perhaps feels the need to become an Australian through and through.

If he’s suggested to Wane that he’s unsure then that would fit Wanes wording as he explained Farnworths removal from the England squad.

The following is the text I've seen re the situation. I don't see how this intimates what you are suggesting.

Head Coach Shaun Wane explains: “I keep a very close eye on the NRL and enjoy regular contact with the England squad players Down Under. The players know the standards expected of them as England players. Herbie’s standards have dipped below what I expect. It’s as simple as that.”

If Farnworth does see himself as an Aussie, then I hope the love-in on this thread dies back. He's good and has lots of potential, don't get me wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OMEGA said:

You think wrong. He’s playing in Australia because that is the best Rugby League competition in the world and he had the ambition and drive to test himself there. He’s a Lancashire lad through and through. All his family are still here near Burnley. He will, I’m sure, return to the UK once his Rugby League career in Australia is concluded. I believe that the issue with Wane has been blown out of all proportion. Hopefully it will be sorted out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Burgess had a shocker in a dreadful, non existent Souths performance today vs Penrith. Missed a tackle on Burton break in the 3rd minute and just looked off the pace. In fairness, he was no worse than the rest of the Souths players who collectively were rubbish. It's been a long time since I saw a Souths performance as bad as that

• Thanks 1