Brits in the NRL

52 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Tom Burgess had a shocker in a dreadful, non existent Souths performance today vs Penrith. Missed a tackle on Burton break in the 3rd minute and just looked off the pace. In fairness, he was no worse than the rest of the Souths players who collectively were rubbish. It's been a long time since I saw a Souths performance as bad as that

To be fair that penrith side is developing into a special side, well balanced with everyone contributing. I think south's missed Benji, when they had good possession and position the wrong players ended up with the ball. And Burgess did not stand out as terrible he did his job mostly in a well beaten side. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Tom Burgess had a shocker in a dreadful, non existent Souths performance today vs Penrith. Missed a tackle on Burton break in the 3rd minute and just looked off the pace. In fairness, he was no worse than the rest of the Souths players who collectively were rubbish. It's been a long time since I saw a Souths performance as bad as that

They were shocking against Melbourne a few weeks ago.

9 hours ago, Southerner said:

Baily Hodgson:

“Newcastle is on the verge of debuting the nephew of Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. The club has written 18-year-old Baily Hodgsonhas recovered from pre-season knee surgery and is now ready for selection. He is a fullback or can line up in the centres”. 

Both Bailey and Young are named at Fullback and Centre respectively in reserve grade this week. Would've been nice to have Bailey back playing reggies a few weeks earlier as we'll be in need of a replacement fullback next round and potentially round 14 as well. Current replacement Tex Hoy has really struggled throughout the time he's spent there this season, the next couple of round might be deemed too soon for Bailey but i'm hopeful he can end up first drop as the season progresses.

Harry Rushton also named in the Raiders 21 man squad again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/05/2021 at 22:14, Southerner said:

Baily Hodgson:

“Newcastle is on the verge of debuting the nephew of Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. The club has written 18-year-old Baily Hodgsonhas recovered from pre-season knee surgery and is now ready for selection. He is a fullback or can line up in the centres”. 

Debuting? WTF language is that? Sounds very painful, like something out of Python's University of Wallamaloo. 👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

He got shifted there last week after Jamayne Isaako got hooked but Herbie has been named for his first start at fullback for Brisbane this week. 

On the Knights youngsters, Hodgson was eased back into things by only playing one half in his first reserve grade game (tactic we've used with a few players this year for whatever reason). In his second game he ran for 182 metres, while topping tackle busts count with 6 and Young also scored another try. Haven't been able to get to the games over the last few weeks so I'm yet to see Hodgson play but this week the reserve grade game is televised so I'm looking forward to getting a look at both in action together.

• Like 4

Will be good to see how Farnworth goes.

But on a side note, what on earth is Walters doing at the Broncos. Jamayne Isaako has been one of the Broncos best this year in a poor team.  He has one poor performance and he hooks him from the field and drops him from the squad. No wonder the confidence of this team is shot to pieces when the coach reacts so quickly and erratically. 

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Shot to pieces is exactly the right phrase , they look completely gone . Extremely brittle , devoid of resilience , no confidence . But you often say they must have hit rock bottom yet it just gets a bigger hole . 

This week will be interesting... Raiders and Broncos come together, two teams right at the bottom of their confidence and form.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

39 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I'm not massively surprised he's been dropped. Some of his defensive efforts and positioning is really poor. Not NRL standard at times. He's a very good ball runner, but he needs to get better in those areas or shift back to the wing. 

Agreed, his problems have absolutely nothing to do with confidence, i.e. ridiculous captains challenge, kicking out from kick-off on full, letting Dufty get underneath him for try and there was another I can`t put my finger on, but a player who lacks the ability to stay focused for the whole 80 minutes. I had big hopes for him when he first came onto the scene but at this stage he is nowhere near a first grade full-back and I`m starting to wonder whether he lacks the ability to be focused enough to play first grade.

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what does this have to do with brits in the nrl?

The Broncos are in the NRL and Farnworth is a Brit who now gets a chance at fullback.

So it's Brits in the NRL.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The Broncos are in the NRL and Farnworth is a Brit who now gets a chance at fullback.

So it's Brits in the NRL.

ok thought it was drifting in to an isaako  thread 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

ok thought it was drifting in to an isaako  thread 

No we are fine.

But these threads do drift a little, like when you posted earlier that you had a Mastiff loose in your garden on the Kevin Shinfield to Leicester thread which I am not 100% sure was on topic.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, DavidM said:

A blackbird came into my kitchen as I was eating a jam tart 

male or female? what flavour jam?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I'm not massively surprised he's been dropped. Some of his defensive efforts and positioning is really poor. Not NRL standard at times. He's a very good ball runner, but he needs to get better in those areas or shift back to the wing. 

I was going to say this too, he has been pretty terrible defensively. 

I think it's harsh to say Isaako has been poor defensively, who hasn't been in the Broncos this year.

He has been the most dangerous player the Broncos have had for me, at least he worries the opposition defence every now and again unlike the rest of their spine.

But I am happy to see Farnworth get a run.

• Like 1