Brits in the NRL

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well he's the England manager so just have a guess who he works for......🤔🤔, Google their details and address the email to him - hey presto you have contacted the England manager with your question.

I couldn't find his direct email address. 

The main thing that confuses me is the fact that, despite claiming that he wants to win the World Cup, Wane hasn't selected the best available squad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

The main thing that confuses me is the fact that, despite claiming that he wants to win the World Cup, Wane hasn't selected the best available squad. 

He’s too stubborn to admit he’s wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Robertson said:

Who’s missing/shouldn’t be in the best available squad? 

2 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

Just email the RFL and ask for your comments to be sent onto him.

1 hour ago, MrPosh said:

I suspect it's disciplinary. Late or missing meetings.

Or not being able to access the internet to access such meetings. Perhaps Wane thinks that the internet is infallible and it’s the individual’s fault that technology doesn’t always work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who’s missing/shouldn’t be in the best available squad? 

Farnworth should be in the squad.

I would have him in my starting 13 but I can (loosely) accept an argument to say that he's not quite there yet.

I don't think there's any convincing argument to say that Farnworth is outside of the top 15 (or so) full backs or three-quarters available to England.

If it's a (specific) discipline/'behaviour' issue, I'm extremely surprised that the Aussie media didn't pick up the story. 

If he missed a (virtual) meeting - does Wane have proof that Farnworth didn't have technical issues? Australia is not known for having a high-quality internet connection.

I think that Farnworth is the best option that England have in terms of covering '1 to 5'. That alone should have him (at least) in the squad.

Before I'm greeted with laughter from some - please suggest a better England player who can play full back, centre or wing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

Clearly, what's wrong with Wane is that he has not selected the player(s) you think he should have. Perhaps he and his advisors have not looked in as much detail as you have. Farnworth not a friend or relative by any chance?

https://www.shaunwane.com/

You should be able to contact him via LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaunwane?originalSubdomain=uk

Edited by JohnM

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Clearly, what's wrong with Wane is that he has not selected the player(s) you think he should have. Perhaps he and his advisors have not looked in as much detail as you have. Farnworth not a friend or relative by any chance?

https://www.shaunwane.com/

You should be able to contact him via LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaunwane?originalSubdomain=uk

I've had several conversations, over the years, with one of the individuals but it's not Farnworth.

FWIW, I'm also a Wigan fan who thinks that Wane did a great job at the club. I just disagree with him on this one.

30 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's slightly more complicated than that.  Farnworth was selected then stood down with the vague explanation of "The players know the standards expected of them as England players. Herbie’s standards have dipped below what I expect."

What we're those standards? Playing, behaviour? It would be nice to know and if he continues to play well is there any way back in... would seem not as other outside backs were recently added.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

It's slightly more complicated than that.  Farnworth was selected then stood down with the vague explanation of "The players know the standards expected of them as England players. Herbie’s standards have dipped below what I expect."

What we're those standards? Playing, behaviour? It would be nice to know and if he continues to play well is there any way back in... would seem not as other outside backs were recently added.

I rate Farnworth and agree he is good enough to be in the squad. However, there's nothing wrong with a coach setting high standards  for his players, especially international players, then following through if someone doesn't meet those standards

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I rate Farnworth and agree he is good enough to be in the squad. However, there's nothing wrong with a coach setting high standards  for his players, especially international players, then following through if someone doesn't meet those standards

I agree. But I would like to know what standards he has let slip. Are they on the field or has he failed to adhere to some process or schedule off the field.  As a fan of England it would be nice to have some insight.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree. But I would like to know what standards he has let slip. Are they on the field or has he failed to adhere to some process or schedule off the field.  As a fan of England it would be nice to have some insight.

At this stage, it’s pretty immaterial as there’s a long way until the World Cup and lots can change. I’m comfortable that he’s made a decision based on standards that have been outlined (I expect it is off field) and those within the group know what’s expected and Farnworth knows why he’s fallen short. 

If he doesn’t make the World Cup squad and there’s still no explanation then I think fans have a right to ask the question why

30 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

If he doesn’t make the World Cup squad and there’s still no explanation then I think fans have a right to ask the question why

IIRC Farnworth was dropped after there was a Zoom meeting between Wane and the Australian based English players.

At the time I wondered whether he was either late or didn`t make that appointment, hence earning your national coaches ire. Nothing to do with his form.

Edited by The Rocket

As long as he has a chance to get back in , that’s all that matters . I hope he’s had that communicated to him . Purely on the playing side there’s just no way in the universe he’s not in that squad on merit 

• Like 1

I may be wrong (don't say it. 😄) but I think Wane might know stuff about this that we don't. To what extent should he explain his reasoning on this or anything else, to us, the fans?  

The feeling that Farnworth should be in the squad seems to be really irritating some posters more than seems normal. 

Yes he's stubborn and will stick to his informed decisions. Why wouldn't he?

Personally think that Wayne's strategy and his ability to get his squad to play to that is as important, if not more important than the choice of an individual and marginal player

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Does holding your own in a really poor NRL team automatically qualify you for Test selection?

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

On here it does apparently.

One of nuances of representative selection is that you have to separate the individual from the team performance and judge the former on its merit. 

And I have to say that hearing complaints on here for years that selections are confined to the big teams at the top of the table, it is a little ironic to dismiss a player due to the poor form of his team.

• Like 1