Brits in the NRL

42 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Does holding your own in a really poor NRL team automatically qualify you for Test selection?

There’s not many broncos holding their place the way Kevvie chops and changes . Farnworth does hold his own even in that rubbish team , it’d be interesting seeing him in a better side . I think he has the athleticism you want , and it also gives him versatility . I reckon centre may not even be his spot . He  has the attributes to full back , and can obviously play on the wing . I like Toby King , I like Harry Newman  , I like Johnstone they play here . I’m looking for different to what we’ve put out before 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Farnworth has half a season left to force his way in. Wane is obviously challenging him to be better, so now it's up to him.

He wasn't dropped for his playing performance. Perhaps Wane is challenging him to get a better broadband provider. 

• Like 1

Just now, burnleywelsh said:

He wasn't dropped for his playing performance. Perhaps Wane is challenging him to get a better broadband provider. 

Challenging him to be better isn't just about on the field. I have no idea what you're on about, but I'm assuming you're saying he missed a team meeting because his internet was down... And that sounds like a rubbish excuse to me. He doesn't have mobile data? He can't make an international call? 

Anyway, whatever, I don't care. I like Farnworth and just think regardless of the reason, the ball is in his court. He's got the ability so now he just has to convince Wane to pick him. It's pretty simple.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

There’s not many broncos holding their place the way Kevvie chops and changes . Farnworth does hold his own even in that rubbish team , it’d be interesting seeing him in a better side . I think he has the athleticism you want , and it also gives him versatility . I reckon centre may not even be his spot . He  has the attributes to full back , and can obviously play on the wing . I like Toby King , I like Harry Newman  , I like Johnstone they play here . I’m looking for different to what we’ve put out before 

My point wasn’t about the Broncos,it’s the fact I’ve yet to see him dominate or even outplay his opposite number,yes he’s done ok and been solid but is that what England need when picking players to directly oppose the likes of Mitchell,T.Turbo etc.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

My point wasn’t about the Broncos,it’s the fact I’ve yet to see him dominate or even outplay his opposite number,yes he’s done ok and been solid but is that what England need when picking players to directly oppose the likes of Mitchell,T.Turbo etc.

I'm definitely not putting Farnworth in the category of Turbo or Mitchell. I, for one, have never claimed that. However, Farnworth is better than most of the backs picked in the England squad. That is my point.

Edit: If we're only picking players who are better than their Australian counterparts, we're not going to have a very big squad. That is a point that I, and others, have previously made.

Edited by Alan Robertson
Extra info
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t think that many of Farnworth’s supporters on here would claim that he is outplaying or dominating the likes of Mitchell. What he is doing is playing against these players week in week out and as you say has been solid. Which, I think, is a lot more than his SL centre counterparts are doing. I wonder how the likes of Reece Lynne et al would get on. It’s them I am comparing him to. I’ve not seen many of the centres in SL, who have been selected, dominate their opposite numbers. And I can’t see any of them outplaying their Aussie oppos.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I thought Farnworth was good in the game I watched against the Raiders, in a really poor side. Not great, and not in the top 5 NRL fullbacks I have seen in the last week, but not hopeless by any means. He may develop in time to be a really good player, or do a Sutton, and cement his place as an NRL top 17 player. I remain unconvinced that he is a better 1 than Tomkins or Hardaker or a better centre than Percival, Gildart, Newman or King, but he may be as good as those centres. 

Again, everything I have seen over many years makes me doubt the assumption that any NRL starter is bound to be better than the best of SL. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I thought Farnworth was good in the game I watched against the Raiders, in a really poor side. Not great, and not in the top 5 NRL fullbacks I have seen in the last week, but not hopeless by any means. He may develop in time to be a really good player, or do a Sutton, and cement his place as an NRL top 17 player. I remain unconvinced that he is a better 1 than Tomkins or Hardaker or a better centre than Percival, Gildart, Newman or King, but he may be as good as those centres. 

Again, everything I have seen over many years makes me doubt the assumption that any NRL starter is bound to be better than the best of SL. 

If you watched the game, you would have seen that Farnworth was on the wing, not full back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Far worth’s certainly worthy of a place in the squad, he’d possibly force his way into the starting line up on the Left Wing or at a push in the Left Centre.

Equally I’d start considering Welsby as a bolster for the England squad as he offers just as much size & versatility as Farnworth.

Tomkins Makinson Percival King Johnstone is a decent backline with size & pace but you could drop in Farnworth or Welsby in any position and we’d still be strong

The real concern should be not that Herbert Farnworth is not in the game days 17, which have not yet been selected. The concern should be that he is not even in the squad!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

This is strawman argument. Most people look at individuals on a case by case basis and the only people who keep repeating this are the people who seem to not rate Farnworth. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If you watched the game, you would have seen that Farnworth was on the wing, not full back.

I had watched the game with the sound off, and saw that he had 1 on his back I fast forwarded to when Brisbane had the ball, so saw his taking it out of defence I assumed they had an odd formation for kick returns. 

Edited to remove toollish comment from me. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This is strawman argument. Most people look at individuals on a case by case basis and the only people who keep repeating this are the people who seem to not rate Farnworth. 

I don’t know how long you have watched the game, but it is based on purely logical reasoning. I have seen lots of players selected to play for England based on their form in the Australian competition, and cannot recall a single one whom I had not seen over here who made me think that the NRL was producing better England qualified players than our competition. Hence my argument is simple - I would counsel caution in assuming that Sutton, say, has become a better player than the middle of road squad player that we see. We can call this the Josh Hodgson Principle if you like. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I had watched the game with the sound off, and saw that he had 1 on his back I fast forwarded to when Brisbane had the ball, so saw his taking it out of defence I assumed they had an odd formation for kick returns. 

Are you honestly suggesting I pretended to watch the game? God, what a tool 

Just pointing out that you ranked Farnworth's performance against the other full backs in the NRL this week despite the fact he didn't play full back.

And look, I managed to say that without throwing insults around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As mentioned previously I got to watch Bailey Hodgson go around in reserve grade this week, was quite happy with what I saw. He didn't really get the chance to inject himself into many attacking plays as our side kept making easy linebreaks through their middle in the first half, however he was continuously sniffing around the ruck and supporting every time someone broke through the line.

In addition to his workrate, other elements of his performance that were really impressive included his strength and footwork. Yet again he topped the tackle bust count with 7 as stepped or shrugged off defenders all game, as a particular example he managed to bump off an opposition prop to get out of our in-goal at a crucial time in the game where they were making an unlikely comeback. There's been talk this morning from the main local journalist that covers the Knights saying Bailey may be named in the first-grade squad next week as cover for Ponga who attempts to return from a groin injury.

On Dom, as I'm sure many of you saw he was excellent out of his favoured position on the weekend. Always keen to take hitups coming out of our end and he put up probably the best defensive performance from a winger we've had this season. I'm fairly sure that will be his spot to lose now until Edrick Lee comes back (which may not happen soon if ever), and he looks like he'll improve each week as his fitness increases.

• Like 6

Brits in the NRL so far this week.

Tom Burgess came off the bench and ran for 150+ metres against the Broncos.  Farnworth again tried hard for Brisbane (100+ metres) but had few opportunities in attack in a well beaten side.

Dom Young was pretty solid on the wing for Newcastle in their tight win against the Warriors.

I thought Hodgson was good in the Raiders tight loss to the Dragons... at least until he came away from dummy half and started playing half back.  Sutton was solid but Whitehead was unusually sloppy in defence with Ben Hunt making a few breaks down his edge.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dom will be disappointed he didn’t make that tackle on Aitken after running him down 

I know.  He put on the afterburners and caught him pretty easily.  If anything he attempted the tackle too soon.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

So, 1,500+ posts later, how many Brits are currently in the NRL?

I count Thompson, Burgess, Whitehead,  Sutton and Hodgson.

Five?

Plus Dominic Young and Herbie Farnworth. 

And Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rusthon who are in the top 30 squads for Newcastle and Canberra but yet to make their debut.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Plus Dominic Young and Herbie Farnworth. 

And Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rusthon who are in the top 30 squads for Newcastle and Canberra but yet to make their debut.

And soon to be Widdop by the sounds of it