Brits in the NRL

He’s a kid , thrown into first grade in a struggling outfit ahead of his time due to injuries . What are we expecting ? Everything now is just great experience and money in the bank for later . He’s got a long way to go , this is hardly news . What we’ve seen is that the raw materials are there to build upon 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2021 at 10:43, Saint Toppy said:

I just don't see anything special in Young to be honest. He always looks really ponderous and his positioning is poor. Huddersfield fans were raving about him a few seasons ago when he played against Saints, but he was absolutely awful that day with numerous dropped balls, missed tackles and poor positioning, with him at fault for several of the Saints try's.

He's getting his chance at the moment to show what he can do in the NRL but he's got a very long way to go.

He was what, 16 maybe just turned 17 years old the day he played against Sts, he’s still only 19 years old now!

He stands 6’6” and as a youngster he hadn’t then and still hasn’t yet grown into his frame, very much like the Senior twins at 6’5”. Young athletes at that height and build won’t gain the full core strength until much later than smaller athletes.

Staying with Young, playing against The Cowboys this morning  he scored two good try’s, laid another one on a plate with a superb backhand flick offload, laid the last pass on for Kalyn  Pongas try & ran for around 180mtrs

Not bad for a 19 year old trying his hand in the NRL

Edited by OMEGA
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Staying with Young, he scored two good try’s and laid another one on a plate with a superb backhand flick offload playing against The Cowboys this morning 

He laid on both of Ponga's tries, and Ponga did the same for Young's brace.

That was only Dom's 4th NRL game with the Knights also having a tough time this season, and he certainly shows his inexperience at times. I think some of their injured players are close to returning, though, and this could see Young playing winger to Bradman Best's centre.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Very pleased to see Dom Young do so well . Hopefully he keeps his spot . Herbie put in a very strong performance for Brisbane , ridiculous if he’s kept out in the cold

Well I did notice he was out of position defensively a couple of times 😉 The Combined Nations of the All Star Kingdom would have ripped him to shreds.

I think you can see from his game that Dom Young will be a very good centre.  His flick pass for Ponga's first try was quality skill for a player in his first few games.

Getting some first grade game time on the wing is good but I want to see him develop as a top class right centre.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

We could in two years have a really strong choice at centre…

King, Farnworth, Young, Wardle, Newman et al. 

Just need them to keep developing (and get selected)…

You missed out Currie

I thought Tom Burgess, Ryan Sutton and Luke Thompson were all good in the middle of the park this week.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 weeks later...

Bulldogs prop Luke Thompson just about ticked every single stat box in a sensational performance on Sunday that had it all.

The Englishman scored a try, set up another, ran for 190 metres, had nine tackle busts, two linebreaks, one offload, 25 tackles… and a sin-bin.

His most stunning moment came in the 56th minute when he broke through Cronulla’s defence, beating four players before sending Jake Averillo over for a try.

“That is absolutely amazing. Luke Thompson, rampant, rampaging and almost ridiculous,” Andrew Voss said.

from FoxSport

Edited by Farmduck
  • Like 2

I am informed by the stats that pop up on the right hand side of this page on my laptop view that I have made more posts in this thread than the next three people put together.  I guess that goes some way to demonstrating how much I enjoy the NRL and love seeing Brits do well over there.

But after the events of the last week or so I won't be watching any more NRL for the foreseeable future and so I will just hope the established Brits carry on doing well and the likes of Dom Young, Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rushton fulfill their potential.

I hope things change (as I hope the NRL reverses it's one eyed view on the World Cup and International Rugby League), in which case I will be back and chatting about all things NRL.  But not until then.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am informed by the stats that pop up on the right hand side of this page on my laptop view that I have made more posts in this thread than the next three people put together.  I guess that goes some way to demonstrating how much I enjoy the NRL and love seeing Brits do well over there.

But after the events of the last week or so I won't be watching any more NRL for the foreseeable future and so I will just hope the established Brits carry on doing well and the likes of Dom Young, Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rushton fulfill their potential.

I hope things change (as I hope the NRL reverses it's one eyed view on the World Cup and International Rugby League), in which case I will be back and chatting about all things NRL.  But not until then.

I have to say my enjoyment of the NRL was on the wane due mainly to the raft of rule changes but after the World Cup stitch up its holding even less appeal.

I’ll watch my team the Roosters when on Sky & maybe the Raiders but that will be it I’m afraid,what a sad state of affairs.

• Like 2