Brits in the NRL

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Decent finish to the season for Herbie Farnworth and the Broncos.

Herbie has taken over the kicking duties these past few weeks with a pretty good success rate. 5 from 6 conversion attempts today

I'm a Knights supporter through and through but if I had the opportunity to pick between the much lauded Bradman Best and Herbie, I would almost certainly take Herbie. I truly believe the sky is the limit with respect to where he can end up in the game and I look forward to seeing what he can do in what should be a much improved Broncos outfit next season. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Herbie has taken over the kicking duties these past few weeks with a pretty good success rate. 5 from 6 conversion attempts today

The extra year to the World Cup will do Farnworth no harm at all. If he continues his development over the next year or two he will be some player - and in a position England really struggles with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

He`s got to learn to pass to his winger more though. I`d noticed it in past games and even on today`s radio call the commentators said Xavier Coates was visibly frustrated a couple of times when he didn`t pass. Other than I agree, great potential, no coincidence that both the Storm and Roosters have approached him.

• Like 1

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/09/04/r25-highlights-broncos-v-knights/

30 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

He`s got to learn to pass to his winger more though. I`d noticed it in past games and even on today`s radio call the commentators said Xavier Coates was visibly frustrated a couple of times when he didn`t pass. Other than I agree, great potential, no coincidence that both the Storm and Roosters have approached him.

Oates is his wing partner I thought.

Herbie voted McDonalds man of the Match.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

In that case, the radio commentators needed to be able to tell the difference between Farnworth and Selwyn Cobbo. Or, perhaps, they couldn't tell the difference between Coates and Oates.

Either way, Coates played outside Cobbo.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tom Burgess ran for 212 metres in a mammoth effort for Souths against Penrith today.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Tom Burgess has really kicked on in the absence of his brothers. He’s now playing at a level that I believe is above that of which George was playing when he was at his best.

In Walmsley and Tom Burgess we have two of the best Prop forwards in the world complimented further by Thompson and quite possibly joined by Matty Lees or Mikalai Oledski. 

Thats not a bad front row rotation for an international team!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Tom Burgess has really kicked on in the absence of his brothers. He’s now playing at a level that I believe is above that of which George was playing when he was at his best.

In Walmsley and Tom Burgess we have two of the best Prop forwards in the world complimented further by Thompson and quite possibly joined by Matty Lees or Mikalai Oledski. 

He has been consistently very good this year and today as the intensity ramped up in the finals his performance against the Penrith pack was superb. 

James Fisher-Harris has been (rightly) lauded as the best prop in the NRL this year but Burgess completely outplayed him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

No wonder the Aussies chickened out of the World Cup. :kolobok_cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

tom burgess has been awesome this year - his best season so far 

Really? 

I have to disagree, I think he was better in the previous couple of seasons. He’s had quite a few underwhelming games this year; he hadn’t made the impact as a starting prop in a number of games, hence being benched. But his defence has been more concerning, he’s looked less mobile and has been exposed numerous times around the ruck. 

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Really? 

I have to disagree, I think he was better in the previous couple of seasons. He’s had quite a few underwhelming games this year; he hadn’t made the impact as a starting prop in a number of games, hence being benched. But his defence has been more concerning, he’s looked less mobile and has been exposed numerous times around the ruck. 

I have to disagree with this as well.  I think he has had his best year, not least because he is assuming the role as a leader in the pack.  2020 and 2021 have been his best for run metres per game while his missed tackles are down and tackle busts up this year so his game is improving year on year.

In the modern game, playing off the interchange bench is not being 'benched' as if some kind of performance issue... it is just that the coach sees you having an impact there.  The Rabbitohs have a better win record this year when he comes off the bench and so he is clearly having a positive effect there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have to disagree with this as well.  I think he has had his best year, not least because he is assuming the role as a leader in the pack.  2020 and 2021 have been his best for run metres per game while his missed tackles are down and tackle busts up this year so his game is improving year on year.

In the modern game, playing off the interchange bench is not being 'benched' as if some kind of performance issue... it is just that the coach sees you having an impact there.  The Rabbitohs have a better win record this year when he comes off the bench and so he is clearly having a positive effect there. 

I agree he’s better off the bench, which is why Bennett has reverted to that. Him and Tatola were superb starting last year. This year he hasn’t had the impact starting and has been targeted around the ruck, getting exposed. It helps him coming on later as the opposition is less fresh to take advantage of his lateral immobility.

His missed tackles maybe down but the ones he has missed have generally been critical this year

I think Bennet has got the mix better, starting Nichols and Burgess on the bench. Nichols doing better and then Tom coming on after the opposition has been softened up a bit, working well. When it was reversed Nichols coming off the bench had less impact, but he's been steady when starting.

Edited by FearNothing

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to Tom Burgess for getting to another NRL Grand Final.  Again, his contribution off the bench was significant and helped give the Rabbitohs some momentum through the middle of the park against Manly.

He will need another big effort next week against the Panthers, as he did in week 1.

On a side note, just realised that this is my 10,000th post on this forum so quite fitting it is the Brits in the NRL thread which is probably my most visited conversation.

Let's see if I can get to 20,000... my wife is bound to realise that I am not studying for an online Masters degree soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3