Brits in the NRL

31 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I have a feeling the Catalan fitness coach will end up at the dolphins with Bennet

I see Cats are still chasing Pearce. Same money as Maloney.  If the Knights get chance another half back I think he’ll come to SL.  I was hoping it was to Hull mind!

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I see Cats are still chasing Pearce. Same money as Maloney.  If the Knights get chance another half back I think he’ll come to SL.  I was hoping it was to Hull mind!

As a Knights fan I can't see us budging on him for 2022 as there aren't any decent halves on the market to replace him.

The only way I could see it happening would be locking Bailey Hodgson into the 1 and moving Ponga to 6, as Hodgson has only played a handful of games in the last few seasons I think this move would be long odds to happen for 22. The uncertainty around Pongas future at the club further clouds this long-term depth so I don't think it'll happen. 

Think Cats could dodge a bullet there too, Pearce is okay but his best days are well behind him and his athleticism is decreasing fairly rapidly. Though he's not actually that old he's been in first grade since he was 17 and his game relies that aforementioned athleticism to a decent degree. I definitely don't think he'll be with us from 23 onward.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That's one way of looking at it.  I would prefer to see it as more opportunities for young players to shine and excel across different competitions drawing in more youngsters.  If the top of the pathway is limited then by definition the input is also limited... you only take in as many as you need to satisfy the demand you have, that is a basic principle of capacity planning.

As for the NRL having no interest in the wider game, the history of Rugby League is  history of self preservation and the desire to be a big fish in the pond... the NRL is no worse than what we have seen over here when it comes to self serving attitudes. 

I disagree. Our game has a long tradition of considering international competition to be the pinnacle of the game. We have never before been in a position where one competition has such financial power and influence it can take anybody from anywhere. We have never before been in a position in which a league can dictate if and when any internationals are played. The scenario of doom for the game outside Australia is one in which they sign up any talented youngsters and all of the top talent, play them or hoard them (and they will soon have 18 clubs, so the potential for both is clearly there), while the world outside is left with the scraps. 

Having successfully gone “nah, don’t fancy it” to this year’s World Cup, next time it will be even easier. Give them a couple of years and they will have their own international calendar, with England and France “allowed” to arrange their own fixtures not including any NRL players. As a sport, we will have become the NFL. 

Which might be sort of ok as far as long time fans like us are concerned, as we can sell tickets, and pay some decent quality players, but we can forget anyone ever seeing a Hanley or Schofield, a Boston or a Myler playing most of their careers over here. 

Losing our quality youngsters is even more pernicious than our top players being cherry picked. But we better get used to it, because they have the money and, like the former President used to say to inspire his fans, they will use it to build a wall around themselves.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I disagree. Our game has a long tradition of considering international competition to be the pinnacle of the game. We have never before been in a position where one competition has such financial power and influence it can take anybody from anywhere. We have never before been in a position in which a league can dictate if and when any internationals are played. The scenario of doom for the game outside Australia is one in which they sign up any talented youngsters and all of the top talent, play them or hoard them (and they will soon have 18 clubs, so the potential for both is clearly there), while the world outside is left with the scraps. 

Having successfully gone “nah, don’t fancy it” to this year’s World Cup, next time it will be even easier. Give them a couple of years and they will have their own international calendar, with England and France “allowed” to arrange their own fixtures not including any NRL players. As a sport, we will have become the NFL. 

Which might be sort of ok as far as long time fans like us are concerned, as we can sell tickets, and pay some decent quality players, but we can forget anyone ever seeing a Hanley or Schofield, a Boston or a Myler playing most of their careers over here. 

Losing our quality youngsters is even more pernicious than our top players being cherry picked. But we better get used to it, because they have the money and, like the former President used to say to inspire his fans, they will use it to build a wall around themselves.

On another thread on here, we are discussing the fact that England will once again be playing the Combined Nations All Stars next year when we could just as easily be playing France or Wales or Scotland... or even Jamaica.

I don't recall the Aussies ever saying they would rather play the NRL All Stars than a national team because they think it will be a closer game.

I don't like what the NRL has done to the World Cup that was due to start in two days time but to say they are unique in the world of Rugby League is way off the mark.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Amazing statistic for Dominic Young who is by no means a lightweight.

Farnworth and Young might just be a feared England pairing for the years ahead.  Big year, maybe even breakthrough, for both of them coming up.

Two very good athletes with big futures.

While Farnworth played most of 2021 in the centre and Young on the wing, for England they could be more effective the other way around.

Farnworth's carries bringing the ball away from the line are very good, he has size and footwork which means he typically gets a quick play the ball. Add the speed and he is a good winger but less of a classic centre.

Young on the other hand could be a very good right centre. For a big man he has subtle hands and has shown a talent for getting his winger away.

Looking forward to seeing how they both develop next year.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Farnworth and Young have the size and strength that we have been looking for at centre for years. Indeed ever since Australia and the NRL really pushed on with the calibre of athletes that they have playing the game we have never really caught up. Gleeson and Senior are perhaps the only two real quality centres we have had since the early 90s.

While the likes of Gildart and Percival may be decent SL centres they just don't have the size and strength to deal with the other top nations outside backs. Both don't fill me with confidence defensively and have flaws. The other nations have backs with not just the skill and speed but also brute size and strength and England have to be able to match that.

Its certainly exciting times for the England team and its great to have so many options out wide. That was practically unthinkable for much of the last 20 years.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Two very good athletes with big futures.

While Farnworth played most of 2021 in the centre and Young on the wing, for England they could be more effective the other way around.

Farnworth's carries bringing the ball away from the line are very good, he has size and footwork which means he typically gets a quick play the ball. Add the speed and he is a good winger but less of a classic centre.

Young on the other hand could be a very good right centre. For a big man he has subtle hands and has shown a talent for getting his winger away.

Looking forward to seeing how they both develop next year.

Could be and it’s an interesting suggestion.  Decision making will probably be the key to either switching roles but neither will get much quicker, just more intelligent in how they use it.  

Centre is a very skilled position imo and involves an unselfish mindset at times.  Farnworth appeared to be developing that last year.

Of course, we still have to consider all the errors, dropped balls, etc etc, etc that Young has every game.

8 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Could be and it’s an interesting suggestion.  Decision making will probably be the key to either switching roles but neither will get much quicker, just more intelligent in how they use it.  

Centre is a very skilled position imo and involves an unselfish mindset at times.  Farnworth appeared to be developing that last year.

Of course, we still have to consider all the errors, dropped balls, etc etc, etc that Young has every game.

I think we need to be a little bit less worried about Young's errors than is stated on here.  Yes, he made some errors last year but he was a 19 year old playing in the NRL so we have to cut him a bit of slack.

To put it into context, Tom Trbojevic made more errors per game on average than Young last year and he ran away with the Dally M medal as NRL player of the year.

14 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Amazing statistic for Dominic Young who is by no means a lightweight.

Farnworth and Young might just be a feared England pairing for the years ahead.  Big year, maybe even breakthrough, for both of them coming up.

The extra year for our young NRL centres along with the young SL guys like Newman and Welsby could prove in terms of the team on the pitch to be our greatest benefit from the years delay to the World Cup.

Young has stated his allegiance to Jamaica but that was more at a time when he would have been a squad depth or left at home guy, if he forces his way to the front of the queue for a team with realistic chances to win the competition he would likely take it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think we need to be a little bit less worried about Young's errors than is stated on here.  Yes, he made some errors last year but he was a 19 year old playing in the NRL so we have to cut him a bit of slack.

To put it into context, Tom Trbojevic made more errors per game on average than Young last year and he ran away with the Dally M medal as NRL player of the year.

Lighten up mate, it was written tongue in cheek based on previous comments.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/nrls-fastest-man-newcastles-dominic-young-tipped-to-run-down-the-foxx/news-story/d9fbdebcdf9afc7277a1f256a8398fea

Article about Dom Young that provides some really positive insight into his work ethic. We recently poached the Panthers/NSW Origin Head of performance and he makes a few comments about his potential. 

His obvious speed aside, the element in that article that has impressed me the most is Dom coming 4th in our initial pre-season fitness testing and being only one second behind first. A 6'7" 107kg bloke leading the way in fitness testing would be extremely rare and indicates to me that Dom clearly has the work ethic to make the most of his talent. Very excited for him to hopefully get a full season of footy in next season.

• Like 6

As the article above is behind a paywall, this article by Serious About Rugby League summarises it.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/englishman-set-to-become-fastest-man-in-the-nrl-46179/

• Thanks 2

On 21/10/2021 at 19:57, The Rocket said:

Was going to comment on this in my original post but I thought it was a little off topic The Sharks have signed a player from the Australian unions evens team, Lachlan Miller, the Cowboys two from Fijian sevens union and I think I read about another one elsewhere. I don`t recall this happening before. 

Makes me wonder if it was the success of the womens` union sevens players in League that have made the coaches have a look or maybe they just think they`ll be suited to the faster game. 

I heard an interview with Miller on our local radio - he`s from Coffs Harbour - he thought the quick decision making that is part of sevens could help his transition to League, interesting, apparently 3 or 4 clubs were after him.

I went to school with Miller. He played league and union for both the school and club footy on weekends. Not much of a transition required. 

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

I went to school with Miller. He played league and union for both the school and club footy on weekends. Not much of a transition required. 

That doesn't mean no transition is needed. As we have seen time and again even RL players that have gone to Union and come back have been largely terrible and pale imitations of the player they once were. This is a guy who wasn't good enough to get a gig in the NRL the first time around who is again trying to make it.

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

The eels really are making some terrible decisions. Hodgson is already looking past his best. In another 12 months he could be looking very old.

Yeah definitely a surprise - i'd have been dubious about him getting a new deal back in SL at 33 but a contract for a new NRL club is slightly baffling.  His time to move was the start of last season. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Copa said:

Whitehead is the Raiders captain in 2022.

lets hope hes fit and in form for the wc- although if we dont get used to playing with scrums again anytime soon we will be wasting our time 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile