Brits in the NRL

He's off contract at the end of 2022, this is just the usual tactic of trying to ramp up interest. 

If he has spent the best part of the last 10 years trying to fulfil his dream of becoming an NRL player, I can't see him leaving now when he seen as one of the league's top young talent.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

33 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Do you know if he has an urge to try top level union or wants to make it to the very top in league or (understandably) would go where the money is?

Of course a very simplified question for a difficult position for him but just wondered if there was any burning desire either way.

He could’ve signed for a union club by now. He’s been on the RU radar since his school days. He is RL through and through. His desire to make it in the NRL was evident from a very early age. That’s why he declined offers from SL clubs. He’s worked incredibly hard to follow his dream, making it through the Aussie system.

Who knows what the future will bring? Personal circumstances change. All his family are still in England. If he does come back during his playing career, I doubt that it will be to an SL side. But, then again, his personal circumstances could see him remain in Australia.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

He could’ve signed for a union club by now. He’s been on the RU radar since his school days. He is RL through and through. His desire to make it in the NRL was evident from a very early age. That’s why he declined offers from SL clubs. He’s worked incredibly hard to follow his dream, making it through the Aussie system.

Who knows what the future will bring? Personal circumstances change. All his family are still in England. If he does come back during his playing career, I doubt that it will be to an SL side. But, then again, his personal circumstances could see him remain in Australia.

he still has a hell of a lot to prove in the nrl before he deserves any sort of reputation to trade on 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I think a move to the Dolphins is more likely. After spending so much time and effort making his way through the systems at the Broncos, and just starting to make his way in the NRL, a code switch seems a bit odd.

Obviously things change, so who knows. But I would be quite surprised if he did switch. Also bitterly disappointed. He could form a very long and fruitful England partnership with any of the other young centres we have coming through at the moment. Newman, Wardle, Young and Farnworth. Potentially great options to have for an England coach over the next few years.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

he still has a hell of a lot to prove in the nrl before he deserves any sort of reputation to trade on 

I don’t think he’s got anything to prove to the RU mob. They’ve been after him since he was a kid. Being voted best back (Broncos award night) at an NRL side is not a bad accolade I would have thought. I agree that he’s not reached his potential yet. Plenty more to come. Would help if they didn’t keep playing him in different positions, left centre, right centre, wings….Trouble is, he can do a job wherever he plays and Broncos utilise him as such when they haven’t had a settled three quarters for the last few years. Would love to see him get a run in his favoured fullback role. He might get that if he jumped ship to the Dolphins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Considering he’s only just turned 22 and has over 40 NRL games under his belt,I’d say he’s had a good start to his career & should continue to get better.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2022 at 20:07, Anita Bath said:

Best back at Broncos is hardly an accolade…..I think i could have made the top 3!

Getting a regular spot in a top League 1 side requires you to be a good player and a step up from a good amateur player never mind an NRL side. Getting into a NRL first grade squad is extremely difficult never mind playing regularly and winning best back.

Have you played RL?

If Farnworth wanted to go to Union he could have done so by now. When Wigan were after him, amongst other teams, Union certainly was. He went to Australia to prove himself and be the best player he could be in the best environment. He is still a long, long way off achieving that goal. That's not to say he hasn't done well to date, he has, but he has so much more to achieve in the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Getting a regular spot in a top League 1 side requires you to be a good player and a step up from a good amateur player never mind an NRL side. Getting into a NRL first grade squad is extremely difficult never mind playing regularly and winning best back.

Have you played RL?

I didn’t say he wasn’t any good, I was suggesting  that to be a good player he perhaps needs to be judged by standards higher than what the broncos put out. Last season they were woeful….again.

Good luck to the lad….he deserves to play in a better team where standards are higher.

I was worried for Gildart nailing down a starting spot at centre but you can almost tell looking at Wests social media they realise they've got some player there. He seems to be really integrating himself into the playing squad as well, certainly off the field anyway. 

Hastings will go well without looking spectacular is my view - that's due in part to the heavily structured nature of the NRL but also because I still think Wests will be struggling to make the top 8 this year. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I was worried for Gildart nailing down a starting spot at centre but you can almost tell looking at Wests social media they realise they've got some player there. He seems to be really integrating himself into the playing squad as well, certainly off the field anyway. 

I think you are probably right to be worried.  Can see him back in SL within two years tbh

Just an update of all 'Brits in the NRL' for the coming season. Please feel free to add/point out anybody I may have missed. 

Elliot Whitehead

Josh Hodgson

Ryan Sutton 

Harry Rushton 

Dom Young 

Bailey Hodgson

Herbie Farnworth

Luke Thompson

Thomas Burgess 

George Burgess 

Oliver Gildart 

Players who may qualify for England at the World Cup, so you might also want to keep an eye out for......

Jackson Hastings 

Campbell Graham 

Sam Walker 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Players who may qualify for England at the World Cup, so you might also want to keep an eye out for......

Jackson Hastings 

Campbell Graham 

Sam Walker 

graham and walker will have been brainwashed by the origin hype so much over there  thats the only rep shirt they will be interested in - unfortunately!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Hastings will go well without looking spectacular is my view - that's due in part to the heavily structured nature of the NRL but also because I still think Wests will be struggling to make the top 8 this year. 

Hopefully they keep him fit and add some bulk without losing any speed or agility.

He has not imo as a Wigan fan got close to his potential for a long term and from an England perspective I  hope  this move he had been angling for from a long time ago will unlock the best of him.