Brits in the NRL

27 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He was very lucky to just end up with that fine - could easily see how that was a banning 'tackle' and with his previous it could've been a few. 

Not sure which it was mate.  The first, saw the Knights player wince and then have a go at Thompson the 2nd was later on.  I suppose a positive is that he got through it uninjured. 

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Not sure which it was mate.  The first, saw the Knights player wince and then have a go at Thompson the 2nd was later on.  I suppose a positive is that he got through it uninjured. 

I didn't see the other tackle but the fine is definitely for the challenge on Daniel Saifiti.  Hip drop following his grab from behind Saifiti.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Really unlucky for Bailey Hodgson who has had to have surgery to repair a fractured left elbow.

Dom Young keeps his starting position for the Knights second trial.

Storm v Knights NRL Trial team list - Knights (newcastleknights.com.au)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Really unlucky for Bailey Hodgson who has had to have surgery to repair a fractured left elbow.

Dom Young keeps his starting position for the Knights second trial.

Storm v Knights NRL Trial team list - Knights (newcastleknights.com.au)

Apart from DY getting cut up by a Knights overload in defence, he had a very good first half v the Dogs.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Apart from DY getting cut up by a Knights overload in defence, he had a very good first half v the Dogs.

I thought he did yes.  Diffused a bomb and took his try well.  Also, his carries away from his own line were strong with plenty of post contact meters.

A couple of other half chances came his way but his service was either a ball high above his head or a difficult kick to collect and so when the Knights polish up their distribution, he will be a danger on the wing.  The Knights trainers have him as a chance to top the speed charts in the comp this year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought he did yes.  Diffused a bomb and took his try well.  Also, his carries away from his own line were strong with plenty of post contact meters.

A couple of other half chances came his way but his service was either a ball high above his head or a difficult kick to collect and so when the Knights polish up their distribution, he will be a danger on the wing.  The Knights trainers have him as a chance to top the speed charts in the comp this year.

He looks relaxed and comfortable in the position, plus he has strength.  

On the effort he made when finishing just short of the line - when he got the ball I didn’t think he’d get anywhere near.

Early days but some promise going into the WC.

• Like 1

I thought Oliver Gildart was much better for Wests this morning in the Tigers final trial.  More involvement and a hand in a couple of breaks.  The two Roosters tries went down his edge but I don't think you can place any blame on Gildart's defence.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought Oliver Gildart was much better for Wests this morning in the Tigers final trial.  More involvement and a hand in a couple of breaks.  The two Roosters tries went down his edge but I don't think you can place any blame on Gildart's defence.

I didn't see that, but did watch most of Manly v Canberra.

Manly's right side 3/4 combo of Koula and Saab is seriously rapid!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Gildart looked sharp , especially strong first half but a nice break in the second half to . Hastings looked very good and busy . The Canberra forwards all did a solid job 

Can Hastings battle for an England shirt if he has a good season in the NRL?

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Can Hastings battle for an England shirt if he has a good season in the NRL?

No Thanks - had enough of Aussies with tenuous links to the UK  who only play for England because they're not good enough to get picked for Australia

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Talking about Brits in the NRL - Jackson Hastings did ok as well.

13 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Talking about Brits in the NRL - Jackson Hastings did ok as well.

Yes, he did well.

It must be tough for these young British lads to go over to the other side of the world with no family or friends around and ply their trade in a new country.  I expect it will take Hastings and Gildart a few months to get used to Australia and the new way of life, but once they are over that initial culture change, they will go well.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, he did well.

It must be tough for these young British lads to go over to the other side of the world with no family or friends around and ply their trade in a new country.  I expect it will take Hastings and Gildart a few months to get used to Australia and the new way of life, but once they are over that initial culture change, they will go well.

Can you see Wane picking him if he has a really good season 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Based on everything Wane has said since he took the job, no.

No comment on this thread if that is right or wrong though as I don't want to derail the Brits in the NRL thread with a discussion on international eligibility/selection. We will have plenty of time for that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

First of all, IMO he should never have been picked for England. Same with Heighington, Chase, McQueen, Austin etc...

Specifically regards Hastings, we do not need to select him as we have options in the half’s for a change.

Having spent years being dismantled by a man called Lewis (Wally) the Penny has finally dropped we now have our own  Lewis’s (Dodd & Mikey) to unleash on the likes of Australia, NZ & Tonga. They are backed up by others like Price, Williams & Widdop so I would hope that we don’t sideline these blokes with plastic Englishmen.

The Burgess twins played against each other for the first time today.  Not sure they actually tackled each other though. 

Both were OK but nothing spectacular.  Tom will definitely in the Souths 17 for round 1, will wait and see if George makes the Dragons squad.  I expect he will but not 100%.

Looks like Herbie Farnworth has missed both the Broncos trials, we was named earlier in the week but not involved today. 

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

The Burgess twins played against each other for the first time today.  Not sure they actually tackled each other though. 

Both were OK but nothing spectacular.  Tom will definitely in the Souths 17 for round 1, will wait and see if George makes the Dragons squad.  I expect he will but not 100%.

Looks like Herbie Farnworth has missed both the Broncos trials, we was named earlier in the week but not involved today. 

Withdrawn because of Covid protocols 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

About a minute after George came off the bench, Tom was sin-binned. Bit of an anti-climax. Still, St George took the Charity Shield off Souths for the first time in God knows how long.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

More involvement from Thompson this week . Strong first stint especially . Some strong runs and a few offloads 

Yes, he was much better.  When he uses his footwork and fast feet, he is very effective. I thought he also ran a lot of good support lines as well so loads of enthusiasm. 

The Dogs are still a work in progress though.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

More involvement from Thompson this week . Strong first stint especially . Some strong runs and a few offloads 

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, he was much better.  When he uses his footwork and fast feet, he is very effective. I thought he also ran a lot of good support lines as well so loads of enthusiasm. 

The Dogs are still a work in progress though.

I didn't catch the Dogs game - promising to hear. How about the defensive efforts from him? 

8 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I didn't catch the Dogs game - promising to hear. How about the defensive efforts from him? 

Some decent contact a couple of times but again a fair bit of 3rd man and grabbing.  But not a weak link by any stretch and the Bulldogs opened up a bit down the middle when Thompson and Vaughan left the field together after their first stint.

He was the pick of the Bulldogs middle forwards for me.

• Like 1