Brits in the NRL

Dom Young was good this morning vs Sydney Roosters and up against Daniel Toupou who’s an established international and top class NRL winger. I think that’s played 7 and scored 5 which even for a winger is a superb strike rate 

just a point of contention, he’s not from Uddersfield he’s from Wakefield but came through the Giants Youth system

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Dom Young was good this morning vs Sydney Roosters and up against Daniel Toupou who’s an established international and top class NRL winger. I think that’s played 7 and scored 5 which even for a winger is a superb strike rate 

just a point of contention, he’s not from Uddersfield he’s from Wakefield but came through the Giants Youth system

Just slightly better than current England squad member Ryan Hall’s NRL strike rate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thought Gildart had a pretty good debut,plenty of involvement & some good passages of play in the first half but like the rest of the Tigers was firmly on the back foot when the Storm took over in the second.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Imagine if we still had Dom Young alongside Jake Wardle, Will Pryce and the Senior twins?

That'd be some homegrown backline!!

Also Jake Connor & Darnell McIntosh!

1. L Senior
  2. I Senior
  3. Wardle
  4. Young
  5. McIntosh
  6. Price
  7. Connor
  8. English
  9. Leeming
  10. Mason
  11. Hewitt
  12. Trout
  13. Kirby
  14. Russell

Andy Kelly has certainly done an amazing job in creating one of the best Youth Academies and pathways in the game.

Edited by OMEGA
  • Like 2

Think the Storm definitely targeted the left edge of the Tigers. But worth noting that’s also the edge where Luke Brooks defends. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Big effort from Luke Thompson in the Bulldogs win over the cowboys. Started off the bench but pretty sure he topped the tackle count. Carried the ball well and often hit it up more than once in a set.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Big effort from Luke Thompson in the Bulldogs win over the cowboys. Started off the bench but pretty sure he topped the tackle count. Carried the ball well and often hit it up more than once in a set.

His defence was excellent this morning. He did top the count and every tackle was effective.

After the last trial where he started very well I was disappointed he came off the bench but he put in 64 minutes.  I maintain you get more from Thompson the longer minutes he plays as he has a great engine.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

His defence was excellent this morning. He did top the count and every tackle was effective.

After the last trial where he started very well I was disappointed he came off the bench but he put in 64 minutes.  I maintain you get more from Thompson the longer minutes he plays as he has a great engine.

46 tackles in 64mins. Great effort. Tom Gilbert from the Cowboys just pipped him by 1 with 47 tackles.

Jack Hetherington got a lot of positive comments for his performance tonight, though worth mentioning that a lot of the good work he did going forward was often off the back of a good run and quick PTB from Thompson.

• Like 1

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Cowboys Bulldogs was pretty average to say the least . Thompson played over an hour and seems to be being used as a tackling machine , but is still underused for me  for long spells with the ball which was his big asset . Good engine though in tough conditions 

• Like 1

Thompson picked up 3 Dally M points as the player of the match.  He may not have played such big minutes if the Bulldogs hadn't lost a middle rotation option with HIA.  However, he may have shown that more minutes for him is the best option.

He did well in defence but his ball carrying is still he best attribute by far.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Dominic Young currently running third in the wingers category for NRL.com team of the week (the only Brit to get a nomination this week).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/vote-for-the-round-1-nrl-team-of-the-week/ 

my worry with dom young - as soon as tedesco was attempting a conventional tackle on him as he was in open play he just stopped! no attempt to hand off or go round or sidestep 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 14/03/2022 at 14:14, DavidM said:

Cowboys Bulldogs was pretty average to say the least 

ruined by stop start stop start stop start and  nit picking - the cowboys try been ruled out well after everyone in the stadium had celebrated a win - got sick  of seeing the trainer on the pitch and hearing the ref - do players need to take a tape measure out with them now before they do anything to please technology? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

ruined by stop start stop start stop start and  nit picking - the cowboys try been ruled out well after everyone in the stadium had celebrated a win - got sick  of seeing the trainer on the pitch and hearing the ref - do players need to take a tape measure out with them now before they do anything to please technology? 

It was very stop start , I think the cowboys pointed to that afterwards . I understand the offside if it’s black and white but in general I don’t like the overarching presence of the VR looking at everything , and basically reducing the role of the on field ref . The bunker is in charge and they basically control the ref like a remote control car . Some of these things are interpretation , and the ref on field gets overruled by the bunker . It leaves a bit of a sour taste that the guy in the middle isn’t deciding , or that his opinion is secondary . I think head assessments and the like should be held in back play as well 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Canberra

Josh Hodgson

Elliot Whitehead

Ryan Sutton

Harry Rushton

Souths

Tom Burgess

Brisbane

Herbie Farnworth

Newcastle

Bailey Hodgson

Dominic Young

Canterbury

Luke Thompson

Wests Tigers

Oliver Gildart

St George Illawarra

George Burgess

• Like 2

Sam Walker from the Roosters is also eligible for England, having been born in Leeds.

There is Jackson Hastings at Wests.

Euan Aitken has played for Scotland

Josh Ralph - who plays for the Bears and is in the extended Bulldogs squad - plays for Wales.

Jordan Pereira - from the Broncs - is eligible for England through his mother.

12 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Sam Walker from the Roosters is also eligible for England, having been born in Leeds.

Josh Ralph - who plays for the Bears and is in the extended Bulldogs squad - plays for Wales.

And of course Jackson Hastings....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

There will be a long list of NRL players eligible for England through parents and grandparents place of birth, it will go well beyond Jackson Hastings.

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There will be a long list of NRL players eligible for England through parents and grandparents place of birth, it will go well beyond Jackson Hastings.

Yeah, perhaps so. I just listed the chaps I was aware of.