Brits in the NRL

16 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There will be a long list of NRL players eligible for England through parents and grandparents place of birth, it will go well beyond Jackson Hastings.

And none of them are needed.

I just don't get people's obsession with wanting to pick average Aussies for England ? Look at the most recent ones who've played for us, Austin, Hastings, McQueen, Heighnington - all flops in an England / GB shirt. Only put their hand up for us because they weren't good enough to get an Aussie test shirt.

Good on Wayne for so far not even considering these kind of cast-off's

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Canberra

Josh Hodgson

Elliot Whitehead

Ryan Sutton

Harry Rushton

Souths

Tom Burgess

Brisbane

Herbie Farnworth

Newcastle

Bailey Hodgson

Dominic Young

Canterbury

Luke Thompson

Wests Tigers

Oliver Gildart

St George Illawarra

George Burgess

We'd have to play a few out of position and include Walker and Hastings, but could get a starting 13:

1. Bailey Hodgson
2. Dom Young
3. Harry Rushton
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Herbie Farnworth
6. Sam Walker
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Tom Burgess
9. Josh Hodgson
10. George Burgess
11. Ryan Sutton
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Luke Thompson

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sam Walker had a very impressive game for the Roosters this morning

He did.  And I am sure that if he continues to develop he will have a good chance to win a State of Origin cap for Queensland to go with his Queensland u18 and Australian Schoolboys honours.

He may even be a future Kangaroo but its probably a bit early to predict that. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

And none of them are needed.

I just don't get people's obsession with wanting to pick average Aussies for England ? Look at the most recent ones who've played for us, Austin, Hastings, McQueen, Heighnington - all flops in an England / GB shirt. Only put their hand up for us because they weren't good enough to get an Aussie test shirt.

Good on Wayne for so far not even considering these kind of cast-off's

If a player makes themselves available to England, they qualify for England, and they are the best player available, they should be selected. There is no more criteria or further discussion necessary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

He did.  And I am sure that if he continues to develop he will have a good chance to win a State of Origin cap for Queensland to go with his Queensland u18 and Australian Schoolboys honours.

He was born in Leeds, he should play for England 

• Haha 1

This has been a long and very interesting thread with us watching the Brits perform in the NRL.  And I hope we can continue to chat about it for the rest of this season.

It would be a real shame if it got locked due to us going down the rabbit hole of international eligibility so I vote we leave that for the chats about the international game. 

• Like 7

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Looking forward to seeing how Gildart goes again this weekend. 

I know there’s been plenty of comment around his size, but I do think there seems to be a bit of a trend developing around slightly smaller backs in the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Looking forward to seeing how Gildart goes again this weekend. 

I know there’s been plenty of comment around his size, but I do think there seems to be a bit of a trend developing around slightly smaller backs in the NRL.

Small sample size I know but he’s stood up fine so far .

18 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

How did Thompson get on?

Less involved than last week, didn't get his hands on the ball nearly enough.  Put in a solid shift in defence but just ok overall.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Farnworth was outstanding in both attack and defence. He's becoming a top line centre now. In the earlier game, Dom Young was good again. Andrew Johns, a knights assistant coach, gave him high praise for being a gifted future with a lot of potential. 

Farnworth was very good.  His tries and running will get the headlines but his contact and reading in defence was also very good.  An all round top class centre display.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Farnworth was very good.  His tries and running will get the headlines but his contact and reading in defence was also very good.  An all round top class centre display.

He is class you can tell and England will benefit from the World Cup being put back a year.

Players like Farnworth, Newman and Young would not have been ready last October, however, they will be pushing hard for that first game 17 now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He is class you can tell and England will benefit from the World Cup being put back a year.

Players like Farnworth, Newman and Young would not have been ready last October, however, they will be pushing hard for that first game 17 now.

I agree that the extra year will be good for them.  As I have said a few times, I also think if they are playing at their potential, they are the best options for England.

I am just not sure Wane will select them.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that the extra year will be good for them.  As I have said a few times, I also think if they are playing at their potential, they are the best options for England.

I am just not sure Wane will select them.

Having some of the players in that top 30 England training squad is an embarrassment. You have to incorporate players from the NRL make them part of the set up not just ignore them. Wane is not in a full time job, he could go to Australia and run a camp around Origin time and get to know these guys.

Having players like Evalds, Lyne, Sarginson, Hall etc. is just an embarrassment and actually wasting England resources. These players should be nowhere near any England squad. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Farnworth had a superb game on both sides of the ball, 2 try’s and some great defensive reads

Very similar from Dom Young, he took his try very well but also made some great defensive reads 2 of which were potential try savers.

• Like 3

For the second week, Dominic Young makes the short list for NRL.com team of the week.

He is joined by Herbie Farnworth as one of the centre candidates. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/20/vote-for-the-round-2-team-of-the-week/

• Like 4

Only seen highlights of the two games mentioned above.

Herbie took both his tries well, and looks to be even more confident and comfortable in 1st grade. 
Gildart could have quite possibly gone in for a try or at least set up his winger for a try if a poor pass from Peachey, after a break in the 30th min, hadn’t gone to nobody when it was probably easier to put the ball in Gildart hands.

Peachey then got himself needlessly sin binned and the Knights scored again soon after. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 18/03/2022 at 13:42, Dunbar said:

Personally I think he is already better than DCE and second only to Nathan Cleary. I would have him in my Australian World Cup squad to play the weaker sides in the group with an eye on the future if I was in charge.

Nice to see Farnworth in a side that isn't getting absolutely humiliated every week.

As for Dom Young, he often looks clumsy as he lollops around the field, but that can be deceptive. He looks more goofy than he actually is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson