Brits in the NRL

14 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Two tries for Herbie in Brisbane’s 16-10 win over Canterbury 

Wests Tigers got pumped 26-4 by Newcastle with Gildart not impressing. 

That is the scorching speed we knew about but due to Brisbane being so poor last season we rarely saw him in space with the opportunity to showcase that speed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that the extra year will be good for them.  As I have said a few times, I also think if they are playing at their potential, they are the best options for England.

I am just not sure Wane will select them.

Are we actually concerned Wane might overlook some of our NRL contingent? That would be ludicrous! 

By all means, if they're not playing well or much, then there's argument to say they shouldn't be selected - but by any measure, if and English player is playing well in the NRL they should be a shoo in surely?

• Confused 2

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Are we actually concerned Wane might overlook some of our NRL contingent? That would be ludicrous! 

By all means, if they're not playing well or much, then there's argument to say they shouldn't be selected - but by any measure, if and English player is playing well in the NRL they should be a shoo in surely?

For the more established players then no, I am not concerned.  But when it comes to the likes of Farnworth and Young then I do wonder if he will go with who he knows.  I don't know if Wane has ever met the two of them face to face and unless he plans a trip down under this year then the first time they would ever meet and start to work together is when the World Cup squad gather.  My worry is that he goes with the players he has worked with before because he sees them as a known quantity.  I hope I am wrong.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

For the more established players then no, I am not concerned.  But when it comes to the likes of Farnworth and Young then I do wonder if he will go with who he knows.  I don't know if Wane has ever met the two of them face to face and unless he plans a trip down under this year then the first time they would ever meet and start to work together is when the World Cup squad gather.  My worry is that he goes with the players he has worked with before because he sees them as a known quantity.  I hope I am wrong.

When you put it like that, I can see how there's a real chance that's what will happen! The idea of Hall and Sarginson getting in a WC squad over Young and Farnworth is a terrifying prospect. 

• Like 3

Twenty-nine-year-old Burgess was arrested at Mascot Police Station this afternoon.

The former South Sydney Rabbitohs player was granted conditional bail and is due to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on April 13.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-21/nrl-dragons-player-george-burgess-charged-with-sexual-touching/100928106

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Nice to see Farnworth in a side that isn't getting absolutely humiliated every week.

As for Dom Young, he often looks clumsy as he lollops around the field, but that can be deceptive. He looks more goofy than he actually is.

Patience….broncos were 2-0 (including an impressive win over the bunnies) two years ago and finished with the wooden spoon.

Not saying it will happen again like.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

He’s an idiot if that is ends up being the case. We are too conservative if this country; especially when it comes to rugby. You do need experience of the international game but there’s a few young players I’d be throwing in at the World Cup if they continue to produce the goods. 

Josh Hodgson has played his last NRL game for Canberra with a knee injury requiring season-ending surgery.

Hodgson, 32, will exit the club at season's end after 138 appearances, having penned a two-year contract with Parramatta from 2023.

https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/7666925/knee-surgery-ends-hodgsons-canberra-stay/

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

46 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

He’s an idiot if that is ends up being the case. We are too conservative if this country; especially when it comes to rugby. You do need experience of the international game but there’s a few young players I’d be throwing in at the World Cup if they continue to produce the goods. 

There is a real danger of this #### with Wane. There is no indication he will embrace players not on his radar. His reaction to qualified players like Hastings and then leaving out NRL players from the conversation when announcing squads. Bateman could be England captain ahead of Whitehead because he is at Wane's club?

How can we completely ignore 6-7 of England's best players because they can't turn up for a run at Salford. You can't then suddenly throw these guys in the squad in October having strung along never going to bees like Reece Lyne, Niall Evalds and Dan Sarginson. McNamara did an excellent job of integrating English qualified players from all over the world.

• Like 1

Just got to the broncos - bulldogs game. Herbie had a tremendous game , totally overshadowing Staggs . It would be absolutely criminal if him and Dom Young - who was also tremendous again - are not involved in our WC squad . Complete nobrainer . Thompson had another Lord Lucan showing in attack and gave a couple of stupid penalties away 

Just now, DoubleD said:

Has Dom Young shown any indication that he would like to play for England in the forthcoming World Cup or are people just aimlessly speculating?

All I've seen is his intention to represent Jamaica

Shaun Wane probably hasn't even spoken to him. 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just got to the broncos - bulldogs game. Herbie had a tremendous game , totally overshadowing Staggs . It would be absolutely criminal if him and Dom Young - who was also tremendous again - are not involved in our WC squad . Complete nobrainer . Thompson had another Lord Lucan showing in attack and gave a couple of stupid penalties away 

Wane is going about blending NRL and SL players into a winning WC squad in a very odd way! By that I mean, completely ignoring those in the NRL and making them feel like outsiders.

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Has Dom Young shown any indication that he would like to play for England in the forthcoming World Cup or are people just aimlessly speculating?

All I've seen is his intention to represent Jamaica

It is speculation on my part but I’m unsure of his youth career or whether he played any junior rep games for England.  In my opinion, he has come on so well,he should go in the England squad at least.  If Wane doesn’t consider him then it would be disappointing.

If he goes with Jamaica it will be good to see him test himself at that level anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It is speculation on my part but I’m unsure of his youth career or whether he played any junior rep games for England.  In my opinion, he has come on so well,he should go in the England squad at least.  If Wane doesn’t consider him then it would be disappointing.

If he goes with Jamaica it will be good to see him test himself at that level anyway.  

He may simply prefer playing for Jamaica..................much like some Australian/NZ born Tongans and Samoans. So unless he's stated an interest in representing England, the discussion is academic

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He may simply prefer playing for Jamaica..................much like some Australian/NZ born Tongans and Samoans. So unless he's stated an interest in representing England, the discussion is academic

Maybe so . Maybe wrong but I’d be shocked if he turned down an England spot to play for Jamaica . Tonga and Samoa have got a host of players moving to give them really competitive sides . Dunno , your points perfectly valid 

Edited by DavidM

12 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yeah agreed.  What’s new!

I am not sure why Wane is getting so much stick, when none of us knows what he is thinking. No NRL players were named in the recent squad, and so we don’t know how he views any of them. Oh, and if he picks Bateman ahead of Whitehead he may argue that Bateman played better when they both played on the same team. 

• Like 1

People have already decided what Wane will do, based on expecting the worst, then coming to believe that their own worst fears are confirmed and documented reality. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Or maybe he put his hand up for Jamaica because at that time he had only played 2 SL games, hadn't even played a NRL game and he didn't think he had a chance of getting in the England team.

• Like 1

I think there's some valid cause for concern in Herbie's case unfortunately, looking back to last season Wane made that bizarre statement to drop only Farnworth from that massive England WC squad the week following one poor performance he had for the Broncos. Really hard not to draw parallels with the Connor situation where for whatever reason some individual players appear to be held to a certain standard that others are not.

I hope for England's sake that both these cases aren't just hills Wane has chosen to die on.

• Like 1