Brits in the NRL

On 20/03/2022 at 19:25, JM2010 said:

How did Thompson get on?

I really think he has gone backwards at The Bulldogs, he hardly ever hits it up now and is always the dummy runner. Very disappointed with him.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Or maybe he put his hand up for Jamaica because at that time he had only played 2 SL games, hadn't even played a NRL game and he didn't think he had a chance of getting in the England team.

That is certainly possible. My point being it is pure speculation. He’s only stated he wants to play for Jamaica at this stage

14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Has Dom Young shown any indication that he would like to play for England in the forthcoming World Cup or are people just aimlessly speculating?

All I've seen is his intention to represent Jamaica

I think the fact he played for England in the junior ranks is a fair indication he would be swayed by and England call up. He does seem keen to represent Jamaica at some point or another, so maybe he'll stick with them for now and the switch will come after the WC. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

That is certainly possible. My point being it is pure speculation. He’s only stated he wants to play for Jamaica at this stage

Or to be more accurate at this stage only Jamaica have approached Young to play for them.

Even Jermaine Coleman quipped last year when this news broke that he hoped Young had a good season but not good enough that England would be interested. 

• Like 2

5 NRL clubs chasing Herbie Farnworth for next year reported on Channel 9 News sport today

Brisbane hoping to keep him. 

Why are we not promoting the World Cup around these exciting young England stars playing all over the world? Make it feel like a global event. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think the fact he played for England in the junior ranks is a fair indication he would be swayed by and England call up. He does seem keen to represent Jamaica at some point or another, so maybe he'll stick with them for now and the switch will come after the WC. 

Why does it? Jamaica doesn't have a junior rep side, so there was no alternative for him. 

He could follow the path of a number of Tongan/Samoans who represent the junior kiwis and kangaroos/schoolboys but then choose to represent their heritage nation

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Or to be more accurate at this stage only Jamaica have approached Young to play for them.

Even Jermaine Coleman quipped last year when this news broke that he hoped Young had a good season but not good enough that England would be interested. 

Again this is pure speculation. He may wish to represent England, but he has only shown a desire to play for Jamaica at the World Cup at this stage

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Why does it? Jamaica doesn't have a junior rep side, so there was no alternative for him. 

He could follow the path of a number of Tongan/Samoans who represent the junior kiwis and kangaroos/schoolboys but then choose to represent their heritage nation

Again this is pure speculation. He may wish to represent England, but he has only shown a desire to play for Jamaica at the World Cup at this stage

Can't help but think you're slightly overthinking this DD. It's not really speculation to suggest somebody who is English will, if called up, end up playing for England. He has Jamaican heritage and has his reasons for wanting to rep them but the comparison with this being the same as Tonga/Somoa is a little far fetched. I'd draw a closer comparison with Lebanon/Scotland/Italy - essentially, most of the players repping them would play for their tier 1 birth country if they were selected.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Its not speculation. When Jamaica approached him he had played a grand total of 2 SL games and no NRL games. That is a fact. I think its safe to assume that Shaun Wane hadn't approached Young to play for England at that time.

It is also a fact what Jermaine Coleman said and that it was Jamaica that released it to the media. Young did not just say to the media he wants to play for Jamaica off his own bat, he was approached and persuaded to do so. In the same boat I am sure that any 19 year old with only 2 SL appearances to his name would be jumping at being involved in a World Cup too.

Now you may think that Young has no intention of playing for anyone but Jamaica and that's your prerogative. However I think most can see the picture has changed somewhat 2 full season down the line and that its a bit silly to think he is tied to Jamaica and won't possibly consider England if they want to pick him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scubby said:

5 NRL clubs chasing Herbie Farnworth for next year reported on Channel 9 News sport today

Why are we not promoting the World Cup around these exciting young England stars playing all over the world? Make it feel like a global event. 

Use him in Oz by all means but 99% of UK RL fans wouldn't know who is is - even if he sat next to them.

Our only current player anyone outside RL knows is Sam Tomkins and as England captain and MOS he will be the focal point of any European publicity (sad but true hes still our only real star who's well known) - maybe add in a World class player like Makinson or a young up and coming star as well as one to watch but as far as NRL based players goes, they have no UK profit at all.

Edit to say - If he makes the squad the BBC and how they report things would love the angle that Mikolaj Oledzki would give so they would probably follow that angle as good RL publicity.

Edited by Mr Frisky
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its not speculation. When Jamaica approached him he had played a grand total of 2 SL games and no NRL games. That is a fact. I think its safe to assume that Shaun Wane hadn't approached Young to play for England at that time.

It is also a fact what Jermaine Coleman said and that it was Jamaica that released it to the media. Young did not just say to the media he wants to play for Jamaica off his own bat, he was approached and persuaded to do so. In the same boat I am sure that any 19 year old with only 2 SL appearances to his name would be jumping at being involved in a World Cup too.

Now you may think that Young has no intention of playing for anyone but Jamaica and that's your prerogative. However I think most can see the picture has changed somewhat 2 full season down the line and that its a bit silly to think he is tied to Jamaica and won't possibly consider England if they want to pick him.

24 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Can't help but think you're slightly overthinking this DD. It's not really speculation to suggest somebody who is English will, if called up, end up playing for England. He has Jamaican heritage and has his reasons for wanting to rep them but the comparison with this being the same as Tonga/Somoa is a little far fetched. I'd draw a closer comparison with Lebanon/Scotland/Italy - essentially, most of the players repping them would play for their tier 1 birth country if they were selected.

I'm not overthinking or suggesting anything..............I'm simply stating the facts - that he's stated his intention to play for Jamaica in the forthcoming World Cup. He's not stated any intention to play for England. That may change, but it's all just speculation at this stage. There's nothing more to it

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

Spot on, Young should have a decision to make whether to represent Jamaica or England. When we have Hardaker, Marshall, Percival, Evalds, Lyne and Sarginson in the England train on squad, both Farnworth and Young should be in ahead of the lot of them imo. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm not overthinking or suggesting anything..............I'm simply stating the facts - that he's stated his intention to play for Jamaica in the forthcoming World Cup. He's not stated any intention to play for England. That may change, but it's all just speculation at this stage. There's nothing more to it

I'm not sure why you would expect a 20 year old with 10 first grade appearances under his belt to be stating such a thing. It seems a really odd thing to expect him to do. As is keep citing it as a reason why he wont play for England, if he is even selected that is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure why you would expect a 20 year old with 10 first grade appearances under his belt to be stating such a thing. It seems a really odd thing to expect him to do. As is keep citing it as a reason why he wont play for England, if he is even selected that is.

This is a pointless circular discussion..............feel free to carry on speculating if you wish

• Haha 2

would like to see what dom young can do with the ball "in the clear" still looks a bit clumsy and lost a lot of the time in un broken play - way off international level yet

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

would like to see what dom young can do with the ball "in the clear" still looks a bit clumsy and lost a lot of the time in un broken play - way off international level yet

Forgive my ignorance, but what does 'lost a lot of the time in un broken play' mean?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does 'lost a lot of the time in un broken play' mean?

out of position- when attacking from inside the knights own half for starters 

like  i said in round 1 against the roosters - as soon as dom young was in the clear and Tedesco was round his legs he "just stopped" didnt try to round him or power past - need to see what the speed and power "talked about" in action is for real before handing international jerseys out 

23 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

like  i said in round 1 against the roosters - as soon as dom young was in the clear and Tedesco was round his legs he "just stopped" didnt try to round him or power past - need to see what the speed and power "talked about" in action is for real before handing international jerseys out 

Now your just being ridiculous.

No one is handing out international jerseys,it’s March,they’ll be handed out in October & if Young continues his development he’ll be in with a shout of an England place, he’s already a cert for Jamaica.

Could you remind me when this happened in the Roosters game.... I would like to have a look and I genuinely can't remember it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Could you remind me when this happened in the Roosters game.... I would like to have a look and I genuinely can't remember it.

On that video it starts around 42:30, he gets in the clear and begins to motor away but slows up as he's summing up the situation. He's well marked by Teddy and cover defenders but still manages to get a quality offload away.

11 hours ago, Scubby said:

Because we can’t be sure that we will see any of them play internationals, given who pays them and the alluring call of pre season games?

Plus, how many people over here will have any idea who he is, compared with Newman and Percival, and even Gildart?

Finally, he’s a good player, but he’s not Steve Renouf, so I am not sure what you’d be selling: “Roll up for someone you’ve never heard of who is better than Lyne, and probably a good option alongside Percival and Newman...”

8 minutes ago, UTK said:

On that video it starts around 42:30, he gets in the clear and begins to motor away but slows up as he's summing up the situation. He's well marked by Teddy and cover defenders but still manages to get a quality offload away.

Yes, I remember the play now.  I thought he did well to get the inside pass away rather than risk taking Tedesco on the outside and flirting with touch.  Maybe with a bit more confidence he would pin his ears back.

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I remember the play now.  I thought he did well to get the inside pass away rather than risk taking Tedesco on the outside and flirting with touch.  Maybe with a bit more confidence he would pin his ears back.

which is all i was saying- a bit more confidence and experience will hopefully move him to another level then beyond

• Like 1

which is all i was saying- a bit more confidence and experience will hopefully move him to another level then beyond

Or maybe he showed a level of maturity & realised very few players run around Tedesco & opted for the higher percentage play.

• Like 4