Brits in the NRL

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Or maybe he showed a level of maturity & realised very few players run around Tedesco & opted for the higher percentage play.

100% correct - he was never in front of Tedesco to supposedly 'give up'. Crazy how Graveyard is talking as though Tedesco a) isn't one of the best and quickest fullbacks in the comp b) as though Young had acres of space. You can see by Tedesco's body position he was showing Young down the outside, knowing he had defenders on the inside. Young did well to keep the play alive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

100% correct - he was never in front of Tedesco to supposedly 'give up'. Crazy how Graveyard is talking as though Tedesco a) isn't one of the best and quickest fullbacks in the comp b) as though Young had acres of space. You can see by Tedesco's body position he was showing Young down the outside, knowing he had defenders on the inside. Young did well to keep the play alive. 

Yeah,I try not to take him seriously,he does seem to have a problem with English players in the NRL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,I try not to take him seriously,he does seem to have a problem with English players in the NRL.

because I  said I would like to see what dom young could do with his speed in open space with some half chances? or cos I  never rated George Williams either at Wigan - the raiders or now the wire? 

I love to see our players do well in the nrl and try to watch the games they are involved in to cheer them on everytime - JEEZ! give  it a break 

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, DavidM said:

Wests were a total basket case but Gildart was just about their best 

Agreed. He looked as dangerous as anyone for Wests, some decent footwork and good carries.  I am pleased he did better this week. 

But without Hastings Wests were completely rudderless and couldn't score a point againt a Warriors team that was completely shot in the second half.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed. He looked as dangerous as anyone for Wests, some decent footwork and good carries.  I am pleased he did better this week. 

But without Hastings Wests were completely rudderless and couldn't score a point againt a Warriors team that was completely shot in the second half.

Television can be quite sadistic , they did revel in cutting to Maguire after every error !

42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What is it with Luke Brooks? I just don't see it? This guy is on top bucks for a decade of mediocrity.

He doesn't have the temperament or skill to be the half back people think he should be. 

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What is it with Luke Brooks? I just don't see it? This guy is on top bucks for a decade of mediocrity.

He doesn't have the temperament or skill to be the half back people think he should be. 

I think he had a good year ages and ages ago when some people were comparing him to a young Andrew Johns , but he’s been underperforming for some time and not lifting a team that’s been consistently average 

Edited by DavidM

Dom Young had what appeared to be a mixed game this morning, taking his try very well but there were a number of try’s scored down Newcastles right edge. I say “appeared” because the Knights had a man sent off early and it allowed Penrith to work the extra man down Newcastles edges making the centre & wing partnerships look exposed.

Newcastle are no easy beats this year, despite being a man down they still score 3 try’s against Penrith.

• Like 1

It was his side's second row that got sent off, so it's logical that they attacked his side more, a couple of bad reads by him, but i guess it's not easy defending on the wing when your missing a player on your edge. 

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

It was his side's second row that got sent off, so it's logical that they attacked his side more, a couple of bad reads by him, but i guess it's not easy defending on the wing when your missing a player on your edge. 

I’m not sure about the bad reads, he had to follow his centre Gagai in a couple of times as that’s the system they play. He missed 1 tackle when rushing up to cut out a play where Penrith had a 3 v 1 and they went on to score a try but it was Trish or bust either way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’m not sure about the bad reads, he had to follow his centre Gagai in a couple of times as that’s the system they play. He missed 1 tackle when rushing up to cut out a play where Penrith had a 3 v 1 and they went on to score a try but it was Trish or bust either way.

Yes you're  probably right, maybe one bad read, the rule in NRL clubs  is usually if one jams in the rest jam in. So he did what he is asked to do. 

a thing that worries me is how dom young holds the ball when he runs - get it next to your chest lad nice and safe  cos i can see it coming loose and spilling it a crucial time - surely the coach must have noticed?

• Haha 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

He's been our best two weeks in a row I think. Really developing into a gun centre now.

Like others have said, I'm not sure that Wane will pick him - even if he maintains (or improves further) his form.

Farnworth should be one of the first backs named, IMHO.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Hardaker and Bateman nailed on for the centres…

Wane has been in charge since 2020 and it feels the world has moved on from his initial philosophy of sticking to people he knows. There are better young players now in the positions he would have probably selected his favourites back in the 2020 Ashes series.

Good coaches move past that and welcome young and emerging talent breaking through. 

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wane has been in charge since 2020 and it feels the world has moved on from his initial philosophy of sticking to people he knows. There are better young players now in the positions he would have probably selected his favourites back in the 2020 Ashes series.

Good coaches move past that and welcome young and emerging talent breaking through. 

Yep. It does worry me that he appears stuck in the past in terms of some of his selections in the squad (in the centres and wing positions). The likes of: Farnworth, Johnstone, Wardle etc should absolutely be there above the likes of Hall, Lynne and Hardaker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Yep. It does worry me that he appears stuck in the past in terms of some of his selections in the squad (in the centres and wing positions). The likes of: Farnworth, Johnstone, Wardle etc should absolutely be there above the likes of Hall, Lynne and Hardaker. 

If we go into a world cup with a squad missing those players and filled with the others then he should immediately be sacked.

What will be really telling is of Wane takes a trip down under to see the likes of Farnworth and Young play and meet with them to talk about their future with England and the upcoming tournament.

The likes of Burgess, Thompson, Whitehead etc. are old hands and don't need this but if he chooses not to look at the progress of the younger NRL players first hand then it will be a big indicator of his thinking.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I can see why people do it, but it does seem a bit harsh to have hanged Wane for something he hasn’t done yet.

As far as I am concerned, I am just looking for him to do a few things that I would have thought any English Head Coach (without club commitments) would do... like go and see some of his playing options first hand. Cleary, this was impossible for the last few years, but not now.

But there are some things about Wane that I find puzzling though.  For example, his Twitter profile still shows him in the Wigan dressing room celebrating a win... yes, a nice pic and a nice moment for him no doubt but the England Head Coach should have a profile related to his current national job, not his previous club.  You may not think it matters of course.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I can see why people do it, but it does seem a bit harsh to have hanged Wane for something he hasn’t done yet.

I think the fact he doesn't seem to publicly acknowledge the NRL based players is a part of that though. For all we know, privately he may reach out to these players and already held talks about possible future get togethers. But, as we are right now he just appears to have no interest, save for the established ones who've played for England in the past. 

For me Wane should be taking a trip out to Aus (possibly near SOO window?) and getting them all together - there's enough of them to have a mini camp and have a look at a few things. 

Burgess x 2 

Whitehead 

Sutton 

Farnworth 

Gildart 

Thompson 

Young 

Bring along Josh Hodgson/Sam Burgess for a bit of coaching and get young Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rushden in for the experience. I'm not saying all those players definitely need to be in the WC team/squad but better to have done something to make them feel a part of it if there's a chance they may be rather than just chucking them all in a camp in October and hoping it works. 

14 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Think that’s a bit of the top. I think people are apprehensive about Wane’s conservative approach to selection so far and the appeared lack of engagement in terms of the profile of the job as Dunbar alludes to above.