Brits in the NRL

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

thought Dom Young looked poor in a poor looking knights team against the sharks

I thought he was one of the Knights best to be honest.  He carried the ball well and he was the only Knights player to make a line break and broke the most tackles along with Dane Gagai.  He did give away a penalty and was binned for the tackle that went over the horizontal.  I thought it was tough on him as he dominated the tackle but its a lesson learned.

What part of his game did you think was so poor?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought he was one of the Knights best to be honest.  He carried the ball well and he was the only Knights player to make a line break and broke the most tackles along with Dane Gagai.  He did give away a penalty and was binned for the tackle that went over the horizontal.  I thought it was tough on him as he dominated the tackle but its a lesson learned.

the kick he put in in the 1st half was dreadful - even blocker pulled him on wasting an opportunity 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The part where he’s English & playing in the NRLwould be my guess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the kick he put in in the 1st half was dreadful - even blocker pulled him on wasting an opportunity 

One kick,oh dear,straws & grasping come to mind,Cleary put in a poor kick yesterday,you better ring Brad & Mal & tell them to forget about Origin/ World Cup selection.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

One kick,oh dear,straws & grasping come to mind,Cleary put in a poor kick yesterday,you better ring Brad & Mal & tell them to forget about Origin/ World Cup selection.

I don't want to fall into the opposite trap and suggest everything that the Brits do is good.

On yesterday's performance.

Con's

Yes, a poorly executed attacking kick when there were better options.

Didn't stick on a few tackles.

Gave away a penalty and 10 in the bin for a driving tackle that went over the horizontal.

Pro's

3rd top metre maker for the Knights.

Most post contact metres with several strong carries.

The only line break for the Knights.

Joint top of tackle breaks.

No errors.

I would say he was far from the worst of the Knights players in what was a disappointing overall display.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't want to fall into the opposite trap and suggest everything that the Brits do is good.

Con's

Gave away a penalty and 10 in the bin for a driving tackle that went over the horizontal.

Pro's

No errors.

I would say he was far from the worst of the Knights players in what was a disappointing overall display.

That’s a fair assessment from a poster without an agenda,I don’t believe anyone thinks he’s the finished article by a long way but he’s still getting selected in a useful looking Knights team and if he keeps that place/form throughout the season the added experience should push him to possible England selection.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Con's

Pro's

No errors.

You don't need to watch the game at all.

Just base everything on the "Stats"

Edited by Jonty58
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonty58 said:

Thanks for the advice.  But I did watch the game.  And funnily enough, the stats backed up my assessment of Young's performance. Funny how that works out.

• Haha 2

On 02/04/2022 at 12:34, Jonty58 said:

Don't even bother arguing with them, i'm convinced Young is the love child of Davo5 and Dunbar 

Only a parent sees only the good like these 2 and ignores the useless stuff 😆 

• Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

27 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Don't even bother arguing with them, i'm convinced Young is the love child of Davo5 and Dunbar 

We’ll you are the J R R Tolkien of St Helens,you make up fantasies & try to convince others it’s the truth.

Edited by Davo5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I put up an assessment of his performance at the weekend - both the good and the bad.

If we go back a few pages on here, we will find a conversation where you made up a load of stuff about his debut for the Giants against the Saints where you said he was at fault for the Saints tries which was totally refuted by the video of the highlights of the match.

I am happy to discuss the merits of each player and happy to have my opinions challenged - but I am not going to let someone who makes stuff up to suit his agenda get away with it.

For anyone interested, here is the page.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/338076-brits-in-the-nrl/page/60/#comment-4606992

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I put up an assessment of his performance at the weekend - both the good and the bad.

If we go back a few pages on here, we will find a conversation where you made up a load of stuff about his debut for the Giants against the Saints where you said he was at fault for the Saints tries which was totally refuted by the video of the highlights of the match.

I am happy to discuss the merits of each player and happy to have my opinions challenged - but I am not going to let someone who makes stuff up to suit his agenda get away with it.

For anyone interested, here is the page.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/338076-brits-in-the-nrl/page/60/#comment-4606992

Now,now don’t you be coming on here introducing actual evidence to contradict one of Toppy’s many fantasies.

• Haha 1

luke thompson tried his heart out for the dogs this weekend but against the storm machine it was all in vein - on the subject of dom young though if i were an nrl coach i would rather be paying his wages for what he is doing rather than josh addo carrs ridiculous fees for basically nothing - a player whos not finishing off the storms sinsalating moves anymore and looking like an well over rated chump now

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Thompson put a shift in with more carries as a starter , couple of offloads as well . I think defences handle him ok tbh but at least he was busier 

He did put in a shift, but I do think he's a 'marked' man and he attracts defenders. This works for his team 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

luke thompson tried his heart out for the dogs this weekend but against the storm machine it was all in vein - on the subject of dom young though if i were an nrl coach i would rather be paying his wages for what he is doing rather than josh addo carrs ridiculous fees for basically nothing - a player whos not finishing off the storms sinsalating moves anymore and looking like an well over rated chump now

There's no real middle ground with you is there. 

This time last year you were saying that Australia could rack up a record score against England if the World Cup took place with Tedesco, Mitchell, Trbojevic and Addo-Carr in their backline.

Now one of these is an over rated chump.

Still good for England's chances.

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

There's no real middle ground with you is there. 

This time last year you were saying that Australia could rack up a record score against England if the World Cup took place with Tedesco, Mitchell, Trbojevic and Addo-Carr in their backline.

Now one of these is an over rated chump.

Still good for England's chances.

and he would prob still rack up tries for australia on the end of slick moves from a quality side but its becoming evident a lot of his tries need manufacturing for him well in advance of the try line 

• Haha 1

Ryan Sutton again named on the reserves bench for the Raiders.  I thought he looked pretty good in the trials but not had a shot so far this year with Whitehead moving to 13 and others preferred on the bench despite the Raiders mixed form.

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Ryan Sutton again named on the reserves bench for the Raiders.  I thought he looked pretty good in the trials but not had a shot so far this year with Whitehead moving to 13 and others preferred on the bench despite the Raiders mixed form.

Sticky does like to carry on a grudge.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Sticky does like to carry on a grudge.

Indeed . Ryan Sutton should be in that 17 by right . He’s been one of their most consistent players for some time . Guys like Hudson Young and Horsburgh aren’t better than him . There are many players moving on at the end of the season playing regularly for their sides .  

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Ryan Sutton should be in that 17 by right . He’s been one of their most consistent players for some time . Guys like Hudson Young and Horsburgh aren’t better than him . There are many players moving on at the end of the season playing regularly for their sides .  

I just don't get Stuart's thinking behind having Whitehead at 13.  Yes, he wants Hudson Young and Corey Harawira-Naera in the side but Whitehead for me is not a middle forward.  I am a big fan of his but his contribution in the middle is not where it needs to be and this puts extra pressure on the props.  Whitehead is good with the ball in his hands but so are Yeo, Murray and Radley and they also offer more running as well... Whitehead is just not doing this. 

Will he get better, maybe.  But I really think the Raiders would be a better outfit with Sutton at 13 and Whitehead back on the edge.

• Like 7