Brits in the NRL

1 minute ago, Alan Robertson said:

I thought Rushton looked decent for an NRL debut. The Panthers' defence was pretty relentless and Rushton took all of this in his stride. Despite being a fairly young kid, he also looked 'NRL-sized'. Not the biggest out of the 34 players but a 'very reasonable' size.

I agree. He took some contact but didn't lose a ruck.  And this is from 80 minutes of the Panthers relentlessly driving the Raiders ball carriers backwards in the tackle.

Sutton as well was one of the few Raiders who wasn't physically dominated.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

G`day Harry, I don`t want to derail this thread because I know that those on here like to discuss Brits in the NRL and not have it hijacked by other topics, so I`ll attempt to be brief.

A couple of points: 1) for some on here it appears to be picking Australians, even if they are legitimately eligible, to beat Australia is the problem, if they were a different nationality who had become eligible for English selection would that be different ?

2) I read a bit of English history and with all due respect you blokes have been using mercenaries for ever, only the other day I was reading about the famous Polish fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain, so famous they were used in promotional material around England. No problems with ring-ins there, it was all about winning.

I think you have a point Rocket.

There seems to be less controversy over someone like Mikołaj Olędzki playing than some one like Hastings. Olędzki was born in Poland and (I believe) has entirely Polish ancestry but his family moved to Britain when he was a child. Hastings does have some some British ancestry, but I don't think he had a strong emotional connection to the UK before signing for Salford.

We could simplify international qualification by ruling that players can only play for a country they are a citizen of, but then there's the potential for the issues they've had in other sports where some countries hand out passports to athletes just so they can represent their national team.

If I were in charge of international selection I think I would take a middle ground approach and judge it on a case by case basis - I think if someone is going to represent a country, they should have a real heart felt connection with that country. I would talk to people like Hasting and if they can tell me how much it means to represent England, how he grew up sitting on granny's lap listening to emotional stories of merry old England with a tear in his eye, then if he's good enough he's in.

If he's as Australian as they come, isn't good enough for the Kangaroos, happens to have a grandparent born in the UK but no emotional connection, then I wouldn't usually consider them for selection.

• Like 2

I won't comment on the pros and cons of selecting heritage players, as differences of opinion/arguments are inevitable.

I watched the post-match interview with Hastings and Brooks, and Hastings talking about his team-mate was just a wonderful example of how he's positively affecting things there at Wests.

I wonder whether Wane will sound him out when he heads down to the Magic Weekend... He's probably the in-form English-eligible stand-off.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

Well done Harry Rushton on making his debut , it literally can’t get harder than that . I don’t think I’ve seen a side like this Panthers outfit . He stood up fine and I think what I’ve seen of him he’ll have a good career given the chance with the Raiders 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Well, I don't think anyone is surprised by your stupidity.

If anyone represents a nation and puts their body on the line for it then they're just as worthy as anyone (as long as they meet the IRL criteria).

These guys aren't being paid millions to play for these nations. And if you qualify by residency then all the more power to you. Taking 5 years out of your career so you can represent your adopted nation? Pretty big commitment when the average career is probably less than 5 years.

But hey, let's keep the bloodlines pure and all that.

My stupidity, I will treat what you say with the contempt it deserves, maybe when you learn a bit you will read back what you have just said and think whoops did I really say that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I won't comment on the pros and cons of selecting heritage players, as differences of opinion/arguments are inevitable.

I watched the post-match interview with Hastings and Brooks, and Hastings talking about his team-mate was just a wonderful example of how he's positively affecting things there at Wests.

I wonder whether Wane will sound him out when he heads down to the Magic Weekend... He's probably the in-form English-eligible stand-off.

To me, Hastings is not a stand off and that was why Wigan struggled last year. He is an organiser but he is not a creative half, which was symptomatic to Wigan’s lack of tries. I’d certainly consider him at scrum half, particularly with Dodd out and Gale past his best

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

To me, Hastings is not a stand off and that was why Wigan struggled last year. He is an organiser but he is not a creative half, which was symptomatic to Wigan’s lack of tries. I’d certainly consider him at scrum half, particularly with Dodd out and Gale past his best

It's true that his range of passing mightn't be exceptional, but he has got vision and game awareness.

Partner him with a running scrum-half/half-back (George Williams, Mikey Lewis, etc.) and I think that you'd have quite a potent mix.

Lomax is a better passer than Hastings I feel, but Hastings has the hallmarks of taking his generalship to a new level for Wests this season.

With Tomkins in the team, he'd be the creative cog in the machine firing the final (cut-out) ball.

I just think it would balance out well: an organiser at 6, a runner with a good kicking game at 7, and a ball player floating and finding his moments at 1.

• Like 1

‘ Wane revealed that he will sound out Newcastle Knights’ former Huddersfield winger Dom Young about the possibility of playing for England.

And he says Brisbane Broncos’ Lancashire-born centre Herbie Farnworth is back in his thoughts after being dropped from his elite squad last year for failing to meet standards off the pitch ‘ .

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

‘ Wane revealed that he will sound out Newcastle Knights’ former Huddersfield winger Dom Young about the possibility of playing for England.

And he says Brisbane Broncos’ Lancashire-born centre Herbie Farnworth is back in his thoughts after being dropped from his elite squad last year for failing to meet standards off the pitch ‘ .

Is this from a report or website David?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Not sure if it has already been posted but at least we now know why Wane dropped Farnworth from the England squad.   It was for turning up late for Zoom. Don't know how many times.

He is back in the fold with Wane saying "He’s gone on the meetings I’ve had with the NRL players on time.  People might think that’s nothing but to me it’s everything."

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/herbie-farnworth-back-in-england-contention-says-shaun-wane/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure if it has already been posted but at least we now know why Wane dropped Farnworth from the England squad.   It was for turning up late for Zoom. Don't know how many times.

He is back in the fold with Wane saying "He’s gone on the meetings I’ve had with the NRL players on time.  People might think that’s nothing but to me it’s everything."

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/herbie-farnworth-back-in-england-contention-says-shaun-wane/

Zak Hardaker has been late on a number of occasions for Wigan training (where Wane also works) yet is in the England squad. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This was spoken of at the time and I thought it was very poor by Wane then and still do. Considering the time difference, other commitments he may have had and any possible technical issues I just think it's a weak reason. I certainly think he was treated differently than a more senior player would have been and in my opinion it's like Wane wanted to make an example of someone and he was an easy target.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This was spoken of at the time and I thought it was very poor by Wane then and still do. Considering the time difference, other commitments he may have had and any possible technical issues I just think it's a weak reason. I certainly think he was treated differently than a more senior player would have been and in my opinion it's like Wane wanted to make an example of someone and he was an easy target.

Also a case of a coach with far too much time on his hands

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Was travelling away with the Broncos at the time of the meeting. Issues with internet at the host hotel. Wane dropping him, just being the bully that he is. Throwing his weight around just because he can. Excellent man manager…….not.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Was travelling away with the Broncos at the time of the meeting. Issues with internet at the host hotel. Wane dropping him, just being the bully that he is. Throwing his weight around just because he can. Excellent man manager…….not.

Actually, I think it’s entirely justified. These were team meetings - they were the only way at the time that the group could get together. If he’s late, he’s wasting everyone else’s time, and let’s face it is hardly a commitment to hop on one of those. If Farnworth knew he was likely to have issues, because of travel or whatever, then he should have notified Wane in advance. He had one thing to do for the cause - turn up on a Zoom call - and failed. What do you expect Wane to infer?

In any case, he’s now back in the fold by the sounds of it. 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Actually, I think it’s entirely justified. These were team meetings - they were the only way at the time that the group could get together. If he’s late, he’s wasting everyone else’s time, and let’s face it is hardly a commitment to hop on one of those. If Farnworth knew he was likely to have issues, because of travel or whatever, then he should have notified Wane in advance. He had one thing to do for the cause - turn up on a Zoom call - and failed. What do you expect Wane to infer?

In any case, he’s now back in the fold by the sounds of it. 

For me it is all dependent on Farnworth's attitude to being late. If he had messaged Wane beforehand explaining he'll be away with the Broncos, had checked his Internet connection 30 mins before and when he finally turned up to the meeting was contrite and apologetic then I think dropping him was unfair. If he had attempted to log on 30 seconds before the meeting and when he failed had not accepted any responsibility then I don't blame Wane. Unfortunately I suspect we won't know and I imagine that the two would each give different versions of it.

Though as you say, it's done now, he's back in contention and I hope he has a great season and a great world cup.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Dropping him because of not making a Zoom call on time?

Pffffttt, that doesn't say a lot for Wane in my eyes.

Think it says more about the young lads attitude to playing for his country to be honest.

If the England manager arranged a call with me in a WC year I would have been sitting waiting and testing the connection etc ages before the call - maybe the young lad, playing for the biggest Rugby club in the world at such a young age has let it go to his head a bit.

If its true he showed the England manager no respect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

Think it says more about the young lads attitude to playing for his country to be honest.

If the England manager arranged a call with me in a WC year I would have been sitting waiting and testing the connection etc ages before the call - maybe the young lad, playing for the biggest Rugby club in the world at such a young age has let it go to his head a bit.

It depends on his mindset, as someone said above. 

I can understand that he might have been focused on other stuff when travelling with his club.

Just on the face of it, I think it's a weakish reason to have dropped him. Anyway, glad it's been smoothed over.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Or maybe he had training with the Broncos and couldn't sit there waiting. Maybe the connection dropped just before or he had other technical issues, it happens all the time.

All ifs, buts and maybes, from both points of view, but it seems crazy to jump to conclusions and question his commitment and say playing in the NRL has gone to his head on the back of it.

• Like 3

Anyway, back on the pitch Farnworth had a good game this morning.  One of the Broncos best in a good win.

• Haha 1

Farnworth was great tonight and is emerging as a genuine star more with each game. Brisbane are on the up and he's a big reason why. Maybe, just maybe, Wane's little wake up call to him has worked? Brisbane is a club that had obvious attitude problems amongst its players over the last couple of years. So who knows? Maybe he did need a clip over the ears. It's no big deal. Young players slip up and get disciplined all the time. He's clearly responded well and looks like a certainty for the world cup.

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 1