Brits in the NRL

@Dunbar Reckon you`d pleased with this news, well at least the second part.👍

" Wests Tigers playmaker Jackson Hastings is among the NRL-based players England coach Shaun Wane will be watching closely when he visits Brisbane for next month's Magic Round."

"Hastings qualifies for England through his grandmother and after playing four Tests for Great Britain in 2019, he is no longer eligible for Australia as players can only represent one tier one nation (Australia, England or New Zealand) during their careers." 

Gee that`s tough, so it looks like it`s either England or no one for him now, but he must have known that when he signed up for you in 2019, so it would be tough to leave him out if you thought he wasn`t English enough.

Anyway the full article, I dare say you`ll be glad Wane`s coming over, timing it with Magic weekend is probably not a bad idea.

NRL 2022: Jackson Hastings, Wests Tigers, England, World Cup, grandmother, Shaun Wane, St George Illawarra Dragons, Wigan, Salford - NRL

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

@Dunbar Reckon you`d pleased with this news, well at least the second part.👍

" Wests Tigers playmaker Jackson Hastings is among the NRL-based players England coach Shaun Wane will be watching closely when he visits Brisbane for next month's Magic Round."

"Hastings qualifies for England through his grandmother and after playing four Tests for Great Britain in 2019, he is no longer eligible for Australia as players can only represent one tier one nation (Australia, England or New Zealand) during their careers." 

Gee that`s tough, so it looks like it`s either England or no one for him now, but he must have known that when he signed up for you in 2019, so it would be tough to leave him out if you thought he wasn`t English enough.

Anyway the full article, I dare say you`ll be glad Wane`s coming over, timing it with Magic weekend is probably not a bad idea.

NRL 2022: Jackson Hastings, Wests Tigers, England, World Cup, grandmother, Shaun Wane, St George Illawarra Dragons, Wigan, Salford - NRL

That is factually incorrect. Great Britain is an exhibition representative team and not a nation or member of the IRL. Hastings can still play for Australia and NSW in Origin. Brad Walter is mistaken. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That is factually incorrect. Great Britain is an exhibition representative team and not a nation or member of the IRL. Hastings can still play for Australia and NSW in Origin. Brad Walter is mistaken. 

Yes, what I was going to post.

He mentions that England, Australia and New Zealand are tier 1 nations and then mentions a completely different entity in Great Britain!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

He mentions that England, Australia and New Zealand are tier 1 nations and then mentions a completely different entity in Great Britain!

He should know better and so should the NRL for publishing it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Very poor. But you only have to go and look at the Great Britain vs. Australia tests in the 80's to hear the Australian commentators call GB 'England' all the time to see they have never really known the difference. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Actually, we are wrong and the article is right.  Here is the eligibility rules and key line below:

a Player who has elected to represent Great Britain cannot ever then elect 
to represent Australia or New Zealand

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/international-rugby-leagues-eligibility-rules-updated/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Actually, we are wrong and the article is right.  Here is the eligibility rules and key line below:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/international-rugby-leagues-eligibility-rules-updated/

That is bloody lunacy. Great Britain are not a member of the IRL. This makes no sense whatsoever? Does this include the Prime Minister's XIII? What about the Moari All Stars?

Also those rules are being enforced retrospectively, it could be challenged if Hastings got near Origin selection.

Edited by Scubby

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Very poor. But you only have to go and look at the Great Britain vs. Australia tests in the 80's to hear the Australian commentators call GB 'England' all the time to see they have never really known the difference. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

47 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That is bloody lunacy. Great Britain are not a member of the IRL. This makes no sense whatsoever? Does this include the Prime Minister's XIII? What about the Moari All Stars?

Also those rules are being enforced retrospectively, it could be challenged if Hastings got near Origin selection.

What a pair, it`s like the skit of a pair of British Officers; "that is factually incorrect", " he should have known better ", " very poor ", " this is bloody lunacy ".... " actually we are wrong ".

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

There was definitely chatter about this at the time of the GB tour, and I certainly remember the view being shared that playing GB wouldn't prevent other representation. As the rules changed afterwards, the lawyers would be rubbing their hands. 

Also, strictly speaking the origin eligibility rules specifically name England and New Zealand representation as the block to playing, so perhaps this would allow Hastings to still play origin. Plus he played junior origin, and his father played senior origin, both of which are qualifiers so I reckon there'd be a fuss if he was prevented. 

No skin off my nose though, I'd rather see him in an England shirt this autumn! 

• Like 2

Well done Luke Thompson for being named co captain of the Bulldogs this morning and helping then to secure a good win against the Roosters. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well done Luke Thompson for being named co captain of the Bulldogs this morning and helping then to secure a good win against the Roosters. 

Biggest shock of the season? I'm looking forward to catching the highlights.

Gildart looked a bit under-sized and found the going tough in attack and defence against the Dragons. He was picked up on one occasion and slung into the ground by one of the Dragons' right edge.

Hastings with a couple of nice moments but he seemed to be farming the ball out and letting Brooks get more time on the ball for wider running and kicking. He wasn't everywhere like he has been in a couple of recent games. Still a relatively solid performance, in rather a dull, low-scoring losing effort.

6 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Gildart looked a bit under-sized and found the going tough in attack and defence against the Dragons. He was picked up on one occasion and slung into the ground by one of the Dragons' right edge.

Hastings with a couple of nice moments but he seemed to be farming the ball out and letting Brooks get more time on the ball for wider running and kicking. He wasn't everywhere like he has been in a couple of recent games. Still a relatively solid performance, in rather a dull, low-scoring losing effort.

Gildart looks out of his depth in first grade NRL sadly. Too small, not quick enough and being spotted in defence. He will make some more appearances for the Tigers I'm sure but he's been dropped once already and the season is only a third in. 

• Like 1

Gildart looks out of his depth in first grade NRL sadly. Too small, not quick enough and being spotted in defence. He will make some more appearances for the Tigers I'm sure but he's been dropped once already and the season is only a third in. 

I think that's a bit harsh on today's performance.  He jumped the line and missed his tackle on Ben Hunt and that was a big mistake in such a tight game but otherwise I didn't think he was too bad.

He was up against Zac Lomax and wasn't overrun.  In fact I thought he got the better of him a few times with some good footwork.

Gildart will not be a standout in the NRL but I think its a bit harsh to say he is out of his depth.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I thought today`s game was a classic case of two sides wanting to keep a winning run going and not taking any risks. 

It was a game which needed one team to score which would then force the other team to play some football, which did eventually happen, up to that point both teams looked a little uninspiring though. 

Personally I don`t mind Griffin having St. George playing this type of football, because when we come against the top sides grit and hanging in there in games and giving yourself a chance at the end of the game will be crucial.

The rag-dolling of Gildart where he lost the ball was by Lomax and was instructive, I`ve got nothing against Gildart but that exchange showed he will struggle against big aggressive opposing centres. The Tigers` will be sweating on the return of Tommy Talau or Douehi, big ins both of them.

Talking of Hastings not being everywhere, last week he had 91 touches in the game, breaking his own record of 81 from the week before, which in turn had broken Ben Hunt`s round 5`s  76 touches. 91 is lot of touches when it is likely that your team probably only actually had the ball for between 25 - 30 minutes in the match.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Talking of Hastings not being everywhere, last week he had 91 touches in the game, breaking his own record of 81 from the week before, which in turn had broken Ben Hunt`s round 5`s  76 touches. 91 is lot of touches when it is likely that your team probably only actually had the ball for between 25 - 30 minutes in the match.

91 touches in one game is astonishing.

So basically in 80 minutes Hastings played the ball more than Josh Charnley did in a whole season at Sale Sharks? 😀

Can I ask for a bit of stock taking, please?

What's the full list of all the British players in the NRL and then in the NSW and QL Cups. please?

9 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

So basically in 80 minutes Hastings played the ball more than Josh Charnley did in a whole season at Sale Sharks? 😀

What's the full list of all the British players in the NRL and then in the NSW and QL Cups. please?

Mate you`re asking the wrong bloke there, but I`m pretty sure there was a list put a while back with about 10 players on it. That didn`t include a young bloke I believe recently signed by Souths.

26 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

In NRL there is:

Elliot Whitehead
Josh Hodgson
Tom Burgess
George Burgess
Herbie Farnworth
Dom Young
Ryan Sutton
Luke Thompson
Oliver Gildart
Bailey Hodgson
Harry Rushton

Plus Jackson Hastings who qualifies for England and has played for GB and Sam Walker who is Australian but born in Leeds.

I'm not sure about NWS/Qld Cups or who the lad Souths have signed is.

• Thanks 1

Tom Burgess is the only Brit to get a nomination for the NRM.com team of the week.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/01/vote-for-the-team-of-the-week/

Personally I think Farnworth could also have been in there.  His teammate Staggs got a nomination, probably because he won the much anticipated personal duel with Talakai. 

I think they could easily have both been in the list but Moses Suli, Campbell Graham and Justin Olam all had good weeks.

He really wasn’t,he had a solid if unspectacular game,his decision to rush Hunt was the correct call but not making the tackle after doing so was the one black mark on his performance.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I thought today`s game was a classic case of two sides wanting to keep a winning run going and not taking any risks. 

It was a game which needed one team to score which would then force the other team to play some football, which did eventually happen, up to that point both teams looked a little uninspiring though. 

Personally I don`t mind Griffin having St. George playing this type of football, because when we come against the top sides grit and hanging in there in games and giving yourself a chance at the end of the game will be crucial.

The rag-dolling of Gildart where he lost the ball was by Lomax and was instructive, I`ve got nothing against Gildart but that exchange showed he will struggle against big aggressive opposing centres. The Tigers` will be sweating on the return of Tommy Talau or Douehi, big ins both of them.

To be fair Gildart was stood with his back to play after bringing in a loose pass and was open season for any sort of big hit/tackle,Lomax is a big aggressive centre and I thought they had a close hard fought battle all game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

He really wasn’t,he had a solid if unspectacular game,his decision to rush Hunt was the correct call but not making the tackle after doing so was the one black mark on his performance.

He really is. He is a meek player in many ways and rarely seems to trouble the line. He was in better form 2-3 years ago but was indifferent at the end of his spell at Wigan.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tigers fan. Hastings is a very good halfback - England would be mad to not pick him. Gildart is very clearly out of his depth at NRL. Poor decision making in defence, too small and not great at putting his winger away.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1