Brits in the NRL

56 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I was thinking the same thing but you never hear him mentioned any more, but he was as good as anyone when he was over here and a smart football player as well. Agree on paper they look together.

I'm not sure that a Lomax/Hastings pairing would unsettle and surprise and present different looks. I'm sure they'd be good, but as a potential pairing they seem a bit samey and one-paced for me.

A halves pairing is all about balance and complementation. An in-form Williams would bring an incisiveness and a running spark that would energise and add threats all over the park.

Other options may be Widdop, moving Tomkins to 6 with Welsby at FB, or bringing in young Will Pryce - who is explosive and exciting but still very raw.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Williams,  if he can get some form.

Lomax is a better edge passer but I think there would be more variety and threat with a controller and a runner.

Definitely an option.  You have to pick half back combinations rather than individuals. 

I think Lomax is a better player than Williams but partnering a player like Hastings, Williams may be a better option.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

45 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Some combination of Tomkins, WIlliams, Widdop, Hastings and Lomax could well work. 

Welsby would make a great bench player and could allow Tomkins to move to 6 in the game at points and vary the attack. He can also fill in the centres. Shame about Dodd - he and Lomax were looking a brilliant pairing and sometimes club connections work like that in bigger arenas. 

• Like 2

Whitehead and Sutton were ok for the Raiders this morning. 

A strange game for Thompson... he did a lot of work in defence in the first half (although was partly responsible for the Frawly try) but only 14 run metres.  He started the second half better with some strong carries and then came off.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Just watched the Souths vs Brisbane game over my evening meal.

What an enjoyable game to watch! Reynolds - up against his old team - had the ball on a string and guided his team beautifully. Herbie at left centre had a wonderful game I thought. Assured, classy, confident, a threat. I loved his footwork and poise to take his try, but it's his all-round professional application that most impresses. He's just going really well and putting together the little things to do well.

Fun game on a Thursday night!

Just hope the Broncos aren't flogging him. He's had his knee strapped heavily for a few weeks now.  He's not 100% fit, but still playing well.

• Like 2

Canberra -Dogs was extremely average and our two Raiders were ok in a team with huff and puff but not much quality , and Thompson was pretty quiet in a Dogs team who looked like they’d been on the lash all week after winning last time out 

It was such a drab affair in Canberra that I switched over to the Super Rugby to see how RTS was going for the Blues against the Rebels. He was running good support lines, finding offloads and setting up tries. Blues won 71-28, LOL

A lot more energy and crispness of execution on show compared to the NRL game.

Whitehead took his try well on his return but it was a very forgettable and uninspiring meeting between these two.

Gildart had to move to the wing very early in today's game following an injury but he did OK.  Including this well taken try.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/07/gildart-closes-gap-for-wests-tigers/

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Gildart had to move to the wing very early in today's game following an injury but he did OK.  Including this well taken try.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/07/gildart-closes-gap-for-wests-tigers/

He was also picked up and easily carried into touch in the first half. It was a better showing from him but even the commentators mentioned his size.

10 hours ago, Scubby said:

He was also picked up and easily carried into touch in the first half. It was a better showing from him but even the commentators mentioned his size.

I have also mentioned his size.  I am not really sure why we always want to highlight the worst of his plays. 

Yes, he got pushed into touch but he made 3 linebreaks, 8 tackle busts and scored a well taken try so some good some bad, like most players in most games.

Feels like once we have identified a player on here we think will fail we have to just focus on the negative so we can claim he is out of his depth.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

I think Gildart had a good game today . Moved out onto the wing but looked sharp with the ball and with a good turn of pace given the chance . Some nice runs and took his try very well , showing his main attributes . I’m not sure he’d agree with the commentators that Peachey should continue in the centres as he played like a forward playing centre , very reluctant to pass to Gildart . The try he had disallowed was ridiculous , Gildart had a walk in 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

I don''t really have interest in Brits in the NRL for lots of reasons but mostly much of the related punditry, but when those picked play for England I'll be really involved.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I don''t really have interest in Brits in the NRL for lots of reasons but mostly much of the related punditry, but when those picked play for England I'll be really involved.

OK, thanks for letting us know.

• Haha 1

Commented earlier that Gildart isn't up to standard - still true, but he is a go-er and has a good knack of beating first defender with his footwork. Not a winger for sure, moved there out of necessity. Give him 12 months and his defence could improve enough to hold his own. 

Hastings is the best 7 England have. Him and Williams too similiar though IMO. I'd be tempted to put Widdop in at 5/8 if he is fit. Farnsworth is killing it at the moment - walk up start for mine. England should field a pretty decent pack and spine - bit thin on outside backs though. 

On 05/05/2022 at 20:24, Anita Bath said:

The bloke scored 17 tries from 14 starts last season in a team that just edged into the play offs. Would have been more if Holbrook hadnt already started messing with starting him on the bench.

There have been times in recent games (cowboys away, Penrith at home) when at times he has been pushed onto the wing!  Holbrook has lost the plot and needs to go. The team has no idea how to score points. Losing Taylor and Fogarty at the same time left them with nobody to run the game. The experiment with brimson in the halfs failed and Sexton needs to go back to tweed for a while. He looks lost, but there is no one else in the squad to play 7.

If you put the Titans halves in the Penrith or Melbourne teams they would lose every week.

Not harsh this but I agree with most of what you say about the Titans. They’ve definitely regressed since last year, a large part due to the loss of Fogarty guiding them around the field. The Titans have spent all their cap on their forward pack. Their spine other than Brimson is woeful and their outside backs are also very ordinary 

37 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

OK, thanks for letting us know.

No problem, do you need anything else while you address other things?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, Balmainboy said:

Him and Williams too similiar though IMO.

Hastings and Williams are very different.  Hastings is a very good game manager and organiser while Williams is more off the cuff, a runner and an individual threat.

To be fair, if you watch mostly NRL, Stuart was trying to turn him into that organising half but it is not his natural game.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 09:54, Exiled Wiganer said:

Some combination of Tomkins, WIlliams, Widdop, Hastings and Lomax could well work. 

Think Widdop has been very poor in SL, Williams was never top draw at Wigan but his spell in the NRL has hindered his progress.

Lomax is a good safe option for England but I would add Hastings in as well but if he can get his form back the X factor that Gale gives you means he should start with Lomax with Hastings the squad option if one doesn't perform.

Whitehead and McMeekan in the 2nd row and we have to persuade Roby to play in the WC and delay retirement by 2 months.

Edited by Mr Frisky

Gale strikes me as being a million miles off selection. He's done pretty much nothing at FC.

Lomax and Hastings should be certainties for the squad. Williams isn't going great but I would back him to pull his socks up in the international arena. Widdop is a fine player but he's been really disappointing so far this term. He's a possibility, but I don't know that I'd be picking him on his current form.

I'd probably have Mikey Lewis in the squad. I hope he comes back from his injury and plays well. He's a running threat.

At the moment, I'd like: Lomax, Hastings, Williams, Lewis, Tomkins. Tomkins could move to SO in games and unleash Welsby on 50-55-60 minutes.

As to the NRL, I'm glad to hear that Gildart had an OK game and bagged a try. I didn't see the game myself and will try to catch the highlights.

Edited by StandOffHalf

It's just nice to see Herbie in a side that can actually win a match and let him show his talents off properly.

It's also slightly surprising, after the last couple of years' wretched performances, for that team to be Brisbane. 🤯

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It's just nice to see Herbie in a side that can actually win a match and let him show his talents off properly.

It's also slightly surprising, after the last couple of years' wretched performances, for that team to be Brisbane. 🤯

Have to say, I have been critical of Kevin Walters on here but he has introduced a real tough side to the Broncos this year.  They play for each other and keep turning up, especially in defence.

• Like 2