Brits in the NRL

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say, I have been critical of Kevin Walters on here but he has introduced a real tough side to the Broncos this year.  They play for each other and keep turning up, especially in defence.

Let's face it, it took a TON of patience from the club, considering the absolute garbage Brisbane served up for most of Walters' time in charge.

So there's also plenty of credit owed to the people above him who kept faith.

• Confused 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Let's face it, it took a TON of patience from the club, considering the absolute garbage Brisbane served up for most of Walters' time in charge.

So there's also plenty of credit owed to the people above him who kept faith.

He's only 9 games into his second season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He's only 9 games into his second season.

Yes, but the Broncos were really, pathetically, spirit-sappingly, not-even-a-bad-joke rotten during most of that period. If that had happened in a sporting league that had P&R, do you think Kevvie would still be in the job?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Balmainboy said:

Commented earlier that Gildart isn't up to standard - still true, but he is a go-er and has a good knack of beating first defender with his footwork. Not a winger for sure, moved there out of necessity. Give him 12 months and his defence could improve enough to hold his own. 

Hastings is the best 7 England have. Him and Williams too similiar though IMO. I'd be tempted to put Widdop in at 5/8 if he is fit. Farnsworth is killing it at the moment - walk up start for mine. England should field a pretty decent pack and spine - bit thin on outside backs though. 

*Farnworth.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It's just nice to see Herbie in a side that can actually win a match and let him show his talents off properly.

It's also slightly surprising, after the last couple of years' wretched performances, for that team to be Brisbane. 🤯

He’d be showing much more of his talents if he got earlier ball. He’s got so much more to show. He’d kill it at full back, his favoured position.

• Like 1

Gildart's in a similar situation now to Farnworth in the 2021 season. Trying to make a mark in a side that's been a disastrous, undisciplined rabble for too long.

Astonishing that this is a Michael Maguire club, given what he did for Wigan*, but something's come loose somewhere.

*in that case, maybe too much discipline.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, but the Broncos were really, pathetically, spirit-sappingly, not-even-a-bad-joke rotten during most of that period. If that had happened in a sporting league that had P&R, do you think Kevvie would still be in the job?

Axe to grind mate? He inherited a wooden spoon team getting smashed by 50 every week, looking dispirited and unfit, holding gender reveal parties in the field after being belted. A shambles. He spent last year clearing out the deadwood, changing the culture and turning them around. By year end, they were competing every week and winning the odd game. Now they're in the top 6, beating top sides. Clear upward trajectory from almost the day Walters came in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

He’d be showing much more of his talents if he got earlier ball. He’s got so much more to show. He’d kill it at full back, his favoured position.

The Dolphins could do far worse than give him an offer he can't refuse and first shot at fullback, given he's supposedly met with Bennett over the last few days it could well happen - any chance of that scenario eventuating you think?

My only concern would be the rest of the Dolphins recruitment to back him up, at the moment they look to have missed all "marquee" targets which in turn makes the rest of their squad filling more difficult. Moving from a Broncos team on the up to a team well in reach of a spoon may end up a case of one step forward two steps backwards.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 22:41, Futtocks said:

As I say, I have been critical as well but come on, he has done a good job to turn them around in attitude in just over a season.  Time will tell if it will continue but for now he has done well.

And to answer your question. If there was P&R he would have been coaching a division 2 team last year as they finished last in 2020 before he came in.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Young Dom Young showed up very well for Newcastle in the opening game of Magic Round I thought. 

He was caught up in the line and was a bit slow to turn as Addo-Carr got the hop on him to score. Other than that, he was impressive, and I thought he was one of the better players in the game. A few good carries helped out his team, and he capped off his game by rounding up the Foxx and bundling him into touch.

Luke Thompson looked worn out. He's working hard but seems to be taking too many hit-ups and not running or off-loading like he did at Saints. I'm not sure the Bulldogs are getting the best out of him.

• Like 2

I thought Herbie looked really classy in a humming, confident Brisbane team as they piled on another big score. Reynolds pulling the strings and the outside backs look to have a nice balance.

Enjoying watching the Broncs in full flow at the moment!

• Like 1

Fantastic reaction  and tackle by Dom Young on The Fox . Watching it it looks like The Fox should skin him but he did tremendously well . I think he’s a great athlete . Thompson put in some hard work then faded in a truly terrible Dogs team . Herbie continues to be very impressive 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Luke Thompson looked worn out. He's working hard but seems to be taking too many hit-ups and not running or off-loading like he did at Saints. I'm not sure the Bulldogs are getting the best out of him.

Agreed. Barrett wants him to be little more than a battering ram and tackle machine. He has more to offer than that. I'd like to see him moved to 13, but unfortunately Bulldogs' poster boy Josh Jackson has that position nailed.

33 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Young Dom Young showed up very well for Newcastle in the opening game of Magic Round I thought. 

He was caught up in the line and was a bit slow to turn as Addo-Carr got the hop on him to score. Other than that, he was impressive, and I thought he was one of the better players in the game. A few good carries helped out his team, and he capped off his game by rounding up the Foxx and bundling him into touch.

My view is that Thompson isn't getting the ball at the right time.  Yes, he is working hard in defence and carrying ok but they need to use his footwork and speed of the mark in more attacking situations. 

When he carries the ball he is noticeably quicker than the other Bulldogs forwards and I would be looking to use that in more attacking positions. 

But as others have said, he isn't playing in the best team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Agreed. Barrett wants him to be little more than a battering ram and tackle machine. He has more to offer than that. I'd like to see him moved to 13, but unfortunately Bulldogs' poster boy Josh Jackson has that position nailed.

I'm just dying to see a little of the off-the-cuff inventiveness and variety that we saw from him at Saints. He's got a great engine, but those added attributes make him a more dangerous and effective player.

It was good to see Dom Young take Addo-Carr into touch but the best of his work was his carries away from his own line.

Not only did he hold his hand up plenty of times, he carried the ball really well... his 74 post contact metres was only bettered in the game by 2 props, Paul Vaughn and David Klemmer.

• Like 4

Thompson is not only playing in the worst team it’s evident he’s playing in the worst coached team . It really is staggering to see how inept and limited their attack is . They have the players now to throw something at defences but the lack of fluidity , imagination and impact is amazing. Thompson is just one example , all the things he’s good at and presumably why they signed him are just strangled . Burton looked a world beater last year , this year he looks pretty lost . He also looks like Cleary had him right in playing him in the centres . He’s very much an individual talent , but even so players like him who were bought to make an impact look shackled and fragmented in this team . I’ve no idea what Barrett’s plan is or what stamp he’s put on that team . Buy some players and shove them in isn’t exactly enough 

Edited by DavidM

I agree - i thought Young had a good game. The match was pretty poor but the tackle where he snared Addo Carr was a real highlight. 

The Bulldogs were awful - only tactic after a decent 10 minutes was Burton smashing it up in the air and hoping Ponga would drop it. Thompson does not get much to work with, would be good to see him at a better team and see what he can really do 

Edited by Rawschach
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rawschach said:

Burton smashing it up in the air and hoping Ponga would drop it.

The commentators go crazy whenever he does that . Yeh it’s impressive in itself but it’s meant to be the add on to an attacking system , not the whole after 5 plays of nothing 

• Like 2

On 08/05/2022 at 10:42, ghost crayfish said:

Axe to grind mate? He inherited a wooden spoon team getting smashed by 50 every week, looking dispirited and unfit, holding gender reveal parties in the field after being belted. A shambles. He spent last year clearing out the deadwood, changing the culture and turning them around. By year end, they were competing every week and winning the odd game. Now they're in the top 6, beating top sides. Clear upward trajectory from almost the day Walters came in.

Same here, I have been critical of his appointment and performance but he has proved me wrong. As impressive as the attack was last night it was shutting out Manly that separated the current team from what we have had to watch for the last two years. 

Its still not clear how much of the recent form is down to a fully fit Adam Reynolds. As recent as the easter game at Penrith there was a second half collapse with Reynolds struggling with what looked like an injury.

Afraid there is still much to do on the culture…..still a list of misdemeanours that increases weekly….it was Cobbo’s turn this week.

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Brent Naden signing for Wests is surely another blow to Oliver Gildart's chances of getting anything like regular first grade game time. 

I was just about to post the same. Certainly makes it tougher holding down a first grade spot, but if he is to make it in the NRL he'll just need to up his game.

Naden hasn't shown much since his switch to Canterbury, and Jimmy the Jet hasn't shown any signs of recapturing his form of a few years ago.. so I still feel Gildart can do well, and maybe get one of those two centre spots. He still doesn't look comfortable in his surroundings to me. But hopefully that will come.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

interesting to see what happens to luke thompson after the sacking of trent barrett 

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Herbie had another good performance against the knights capped off with a last min try - however the 2 huge blunders by Dom Young gave the Broncos a leg up - made some good metres bringing  the ball away but would like to see him break a tackle and get in the clear just for once

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile