Brits in the NRL

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Cooper succeed because he kept it simple - work your ### off. Every week he would do lots of basic grunt work. Every team needs a few of those guys and coaches will keep picking them.

Joe Burgess' biggest problem was that he went to the wrong team. Easts already had Latrell, Blake Ferguson, Tupou and Manu playing on the wings. If they ran short they could move SKD to the wing and put Mitch Aubo in SKD's centre spot.

His record at Souths wasn’t too shabby,they just waited too long to offer him a contract.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

His record at Souths wasn’t too shabby,they just waited too long to offer him a contract.

accidental post

Edited by Farmduck

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Cooper succeed because he kept it simple - work your ### off. Every week he would do lots of basic grunt work. Every team needs a few of those guys and coaches will keep picking them.

Joe Burgess' biggest problem was that he went to the wrong team. Easts already had Latrell, Blake Ferguson, Tupou and Manu playing on the wings. If they ran short they could move SKD to the wing and put Mitch Aubo in SKD's centre spot.

Burgess scored tries and didn't look at all out of place when given a go.

Unfortunately Gildart does look a bit out of place at times. I do have to think that it is largely because he is giving away a stone or two to opposite numbers.

Mixed afternoon for Dom Young . Tremendous running from his own end , getting some sets off to great starts . This is a real strength of his . Counterbalanced by some errors and defensive lapses , including a poor effort on Cotric . He’s still young and raw but gives everything and gets himself involved . Eliott Whitehead sinbinned with a pretty silly play and it cost Canberra , nearly fatally . They were pretty fortunate 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mixed afternoon for Dom Young . Tremendous running from his own end , getting some sets off to great starts . This is a real strength of his . Counterbalanced by some errors and defensive lapses , including a poor effort on Cotric . He’s still young and raw but gives everything and gets himself involved . Eliott Whitehead sinbinned with a pretty silly play and it cost Canberra , nearly fatally . They were pretty fortunate 

Young was pretty poor today despite his carries, could well have won the game for the Knights but bombed a chance. Defensively that was a shocker on Cotric!

Young's defensive mishaps over the last 2 weeks have been very disappointing because his running performances have been nothing short of brilliant. Against the Panthers he ran for 192m and broke 11 tackles while against the Raiders he made 149 and broke 3 tackles. Even with the defensive issues he's undoubtedly our best outside back now, and that's including current Origin centre Dane Gagai. 

Overall his reads haven't been overly bad but some execution of tackle attempts has been really poor, culminating in the disaster that was the attempt on Cotric. I will note that he's having to cover for Gagai in defence a fair bit who has averaged nearly 6 missed tackles a game since rd 3 which is leaving Dom with some impossible defensive situations (see Kikau's try last week).

Bailey Hodgson ended up not playing NSW Cup despite being named, still not sure what his injury was the previous week but the kid can't catch a break. That game was televised so I watched it intending to see Hodgson get a run but instead was treated to a brilliant performance by Harry Rushton who wasn't named in the side but was a late inclusion. I haven't seen a lot of Rushton but he was far too good for NSW Cup, he ended up playing 75 minutes at lock making 42 tackles with 2 misses and running for 145m. He did some handy ballplaying and even put in a nice kick at one point but the most impressive thing for me was his demeanour, he was a real leader in the pack ordering his forwards into shape and pushing others to lift their energy. With Adam Elliott leaving I'd be very surprised if he wasn't a regular in first-grade in the near future. 

• Like 4

So it turns out Bailey Hodgson re-fractured the same elbow he broke in the trials has now had surgery again which will rule him out for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure the poor bloke has even managed to play 10 games for the club in his first two years here, glad his family is down here now at least to support him. Still signed to our top 30 for 2023 so hopefully he can get a full season out next year.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UTK said:

So it turns out Bailey Hodgson re-fractured the same elbow he broke in the trials has now had surgery again which will rule him out for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure the poor bloke has even managed to play 10 games for the club in his first two years here, glad his family is down here now at least to support him. Still signed to our top 30 for 2023 so hopefully he can get a full season out next year.

That's proper bad luck.  As you say, let's hope some more recuperation and a pre-season give him a chance to have a strong 2023.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I see that Luke Thompson has still not been named for the Bulldogs.  This is the 4th round he has missed with delayed concussion symptoms and hasn't played now since the end of May.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I see that Luke Thompson has still not been named for the Bulldogs.  This is the 4th round he has missed with delayed concussion symptoms and hasn't played now since the end of May.

Crikey, hadn’t seen that reported….that’s a worry. 😳

Thompson seems to have been granted leave by the Bulldogs, as he deals with this concussion problem. He returned over the weekend to England to visit family.

Quotes from Gus Gould:

“Luke has not seen his family for a couple of years and we felt it important he returns home now during this difficult time. He is to return to Australia on July 8th, but much will depend on how things play out back home. Some things in life are just far more important than football.”

“Luke has been missing from our team over the past month due to a concussion event. Luke has had ongoing symptoms and we have been monitoring his return-to-play protocols. We are hoping this short break to visit his family will assist in his recovery. He should be good to go once he returns.”

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Great news on the injury front. Hope he doesn't miss any Zoom meetings between now and the World Cup

He just has to keep singing to himself ‘ Zoom you chase the day away … I I I knew the moon and stars came out to play ‘ over and over again just to be sure 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He just has to keep singing to himself ‘ Zoom you chase the day away … I I I knew the moon and stars came out to play ‘ over and over again just to be sure 

Geez David it's only 7 o'clock. You've started early!

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Hat trick for Dom Young today !

He was very good. He scored a hat trick but the best part of his game was still his ball carries from his own line.  An all round top quality wing performance. 

• Like 3

Tom Burgess was very good for Souths this morning.  He came off the bench and had to play a lot of minutes as Souths lost a couple of middle forwards from the rotation.

He ran the ball very well but probably the best aspect is he had plenty of sting in his defence and put in quite a few decent shots.

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Tom Burgess was very good for Souths this morning.  He came off the bench and had to play a lot of minutes as Souths lost a couple of middle forwards from the rotation.

He ran the ball very well but probably the best aspect is he had plenty of sting in his defence and put in quite a few decent shots.

Just in passing , there was an incident in that game where a Souths ballcarrier ( Arrow ) after being tackled tipped Moses down by his ankle at marker , the dummy half ran right through that space , Moses is appealing and all the officials just stand there . I dont get things like that or why in the nrl if they pull that up you get to go back and play it . Diversion but things like that bug me . 

Edited by DavidM

Interestingly Oliver Gildart is listed as having played fullback for Wests Magpies in NSW Cup, registering 19 carries for 138m, 3 tackle breaks and a line break assist.

I wouldn't know enough about his time at Wigan but I didn't recall him playing fullback very often if ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

Interestingly Oliver Gildart is listed as having played fullback for Wests Magpies in NSW Cup, registering 19 carries for 138m, 3 tackle breaks and a line break assist.

I wouldn't know enough about his time at Wigan but I didn't recall him playing fullback very often if ever.

I saw that he was named at full back.  Seems he did OK.

I don't believe he played there for Wigan but playing at 1 may negate the issue with his size defending in the line and he has good footwork and decent speed so he may make a decent full back.  Will be an interesting experiment if they continue with him there.

• Like 1