Brits in the NRL

Tom Burgess continues in superlative form . 20 runs , 201 metres scattering blokes and superlative charges  up the middle . Dom Young with some very good contributions , a superlative tackle back then great finish moments later . Some strong yardage runs , but a very poor defensive read , a penalty relieving pressure and an error on first play on the debit side . Both for me are WC squad certs

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Tom Burgess continues in superlative form . 20 runs , 201 metres scattering blokes and superlative charges  up the middle . Dom Young with some very good contributions , a superlative tackle back then great finish moments later . Some strong yardage runs , but a very poor defensive read , a penalty relieving pressure and an error on first play on the debit side . Both for me are WC squad certs

I think the penalty on Young was harsh as it was his foot that caused the player to lose possession and while a penalty, it was not deliberate.

The try saver followed by the try a minute later was a superb play.

Agree about Burgess, he is immense at the moment.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 03/07/2022 at 10:25, Dunbar said:

I saw that he was named at full back.  Seems he did OK.

I don't believe he played there for Wigan but playing at 1 may negate the issue with his size defending in the line and he has good footwork and decent speed so he may make a decent full back.  Will be an interesting experiment if they continue with him there.

It an interesting one and something I have never considered previously. I have real doubt about his qualities at centre but as you say he has many of the attributes and build of a full back.

I'm looking forward to seeing Walmsley and Burgess playing for England. They should be a match for any front row and should help us get on the front foot. If Young, Makinson, Walmsley and Burgess were taking our hit ups coming off our own line then we should be able to get out of our own half quite regularly 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Walmsley and Burgess playing for England. They should be a match for any front row and should help us get on the front foot. If Young, Makinson, Walmsley and Burgess were taking our hit ups coming off our own line then we should be able to get out of our own half quite regularly 

What I thought was particularly impressive about Tom Burgess in the last 2 weeks is that he has played long minutes - 59 against the Eels and 71 today - running for 184 and then 201 metres but this hasn't effected his defence.  He made 36 and 34 tackles respectively and looked pretty mobile in defence.  And some sting in his tackles.

This is not something you would have said about him before.  He is absolutely right at the top of his game now and with Walmsley one of the best props in the world.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Gildart missing from both the Tigers NRL team and the Magpies Reserve grade side today. Not sure if he's injured or not.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Quite a few recent reports confirming what I previously alluded to, that Young Young is committed to Jamaica for the World Cup. He wants to represent his family, his heritage and he’s given Jason Robinson his word

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Quite a few recent reports confirming what I previously alluded to, that Young Young is committed to Jamaica for the World Cup. He wants to represent his family, his heritage and he’s given Jason Robinson his word

At 20 and in an England-based WC (where family and friends live) I don't have a problem with that. Good on him. Tedesco and others have played for heritage countries when they were early in their careers. 

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

At 20 and in an England-based WC (where family and friends live) I don't have a problem with that. Good on him. Tedesco and others have played for heritage countries when they were early in their careers. 

It’s his choice but I’d be disappointed  . Tedesco wasn’t yet at the stage of being picked for Australia , if he was in 2013 I wonder what he’d have done ? Young is bang in the frame I’d say . He’s coming on a bomb week by week , it’s a home WC , and who knows where you’ll be in 4 years or 8 years . Ultimately I respect his choice though , as we’re seeing this with many other players . Great for the WC in general but I’m a fan of his 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

It’s his choice but I’d be disappointed  . Tedesco wasn’t yet at the stage of being picked for Australia , if he was in 2013 I wonder what he’d have done ? Young is bang in the frame I’d say . He’s coming on a bomb week by week , it’s a home WC , and who knows where you’ll be in 4 years or 8 years . Ultimately I respect his choice though , as we’re seeing this with many other players . Great for the WC in general but I’m a fan of his 

Doesn't help the body language Wane has been giving off to NRL players. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I still have reservations defensively about them being on the pitch together,but one starting and the other coming off the bench should give us plenty of go forward with the more mobile Thompson playing big minutes complementing them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I still have reservations defensively about them being on the pitch together,but one starting and the other coming off the bench should give us plenty of go forward with the more mobile Thompson playing big minutes complementing them.

That's a pretty good rotation 

don't  get the "basket case club" thing people banter about on here - both the dogs and the tigers are packed with great talent but are struggling because the top clubs are packed with immense talent - both the dogs and tigers would dominate SL easily with the players they have on their books - hardly "basket case?" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

34 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

don't  get the "basket case club" thing people banter about on here - both the dogs and the tigers are packed with great talent but are struggling because the top clubs are packed with immense talent - both the dogs and tigers would dominate SL easily with the players they have on their books - hardly "basket case?" 

They really wouldn't. I think there's a fair consensus that Saints (best in SL obvs) would be around a mid table NRL team if playing week in week out in that league. Using that logic, i'd say the Tigers at least would be struggling to make top 5 in SL. Dogs may fair slightly better. 

• Haha 2

Have to say, whether it be injury or form,  things have tapered away somewhat this year for Brits in the NRL.

20 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Another Brit in the NRL…

https://www.nrl.com/

It looks like you're trying to post a link to a specific webpage. Can I help?

Clippy-e1587594649534.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A telstra tracker leaderboard for this season so far came out in the media yesterday, Dom Young has registered the third highest speed in the NRL this season, Herbie hasn't managed to get inside the top 15 this season but was 6th last season.

Top 5 speeds in km/h: 

1. Jason Saab (37.4)
  2. Stephen Crichton (37.4)
  3. Dom Young (37.3)
  4. Xavier Savage (36.7)
  5. Kalyn Ponga (36.6)

Last years results for the season:

1. Josh Addo-Carr (38.1)
  2. Jason Saab (38.0)
  3. Xavier Coates (37.6)
  4. Dom Young (37.4)
  5. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (37.3)